What Happens In Your Body When You Suffer From Thyroid Disease? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Glo

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 24, 2017
Arkansas
Hi all, just thought I would share this awesome article about the Thyroid gland, as it seems there is an epidemic with Thyroid problems now days along with Diabetes, Dementia and Autism and many others. My Brother had his removed and now has major memory loss and many other things occurring because of the removal. Tis an important part of the body as is EVERY part and most times the Dr.'s don't explain everything so research is good. Raluca Schachter does a great job of explaining and has given me permission to post her entire article!

What Happens In Your Body When You Suffer From Thyroid Disease?
4 July 2017/in Autoimmune diseases, Endocrine Health /by Raluca Schachter

Have you ever wondered how can the thyroid, such a small butterfly shaped gland be responsible of so many negative symptoms that affect your entire metabolism? This happens because the thyroid functions are interconnected with each system in the organism. If the thyroid doesn’t work well, neither do you and you can’t possibly feel well.

Thyroid disease has been on the rise for the past decades. Many of the thyroid dysfunctions are not correctly diagnosed or are diagnosed too late. The thyroid hormone is found in each cell of your body and this is a reason why many experts believe that the conventional way of diagnosing thyroid illnesses is not precise. Measuring TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) exclusively from blood doesn’t reflect the intracellular level of the hormone.

Additionally, the thyroid gland and the hormones it is utilizing don’t exist in isolation inside the organism. So the evaluation of a variety of functional relationships between the thyroid and various organs, glands and systems is necessary.

The Digestive System.
Chronic constipation is a common symptom when dealing with hypothyroidism. Thyroid dysfunction slows down the food transport in the intestines. This raises the risk for infections with pathogens in the intestines, contributes to inflammation, malabsorption and food sensitivities. The low level of gastrin determines intestinal discomfort, reflux, bloating and the low level of gastric acid determines protein deficiency.

Thyroid hormones strongly influence the tight junctions in the stomach and small intestine, which form the impermeable barrier of the digestive system. Leaky gut syndrome is a primary factor in autoimmune diseases as Hashimoto.

Studies have shown that thyroid hormones T3 and T4 protect the intestinal mucosal barrier against stress induced ulcer development. Inflammation in the digestive system reduces T3 through raising cortisol levels. Additionally, intestinal bacteria assists in transforming 20 percent of inactive T4 hormone into its active T3 form. Intestinal dysbiosis – the imbalance between pathogenic and beneficial intestinal flora, drastically reduces this conversion.

The Gallbladder and Liver.
Hypothyroidism affects the gallbladder function through reducing bile flow. The liver metabolizes hormones, filters toxins and cleans the blood. Hypothyroidism interferes with this process and the gallbladder and liver become congested, leading to gallstones. Thyroid hormones affect the most the liver cells responsible for detoxification. At the same time, liver dysfunction will affect both thyroid function, as well as the detoxifying mechanisms of the body. A low T3 level usually reflects liver dysfunction, because the T4 – T3 conversion takes place in the liver. This can also be confirmed through analyzing liver enzymes GGTP and ALT and their high level.

The Bone System.
The thyroid gland produces and stores calcitonin, a regulatory hormone of calcium. Hypothyroidism interferes with the correct process of long bones formation.

Insulin and blood sugar.
Persons with a reduced thyroid function absorb glucose slower than normal and so the cells can’t use it to produce energy. The surge of insulin produced in the insulin resistance stage accelerates the thyroid destruction in people with autoimmune thyroid disease. When the gland is destroyed, the hormone production will lower.

When the blood sugar level sinks below normal (hypoglycemia), the adrenal gland responds by secreting cortisol. This transmits to the liver to produce more glucose in order to reestablish normal levels. Unfortunately for the hypoglycemics, the constant cortisol production determined by hypoglycemic episodes suppress the pituitary gland function. This also negatively affects the thyroid.

