A few lines from todays social media. (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Questionable soul

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2018
I was encouraged to do more writing, this came to me, off the cuff, from this old truck photo.... try not to be too harsh.. lol..

FB_IMG_1546135649507.jpg
I can hear her now, the crack and rattle, the smell of gear oil and Nylons, shimmers of heat off sheet,plate and cast, wafting scents of aqua velva, brylcreme and Swishers, the glint of polished leather boots and belt, creased trousers and starched button downs, a Chauffers badge and a Union cap, that's where that was at..

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I love the way you wrapped up all the sensations and feelings that photo brought to you. It was a time when people were more aware of how important items came into their lives.

In the olden days, when I was a child and before tinted windows, my father showed me how to imitate pulling on the air horn. The truck driver would do it to my great delight, and I imagine he was amused at that skinny little arm hanging out the window, too.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Looking at the photo, it reminded me of the invention of india-rubber, which led to the invention of tyres for the road. Apparently, after indiarubber was invented (in late 1700s) and mashed up or masticated by an Englishman to get a more thoroughly bonded product, Charles Goodyear of the USA developed a process of vulcanised rubber in the 1840s, and then pneumatic tyres were invented later. Think of how many tyres the 18-wheelers use today, and the network of distribution that was built and enabled because of them.

Reactions: Questionable soul

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
of aqua velva, brylcreme and Swishers, the glint of polished leather boots and belt, creased trousers and starched button downs, a Chauffers badge and a Union cap, that's where that was at..
Lovely descriptive writing. Now I have to go and wipe the engine oil off my hands.....I think!

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Is that a refrigerator trailer? I see a box on the front of the trailer that could be a cooling unit.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
an old truck with a cooling agregator that must have been one heck of a sound

i know of my experience a fiat doblo with cooling agreagator give the feeling of sound of a far more sportif car

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
I love the way you wrapped up all the sensations and feelings that photo brought to you. It was a time when people were more aware of how important items came into their lives.

In the olden days, when I was a child and before tinted windows, my father showed me how to imitate pulling on the air horn. The truck driver would do it to my great delight, and I imagine he was amused at that skinny little arm hanging out the window, too.
i like my car which is now a youngtimer but i know i can count on it and helping hands if needed when a problem arrives

OP
Questionable soul

Questionable soul

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2018
Is that a refrigerator trailer? I see a box on the front of the trailer that could be a cooling unit.
Correct, a very very old unit, it's actually a blower, in those days they "iced" the load and these units circulate air.. a gas powered, lawnmower type engine.. huge advances in todays world.

OP
Questionable soul

Questionable soul

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2018
Correct, a very very old unit, it's actually a blower, in those days they "iced" the load and these units circulate air.. a gas powered, lawnmower type engine.. huge advances in todays world.
Sorry, it's a little newer than I realized, an updated early refrigerated unit.. it has components like a walk in cooler.. and ice was still required to maintain the quality of the product.. theres so much material here to expand the story it's not funny.. the trip, loading, unloading, a drivers thoughts of home, contacts along the way, the diners and fuel stops.. it just goes on and on..

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I drove courier and some dump trucks and similar trucks around the city. I've backed boats into many launches and a few trailers into into docks. But I wouldn't do what you guys do. It'll be nice to see the world like that but it ain't for me. Have fun lol

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)