Who writes history? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
If you think back to the history you learned in school, the short answer to the question of “Who writes history” is the victors. However, if you are fortunate enough to find journals, letters, or artwork of people who lived through different events, history becomes a rich and complicated tapestry.

For me, the actual words and pictures of individuals carry meaning and a glimpse of understanding. I have a tattered book that belonged to my Grandfather. It is about the Suez Canal, and he made notes in it describing his experiences serving there during WW I. History books don’t tell these stories.

I do appreciate the people who collect and collate data, but in doing that, the essence of the experience is lost. They paint a larger view of events, but they lack the heart. Some day people will want to know about these times, and places like the Roundtable will be a great resource because individuals are chronicling their daily lives of joys and struggles and understanding and frustrations.

So, write, draw, photograph – whatever medium calls to you. Don’t worry about how it will be received because, when it is from the heart, it speaks volumes.

Lorna Wilson

Roaming Contributor
Retired Global Moderator
Aug 4, 2016
www.lornawilsonqhhthealing.co.uk
So, write, draw, photograph – whatever medium calls to you. Don’t worry about how it will be received because, when it is from the heart, it speaks volumes.
And then we have CERN mucking about causing the Mandela Effect completely throwing off historical memories. sigh. Individual efforts such as your Grandad may be even more important in the future.

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
For me, early morning dreams usually are prescient. This morning I dreamed my husband popped back home because he forgot something. Since he just left, after picking up what he forgot, I figured the rest of the dream was important, too.

I was walking around the central part of town where young artists tend to live and talking to some young women. I told them that it was the artists who really tell history. At first they were surprised, but then they felt energized to carry on with their different work.

Since this idea has popped up again, I figure it is important. We all are artists in some way, so tell your stories.

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)