The Quotes Thread (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Here is a thread I'm about to pin to the top of the Roundtable Creative Gallery of the Arts board where you can come to any time and post a favorite quote you have.

Remember to use the bookmark feature if you want to be able to easily find this. (click on "bookmark" at the bottom of this post to add it to your list of Roundtable Forum threads which can be found under your profile.)

"These immense spaces of creation cannot be spanned by our finite powers; these great cycles of time cannot be lived even by the life of a race. And yet, small as is our whole system compared with the infinitude of creation, brief as is our life compared with cycles of time, we are so tethered to all by the beautiful dependencies of law, that not only the sparrow’s fall is felt to the outermost bound, but the vibrations set in motion by the words that we utter reach through all space and the tremor is felt through all time."
— Maria Mitchell

Reactions: Maryann and Lila

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
"Cogito ergo sum"

"I think therefore I am"
- René Descartes

Couldn't miss that one out.
I often 'thought' (pun intended) about how he meant 'thinking' in this context. Is it more like '(self-)awareness'? Or really just analytical normal thinking activity? To me that would not be enough or even untrue.

As you know in meditation we try to go beyond thinking to connect to all-that-is or Higher Self. We exist even without thinking actively (consider meditation, deep sleep, etc.). That's why I was always somehow critical of this assertion.

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
My first quote to mention is just a pointer to my signature - which I have for many months here already, almost from the start. This lady was a great woman (and an old soul I suppose).

Reactions: Snowmelt and Laron
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Is it more like '(self-)awareness'?
Dictionary.com states, "a statement by the seventeenth-century French philosopher René Descartes. “I think; therefore I am” was the end of the search Descartesconducted for a statement that could not be doubted. He found that he could not doubt that he himself existed, as he was the one doing thedoubting in the first place."

But I think it comes from his Second Meditation:

"I have convinced myself that there is nothing in the world — no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Doesn’t it follow that I don’t exist? No, surely I must exist if it’s me who is convinced of something. But there is a deceiver, supremely powerful and cunning whose aim is to see that I am always deceived. But surely I exist, if I am deceived. Let him deceive me all he can, he will never make it the case that I am nothing while I think that I am something. Thus having fully weighed every consideration, I must finally conclude that the statement “I am, I exist” must be true whenever I state it or mentally consider it." — Descartes, Meditation II: On the Nature of the Human Mind, Which Is Better Known Than the Body
"I am, I exist."

My first quote to mention is just a pointer to my signature
This is a great quote!

Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I often 'thought' (pun intended) about how he meant 'thinking' in this context. Is it more like '(self-)awareness'? Or really just analytical normal thinking activity? To me that would not be enough or even untrue.

As you know in meditation we try to go beyond thinking to connect to all-that-is or Higher Self. We exist even without thinking actively (consider meditation, deep sleep, etc.). That's why I was always somehow critical of this assertion.
I think when Descartes mentioned this, he meant that our real existence is on the mental plane. There are greater metaphysicians who have gone deeper than this (thinking of rishis, for instance). One from me: "I vibrate somewhere in the sum total of the universality of tone - therefore I am sound".

Reactions: Lila and Laron

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
For those in other countries, the US is a relatively young country, with more cities and development along the east coast. 200 years ago, the Tonkawa, Apache, and Comanche Indians still roamed the area where I live.

“All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.”
― T.K. Whipple

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Sinera, I used the Goethe in a speech one time. I've always loved it and felt the power of the words. As I spoke them, I looked at the audience, expecting a reaction - crickets......

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It is a slang expression meaning people did not understand or were not interested in what you were saying - they were so quiet that the crickets could be heard.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
It is a slang expression meaning people did not understand or were not interested in what you were saying - they were so quiet that the crickets could be heard.
That's a shocker to me. I think they were quiet because they were not sure what the person next to them was thinking. Who cares? Honest reaction in the moment the reaction hits! I have been to Goethe's birthplace, near the town of Weimar in what was East Germany. He was an amazing, perceptive, prolific genius.

The power of the words that you quoted are that they are the touchstone of manifestation - something we would all like to master in this age, now.

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
That's a shocker to me. I think they were quiet because they were not sure what the person next to them was thinking. Who cares? Honest reaction in the moment the reaction hits!
I was not sure why the reaction of stillness is being assessed 'wrong' or disappointing. Maybe Linda, you could explain again why you think it did not go down well or resonate with the folks there because they were still. I think that being quiet and the appearance of being thinking about sth said would be an excellent reaction instead.

I have been to Goethe's birthplace, near the town of Weimar in what was East Germany. He was an amazing, perceptive, prolific genius.
The power of the words that you quoted are that they are the touchstone of manifestation - something we would all like to master in this age, now.
He was a genius indeed. Wanted even to do more quotes of him, there are so many good ones, since he was also a good social commentator, but did not want to flood the thread so far.

Both quotes by these old poets together show to me that the 'old wisdom' (presence, manifestation, etc.) was also conveyed in earlier times, even in the West. (Were they reading buddhist/taoist or any Eastern writings maybe? I know that Schopenhauer did, not sure about Goethe or Schiller).

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Max Planck. One of the fathers of quantum mechanics. And ... a real mystic. I love his quotes.

This one has often been paraphrased as "Science advances one funeral at a time."

Reactions: Laron and Lila
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
"Whenever a habitual 'No' to life turns into a 'Yes', whenever you allow this moment to be as it is, you dissolve time as well as ego. For the ego to survive, it must make time — past and future — more important than the present moment."
~ Eckhart Tolle

Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
10665940_632660743537423_3619526327794420551_n.png10460212_633355110134653_612940988109580037_n.png

"To understand how psychic energies move and function in human beings, you have to observe how energies move and function in nature. Look at a tree: the higher the trunk and branches rise, the deeper the roots reach down into the soil. It is a system of compensation, of balance, that exists on all planes – the physical, psychic and spiritual. So, the higher human beings aim in consciousness, the deeper they descend into their subconscious.

Many who decide to embrace the spiritual life make the great mistake of neglecting the reality of the dark world they carry within. They believe that wanting to work for the light, to be wise, fair and impartial, is enough to make it so. Unfortunately, that is just not the case. Each level of consciousness brings with it particular currents, forces and entities, and those on a spiritual path must be careful to maintain a balance between these two inner worlds."
— Omraam Mikhaël

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
gh.jpg

"This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond."
— The Guest House, a poem by Rumi

Reactions: Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)