Total Solar Eclipse 2017 (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
All you need are a few goats or sheep to look after the grass, and you are set. Very nice.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Well, after a full day on the road, we're here in central Oregon! The traffic angels must have been working their magic because, despite all the news reports to the contrary, there were no traffic backups or gas shortages whatsoever. There were lots of folks quite obviously on their way to witness the eclipse (as evidenced by the cars and trucks full of tents, coolers, and sleeping bags) but we flowed right through with ease and grace!

Our cabin by the river is AMAZING! We're surrounded by tall redwoods, the grounds are beautifully landscaped with sweeping lawns and flowers, and the river meanders lazily by our little rocky beach. This part of the river is PERFECT, as it's quite "relaxed" and quiet, but we can hear more active parts (patches of mild whitewater) riffling quietly on either side of us.

Frogs and crickets kept us company all night and this place is truly a "heaven on earth!" I can't believe how lucky we were to "stumble" across the vacancy when we did (thank you, Spirit)!

In any case, we'll be relaxing and enjoying Gaia's splendor for the next few days, then heading a bit more "upstate" for the eclipse on Monday morning.

Here're a couple of pics from our cabin...geez, I'd love to live here permanently one day! Setting intentions to do so now!

:)

View attachment 2688View attachment 2689
How wonderful SG, your positive thinking has certainly produced amazing results, so pleased for you. I will be there in spirit for the eclipse. Love and Hugs to all your family.<3

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Came across an interesting article on Wired. There is another total eclipse in 2024 (I might make that one) that crosses through Texas and will intersect with the 2017 path in Illinois. Then there is the account from the one in the Roaring Twenties in New York. The path of totality is narrow and precise, so there was a total eclipse on one street, but not on another. That is such a wild idea.

Part of what makes a total eclipse so breathtaking has to do with invisible light. During the “moment of totality”—the minutes when sun is completely blocked—observers experience the exquisitely odd and wondrous sensation of solar emissions, both visible and invisible, vanishing right in the middle of the day.

In any given place on earth, a totality appears just once every 375 years. If it’s cloudy, you have to wait another 375 years. So a totality is a very rare event for any location. But that interval of time is just the average. Here and there, a few places will enjoy two totalities in a single decade: Carbondale, Illinois, for example, sits at the intersection of both eclipse tracks—2017’s and 2024’s. Yet residents of other cities, including Los Angeles, must cool their heels for more than a millennium.

Every eclipse path—a map of the places on earth from which the sun is completely blocked and where stars are seen during the day—is long and narrow. During that Roaring Twenties Big Apple eclipse, for example, the totality ran from central Canada southeast to Albany, in upstate New York, then down through the Bronx and Harlem, and ended unceremoniously at 86th Street in Manhattan, near an eatery that would someday be famous for hot dogs and papaya drinks. People south of the subway stop there stood in daylight: no stars out, no mind-numbing glimpse of the solar corona, no hot-pink flares shooting from the sun’s edge.

https://www.wired.com/story/eclipses-feel-weird/

Reactions: Carl and Stargazer

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Well, after a full day on the road, we're here in central Oregon! The traffic angels must have been working their magic because, despite all the news reports to the contrary, there were no traffic backups or gas shortages whatsoever. There were lots of folks quite obviously on their way to witness the eclipse (as evidenced by the cars and trucks full of tents, coolers, and sleeping bags) but we flowed right through with ease and grace!

Our cabin by the river is AMAZING! We're surrounded by tall redwoods, the grounds are beautifully landscaped with sweeping lawns and flowers, and the river meanders lazily by our little rocky beach. This part of the river is PERFECT, as it's quite "relaxed" and quiet, but we can hear more active parts (patches of mild whitewater) riffling quietly on either side of us.

Frogs and crickets kept us company all night and this place is truly a "heaven on earth!" I can't believe how lucky we were to "stumble" across the vacancy when we did (thank you, Spirit)!

In any case, we'll be relaxing and enjoying Gaia's splendor for the next few days, then heading a bit more "upstate" for the eclipse on Monday morning.

Here're a couple of pics from our cabin...geez, I'd love to live here permanently one day! Setting intentions to do so now!

:)

View attachment 2688View attachment 2689
Looking at your pics and wishing you a super, happy eclipse day. Have fun.:)

Reactions: Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I learned several things from watching a partial eclipse today.
- I am quite sure that I felt it begin, though I was indoors at that moment, getting ready to go outO_o This was a total surprise:eek:
- it is a fun time for an impromptu party. I served chocolate at ours<3
- tiny pinholes (made in a GF Cheerios box in our case) work best for viewing; not slits, nor bigger pinholes that allow too much light (ouch!);)
- it is fun, too, to get out a blank page on which to follow the (upside down) images that come through the pinholes:cool:
- it gets noticeably colder for quite a while before and after the maximum:nail
- the light changes in ways that are hard to describe; a bit like dusk with sharp shadows o_O
- a camera filter is another great way to watch and can show the corona nicely:-D
- for some reason we had hummingbirds visit 3 or 4 times during the eclipse, taking a full drink only the last time when we'd moved a bit further from the flowers it/they was/were interested in:D
- I have a great interest in being at a total solar eclipse!O.o:D

Anybody else have any impressions?

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Eclipse is weird indeed. Anything to do with the Moon is weird.

The fact that the Moon 'can' eclipse the Sun perfectly due to the perfect correlation of size and distance is very weird. Well, what a lucky coincidence ... :rolleyes:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
...And, apparently, Sinera, we have just entered a time when the size of the moon compared to the sun/distance of the moon from the sun ratio is 'just right'. I have read that this will last a few hundred million years, until the moon slowly gets further away from the earth and can eventually no longer cover the entire sun, allowing us to see the corona during a total solar eclipse.
So much to learn!:-D

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I learned several things from watching a partial eclipse today.
- I am quite sure that I felt it begin, though I was indoors at that moment, getting ready to go outO_o This was a total surprise:eek:
- it is a fun time for an impromptu party. I served chocolate at ours<3
- tiny pinholes (made in a GF Cheerios box in our case) work best for viewing; not slits, nor bigger pinholes that allow too much light (ouch!);)
- it is fun, too, to get out a blank page on which to follow the (upside down) images that come through the pinholes:cool:
- it gets noticeably colder for quite a while before and after the maximum:nail
- the light changes in ways that are hard to describe; a bit like dusk with sharp shadows o_O
- a camera filter is another great way to watch and can show the corona nicely:-D
- for some reason we had hummingbirds visit 3 or 4 times during the eclipse, taking a full drink only the last time when we'd moved a bit further from the flowers it/they was/were interested in:D
- I have a great interest in being at a total solar eclipse!O.o:D

Anybody else have any impressions?
Great points. I learned more from your post, Lila, than reading squads of literature on the internet. As far as the quandary of "Why is it so?" (think Professor Julius Sumner Miller!) it points to the universe being a designed space. However, I do not believe in one designer, but think that there have been many creator beings who have had a go, and some naughty, reckless ones also!

thF1C0SD07.jpg

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)