The Most Useful Weed On The Planet (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
IMG_4983.JPG

Plantain Weed grows everywhere. It's one I have spend hours pulling out of my yard and tossing in the garbage. That unsightly weed was the bain of my flower beds and I was determined to get rid of it but it keeps growing. Now I know better and I encourage that weed to grow so I can harvest it.

IMG_4984.JPG

Plantain is one of the most useful weeds on the planet. There are 200 varieties and all are equally effective as a medicine that can stop the sting of a bee bite, heal a wound, stop stomach upset, decrease your thirst and heal mouth sores. It can be used as an expectorant for coughs and colds, sooth hemoriods and, believe it or not, it does even more. It can be dried, frozen, made into a poultice, tincture, chewed or made into a warm soothing tea. It's chocked full of vitamins A and C so putting the leaves of this plant into your salad is very healthy.

The Native American Indians called plantain, White Man's Foot because everywhere white man stepped it grew they said. The Indians had many uses for it but mostly they mixed it with clay then applied it to an infected wound and wrapped it with cloth. The astringent antibiotic properties of the plantain mixed with the clay would work to draw the infection from the wound while healing it.

IMG_4985.JPG

This is one of the most useful medicine plants on the planet so when you see this weed pick it to use. I'm going to make some medicine to keep on hand through the winter. I used it mixed with bentonite clay on a tick bite and it stopped the itch immediately. We are heading to USA north Arkansas on the Thanksgiving holiday where there are miles of untouched land and plantain grows everywhere so I'm going to do some harvesting before winter sets in.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Plantain is a great plant for sure. Get a good look, because it can look like young dock. I've seen enormous plantain in pictures, but have seen dock around here (after the seed shoot fell off) and had to stop myself.

Cool story from my herbal mentor:
She was out camping with her husband and daughter once, and her daughter came over to tell her that the neighbor camper cut herself with a knife and was bleeding pretty badly. Kathy (my mentor) ran over there to see her in shock. Kathy's husband stayed with the girl while she immediately ran out into the forest to see what she could find. Her first visual was with plantain.
She said to make an adequate poultice, it needs water, so she shoved a whole slew of plantain leaves in her mouth went running back.

She said she imagined it quite a sight, seeing this crazy plant lady running over with green plant drippings hanging from her mouth. Haha. so she got to her, took the wad out of her mouth and put it directly on the woman's hand. and it stopped the bleeding. :)

If you want something a little less messy, it makes a great salve. Haha

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Angela dock does look similar to plantain but dock is very good for you too so it won't hurt you if you mix it up. It doesn't do near the healing of what plantain will do though.

That's a great example of using plantain, Angela! I read that too. The book said in an emergency just chew the plantain and spit it on the wound or sting. It's great to hear a real life story where the plantain likely saved the woman from bleeding out. Thanks for that story.

It looks like most of the varieties of plantain leaves have lines running horizontal through the leaves. Like this:
IMG_4986.JPG
Even this kind has lines running through the leaves:
IMG_4985.JPG
Dock weed doesn't have the horizontal lines:
IMG_4987.JPG

Angela, correct me if I'm wrong but in studying plantain varieties I see the horizontal lines in all the varieties. Do you agree?

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Angela dock does look similar to plantain but dock is very good for you too so it won't hurt you if you mix it up. It doesn't do near the healing of what plantain will do though.

That's a great example of using plantain, Angela! I read that too. The book said in an emergency just chew the plantain and spit it on the wound or sting. It's great to hear a real life story where the plantain likely saved the woman from bleeding out. Thanks for that story.

It looks like most of the varieties of plantain leaves have lines running horizontal through the leaves. Like this:
View attachment 1518
Even this kind has lines running through the leaves:
View attachment 1520
Dock weed doesn't have the horizontal lines:
View attachment 1519

Angela, correct me if I'm wrong but in studying plantain varieties I see the horizontal lines in all the varieties. Do you agree?

Dock truly is an amazing, nutritive herb in itself, i agree! (This would be an important distinction as yellow dock is toxic to animals.)

I'm not sure about the lines, But when i was looking at them on my own, i did see that difference, myself.
I'll look into it more. :)

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Dock truly is an amazing, nutritive herb in itself, i agree! (This would be an important distinction as yellow dock is toxic to animals.)

I'm not sure about the lines, But when i was looking at them on my own, i did see that difference, myself.
I'll look into it more. :)
Please do let us know what you find. I'm pretty new to plantain and have never used dock.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/broadleaf-plantain.aspx

http://identifythatplant.com/what-is-yellow-dock/

Okay. i found these two sites really helpful. there are good pictures, and it does appear to be pretty visually obvious with the leaves, (after learning what to look for. )

Wanted to toss this up here tonight. but I'm going to look a little further at the different species within the plantain and dock families for my own curiosity.
Excellent! These links are very helpful. Thank you, Angela. If you find anything else interesting on plantain I would be happy to hear it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)