Estrogen and Progesterone.
Estrogen must first be transformed in a water soluble state in the liver in order to be eliminated from the body. During this process estradiol is made, a secondary type of estrogen. Hypothyroidism can block this process, contributing to estrogen dominance, breast cancer, uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts.

Thyroid hormones sensitize the body’s cells so that they can be available to progesterone. When receptors are not exposed to enough thyroid hormones, they loose their ability to allow progesterone to enter the cells.

Fat burning.
Hypothiroidism slows down the body’s metabolism and its ability to burn fat. Adrenal hormones that stimulate fat burning are not efficient anymore and the cells’ receptors that answer to lipase – an enzyme which metabolizes fat, are not available.

Cholesterol.
Cholesterol is the main source for steroid hormones formation. Cell absorption of LDL cholesterol will be reduced if there isn’t sufficient thyroid hormone in the cells. LDL will raise significantly in blood due to dysfunctional utilization of thyroid hormone. When the thyroid of a person is underworking, fat will be stored much faster than the body can burn it, which will determine high triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in blood.

Adrenal Glands.
The HPT axis (hypothalamus – pituitary – thyroid) works as a feedback loop; if the thyroid is functioning well, your cells have sufficient energy. Some dysfunctions which can be involved in the imbalance of the axis are: methylation cycle dysfunction, dysfunction of the HPA axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal), nutrient deficiencies which are needed for thyroid hormone formation (selenium, zinc, iron, gluthatione, vitamin A, D, iodine) and liver dysfunctions.

Adrenal glands fall under the control of the sympathetic nervous system. The thyroid is strongly influenced by the parasympathetic nervous system. Often a person with hypothyroidism is in a dominant parasympathetic state, and so the sympathetic system is weaker. Considering the strong relation between adrenals, hypothalamus and thyroid, one can observe how the dysfunctional state of the exhausted adrenal glands can cause a cascade of problems for thyroid function.

As you can see in the below figure, glucorticoid hormones (which include cortisol) can suppress T4 – T3 conversion. So a person with a high level of cortisol (and stress) risks to suffer from low thyroid function. Additionally, the high cortisol level can result in excessive production of inactive reverse T3 (rT3), which will compete with T3 and so suppress thyroid function.

Other stress hormones like CRH produced by the hypothalamus will have an inhibitory effect on the thyroid, blocking TSH transport to the thyroid.

On top of this, if a person presents mercury toxicity and doesn’t consume a clean and correct die for her/his metabolism, the risk of developing hypothyroidism will become even higher.

Integrative, Functional and Efficient Healing Solutions.
There are no one-size-fits-all solutions to diet and this is essential in any healing program. No diet or treatment will work for all people. Biochemical individuality is present in all body cells. A correct diet, proper detoxification and biochemical balance are essential aspects when addressing thyroid disorders. As it happens with all illnesses, the causative factors are different in all people. If one takes action only by suppressing negative symptoms then real, long term healing can’t be achieved. Taking thyroid medication for life won’t determine the thyroid to function better. It will only act as a substitute for what the gland is not able to produce anymore and will also generate side effects in other areas of the body.

So it’s essential to support the body in a holistic and non-invasive way. This means to determine individual genetic, nutritional and biochemical requirements for each person and detect the causes of your dysfunction, rather than “treat” the thyroid.

For expert consulting in your health problems you can visit this link to follow a health program or you can schedule an appointment here.

References:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856434/?tool=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12269922

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1555538

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18506897

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12660641

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18506897

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0954-6820.1969.tb01517.x/abstract

Last edited:

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Thanks for the article, very informative. Just do add a few things that come to my mind.

Hypothyroidism can also have mental and psychological effects. E.g. some may suffer from depression. And even if they don't there's often there is apathy and tiredness and lack of vitality in these persons.

Other aspects are swellings of the body, especial so-called pretibial ones (in lower legs) due to so-called myxedema where polysaccharides get accumulated in the dermis. Also the faces look puffy and they tend to get overweighted.

