Want to see a microburst in action (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
We had a pretty wild storm on Monday - cooled off rapidly and rained so hard that I imagined it would hurt my head. A couple of people caught it on tape and shared with a local tv station. The one minute video captures the moment when the "sky falls down".

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Impressive video catch!

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I don't think many of these types of weather incidents are caught on camera. It is quite a sight.
The experience on the ground was that of incredibly intense rain and winds that knocked anything loose around. There were tree branches down in the middle of that area.

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
We used to hear talk of microbursts in Phoenix, Arizona. I don't know how true it is, but I had heard that it's because the city sprawls out so far (with pavement and so much less natural stuff) and that it doesn't have a place to relieve the pressure. So if randomly hits like that.
People I worked with at an herb shop said one hit their tent at a farmers market and damaged a ton of stuff. (luckily no one was hurt.) in my experience with them, i don't think they' ve been nearly as big as the ones in the video.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Flat places where you can see far into the horizon seem like places where one is most likely to see these. Perhaps because in such places you can see so far. Having said that, I've experienced microbursts (or been very close to one) on mountains, islands and a variety of landscapes. It can be amazing to be in the midst of one. It can be equally awe-inspiring to watch from a distance, or be right next to one and just miss getting hailed on or getting that absolute drenched-in-a-moment experience, perhaps getting just some wind and a bit of light rain while a few hundred yards away, somebody else is getting hammeredO.o:D

If one is climbing in tall mountains it's always wise to be back down by afternoon, as, especially summer afternoons can gather up big storms in very little time and lightning strikes are a real possibility. I've had ringing ears, flying hair (others described it as looking like I'd stuck my finger on a Vandergraff generator... with my long hair in a flying halo around my head) and hot spots where metal touched my skin when we didn't heed that warning and were caught high on a summer afternoon. We instantly high-tailed it down a steep slope to decrease our risk and it worked. Lightning struck above us even though there was only a little, slightly grey cloud in the sky with no rain, but clearly a large potential energy.
I've always loved storms!
The trick is to stay safe:oops:

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)