Apostrophe Protection Society Closes (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The group is closing because people just don't seem to care. Also, John Richards, the founder, says he is 96 and needs to cut back on his activities.

We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!
This web site, masterminded by John Hale, will however remain open for some time for reference and interest.

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk

Mr. Richards had a long career in journalism as a reporter and then an editor.

When John retired, this irritation didn't disappear but became even more obvious. Everywhere he went he saw the same mistakes over and over again until he decided that he could no longer ignore it. So he formed the Apostrophe Protection Society in the hope that he would find half a dozen like-minded people.

He takes up the story: "I didn't find half a dozen people. Instead, within a month of my plaint appearing in a national newspaper, I received over 500 letters of support, not only from all corners of the United Kingdom, but also from America, Australia, France, Sweden, Hong Kong and Canada!"

So, let's lift our glasses to Mr. Richards, who has bravely fought on the front lines of proper English for us all.

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
As already said in another thread (or profile post) that in Germany we have the same problem with the Idiotenapostroph.

For example in the plural case: car's = Auto's :fp:ROFL:

But it is even worse for us since in German it is not only that plural apostrophe but the possessive 's should actually be without it in our language while in English it works with it, if I remember correctly.

So the correct version of Sandra's car in English would be Sandras car in German, but many if not most Germans (yeah ... not German's o:) ) already would write Sandra's car instead.

This might also have to do with the unfortunate trend of anglicization (anglicizing) in German, which also has effects on grammar (not just the use and foreign words). We also call it 'Denglisch' here. Actually I sometimes like 'Denglisch' because it can be quite funny.

More on this on Wackypedia (which is actually relativley good regarding articles on lingustics): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denglisch

:cool:

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)