The title is maybe a bit misleading because Hypo is just one of possible thyroid disease. The opposite side is Hyperthyroidism where the opposite process is happening. There's way too much T3 and T4 produced and the metabolism of the body is 'in hyperdrive' and the sympaticus is over-active. These people are not depressed but rather very stressed out. Often they eat a lot (great hunger) but unlike the hypos they do not take on weight.

OP
Glo

Glo

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 24, 2017
Arkansas
Thanks for the addition Sinera, all information is very important as it might just hit home with someone and help them understand and know what is wrong with them! I will say in addition to the info that heavy metals and fluoride will cause havoc on the Thyroid as well as the rest of the body.

Reactions: Anaeika and Sinera

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
This is pretty interesting. My mother has hypothyroidism, she has her thyroid gland removed when she was a teenager.
The article you shared seemed to process more of the physical symptoms. Whereas you initial part of the post said you recognized memory loss with your brother?

I'm intrigued because of how my mother is, it isn't memory loss specifically, but a host of other issues (simultaneously because of and not because of the removal, in my opinion, if we're looking at the spiritual implications, which I'm sure we are.) and memory loss, which could be there, seems to exacerbate the way the other issues present themselves.

I may be drawing at straws but i guess I'm hoping for more of an understanding of the link between the thyroid and potentially mental disturbances or something.

An aside, it says there can be a higher rate for breast cancer which my grandmother had. She had a breast removed which I think is pretty significant and symbolic of how my generational line has been going. To my knowledge she hadn't been diagnosed with any specific thyroid problems but that's not to say she didn't have any. She suffered from dementia and again a whole host of issues as well.

Anyway.
Thank you for sharing that.

Reactions: Anaeika
OP
Glo

Glo

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 24, 2017
Arkansas
This is pretty interesting. My mother has hypothyroidism, she has her thyroid gland removed when she was a teenager.
The article you shared seemed to process more of the physical symptoms. Whereas you initial part of the post said you recognized memory loss with your brother?

I'm intrigued because of how my mother is, it isn't memory loss specifically, but a host of other issues (simultaneously because of and not because of the removal, in my opinion, if we're looking at the spiritual implications, which I'm sure we are.) and memory loss, which could be there, seems to exacerbate the way the other issues present themselves.

I may be drawing at straws but i guess I'm hoping for more of an understanding of the link between the thyroid and potentially mental disturbances or something.

An aside, it says there can be a higher rate for breast cancer which my grandmother had. She had a breast removed which I think is pretty significant and symbolic of how my generational line has been going. To my knowledge she hadn't been diagnosed with any specific thyroid problems but that's not to say she didn't have any. She suffered from dementia and again a whole host of issues as well.

Anyway.
Thank you for sharing that.
Hi Angela, thank you for checking out the post. I think I understand what you are asking and I have found an article about the spiritual side of the Thyroid but I am getting permission to copy it but I did find one that is ok to copy that gives a lot of information as well.

http://www.alzheimer-europe.org/Dementia/Other-forms-of-dementia/Metabolic-diseases/Thyroid-disorders#fragment1

I had a healing back in the late 90's of my Thyroid gland and so much so I could feel my whole throat then body tingle. My Mother and Brother and his wife all have problems. Mom got AL, Brother got cancer in his and his wife contracted hers after she had Wegener's Disease.

I truly think it has a lot to do with the Chakra in the throat area and I also read that the REASON for Thyroid disease from the Spiritual realm is:

Thyroid Gland: Humiliation. I never get to do what I want to do. When is it going to be my turn. – Hyperthyroid: Rage at being left out.
http://kathyhadleylifecoach.com/spiritual-causes-of-diseases/

Reactions: Anaeika and Lila

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Sinera , Now that I know you are a naturopath & know homeopathy, what would you recommend for hypothyroidism?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)