World's Deepest Gold Mine (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Humans will do almost anything for gold.

In fact, as Visual Capitalist's Jeff Desjardins notes, they will even suspend themselves 2.5 miles into the Earth – braving extreme temperatures, armed thieves, and constant seismic activity – just to mine a 30-inch gold reef.

Welcome to another day at Mponeng, the world’s deepest gold mine.

I came across this story on Zero Hedge and was surprised at what that life is like. There are illegal miners who live underground to get gold. They become so pale that they are known as Ghost Miners. It is a quick read about a world I knew nothing about.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-11/descend-worlds-deepest-gold-mine

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It seems the ghost miners stay there for long periods of time, buying food and supplies from other miners, as well as the services of certain ladies.

Reactions: Stargazer

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I can't imagine living underground and never seeing the sun. No amount of gold would be worth it.

Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've been watching the National Geographic series, Mars. The habitat units were placed in a cavern to avoid the radiation on the surface. It just occurred to me that the living conditions might not be all that different.

Reactions: Vickie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)