Twitter, kindness, and Sarah Silverman (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Sometimes I like Sarah Silverman, but often she goes a bit too far for me. So, this particular Twitter exchange was a surprise, but also showed that each one of us is capable of a minute of love and kindness that can change another's life.

She was posting about trying to understand Trump supporters when a follower called her the c-word. Rather than one of her sharp comebacks, she took the time to read the poster's Tweet history and discovered he had suffered through traumas since childhood. She responded with a message of hope and love.

In response to Silverman’s disarming gesture, Jamrozy opened up, explaining that he’d been hardened by childhood abuse, countless let downs, and long-standing back injuries, which he couldn’t treat because, he said, he is poor.

Then she called out to followers in San Antonio to recommend a clinic that could help him and said she would cover the expenses. Within minutes, she had responses from clinics willing to help Jamrozy. One week later, Jamrozy was able to get an MRI which showed he has five herniated discs.

Most of us don’t have the financial means to foot a stranger’s medical bills, but we all have the capacity to say the simple words Silverman said to her would-be troll: “I see you,” and “I believe you.”

I could not sum it up any better.

https://quartzy.qz.com/1173220/sarah-silvermans-powerful-response-to-a-sexist-troll/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)