An interesting landmass comparison between Australia and Europe (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Now consider this: I drove myself in February 1988 from a spot just about the bottom of Portugal there, across to Melbourne, in a ute, with no air conditioning, in 38 degrees heat. I slept at roadside motels along the way and took about 5 days. I also had an experience at Ceduna (go to the coast at the Great Australian Bight at the spot where France is shown) where I picked up a male hitchhiker who was crippled (on crutches) about 200km on the highway west of Ceduna and dropped him in Ceduna where he had requested to go. As I was getting out of my car to help him out, he sexually assaulted me.

At another spot on that highway across the desert, truckers tried to get me to drive my ute up into the back of their truck and they would "transport" me back to Perth but then all the way across to Melbourne.... yeah, right.

At another point, still on the highway but closer to Adelaide, I had a tyre blowout and a passing truck driver did stop and help me change the tyre.

Plenty more adventures in that chronicle, but you get the picture.

Reactions: Laron and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
A picture is worth 1000 words, or, in this case, perhaps 100 maps.
No bits of Europe sticking out of the great Australian landmass. And all those old, old rocks out there!

Reactions: Laron

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
one problem most of the landmass of australia surely has not the ever lasting trafic jams, as it is located near and in the big towns in my opinion

luxemburg is so small it is easilly not seen on a map and even unknown in the world except for the bad reputation of the finances

so a way of 25 km to drive at work, quite a distance in this little country nowadays there are 1 to 1.5 hours of drive needed, is also a sort of size comparison the trafic jams on the size of the landmass

Reactions: Lila and Laron
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
When I look at this map now, I think about how difficult it must have been to decide on the borders of each countries, including the loss of life when fighting for control.

Reactions: Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
We just had a runaway iron ore train (a very long train with many freight wagons piled high with the mined ore) in that part of Western Australia where the map of Europe doesn't reach - west of the bottom of the map of England there). The train was underway, but then the driver got out for some reason, and the train took off and sped towards a town on the coast, out of control. It covered more than 100kms before the mining conglomerate (BHP) made a remote intervention from their control centre in Perth, thousands of miles to the south. They flipped a lever and the train tracks switched, derailing the train which was travelling at high speed.

Catastrophic as this was financially for our mining operations, at least there were no casualties. If such a thing had happened in Europe, due to the decentralised population everywhere, the outcome would have been far worse.

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
We just had a runaway iron ore train (a very long train with many freight wagons piled high with the mined ore) in that part of Western Australia where the map of Europe doesn't reach - west of the bottom of the map of England there). The train was underway, but then the driver got out for some reason, and the train took off and sped towards a town on the coast, out of control. It covered more than 100kms before the mining conglomerate (BHP) made a remote intervention from their control centre in Perth, thousands of miles to the south. They flipped a lever and the train tracks switched, derailing the train which was travelling at high speed.

Catastrophic as this was financially for our mining operations, at least there were no casualties. If such a thing had happened in Europe, due to the decentralised population everywhere, the outcome would have been far worse.
There's a movie based on a similar scenario called Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. It was interesting seeing the creative ways they came up with to try and stop the train.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
There's a movie based on a similar scenario called Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. It was interesting seeing the creative ways they came up with to try and stop the train.
Yes, that one was quite heart-stopping. Set in Philadelphia, I believe.

Reactions: Laron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)