Any tips & information for online course design & creation? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I'm seriously thinking about designing an online course with a few more advanced followup courses. I'm looking for free information on online course design. I have been told about a few websites which are the most popular to run the course on, once it is ready. I'm also considering creating a board on the forum here for course participants, where they can share feedback and learn more about the topics.

Yesterday I sat through a one hour webinar by Jeanine Blackwell, who teaches course design. It was basically a video recording as she didn't take any questions (I'm not sure how people can get away with that, as a webinar means some interaction by the audience; there was a question box in front of the 100 people that turned in). About a third of the hour was her advertising her course on course design, which cost a thousand US dollars... but otherwise I learnt some helpful information about the steps during the process of course creation.

Like I started with, if you know of any free online course design resources, let me know. If there are any cheap courses you know of, which are around online course design, feel free to share them too.

I'm really looking at hearing from peoples first hand experience with this, as I could easily to an internet search and find what I am looking for. It can be rather valuable to get advice from those you know!

Reactions: Angela

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
You might watch a couple of other's videos and made note of what you like and don't like about the presentation - what drew you in and what bored you.

Reactions: Laron

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
Sounds interesting! What kind of courses are you thinking to have? Depending on the type of course you might design differently i mean.

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I'm looking at designing an in depth course on spiritual development.

Reactions: Linda
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I did some research on what platform was best to deliver my courses yesterday. This is my conclusion. I sent this to a family member earlier on so that's the context.

"So Udemy, which is number one in terms of user base and popularity, only caters for cheap courses. So you have to price them real cheap and be prepared for major discounts. I'm talking $10-$50 or so. But it has some major flaws and limitations. You don't get access to your email list/users/students. You can only send them a message one at a time through the site. You are not allowed to send links to them in a message and you are not allowed links to promote your self in your content/course until the last section/video. Udemy takes 50% of the profit of your course if the person finds the course on their site, rather than clicking on a link you post somewhere. (otherwise you get 97%.)

In terms of an alternative, https://teachable.com is best I found. But it's really for course delivery, so not for the purposes of having a community that sits on the site and searches for courses constantly (as on udemy, since they are so cheap, it's a popular). Teachable lets you have your own domain name and forward traffic to their site to handle all the technical stuff. However, there are some limitations but nothing too serious. It is costly though compared to doing it your self. (three times the price)

So, the best option I found is doing it your self with wordpress. There is a great plugin (paid) called https://www.learndash.com/. You therefore have your own site, with wodpress installed, install that plugin and a few others like woocommerce and control everything including the design and look. "

Reactions: Anna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)