1. Welcome Guest
    Welcome to the Roundtable Forum, the community boards for www.transients.info. If you have an account already, please log in, otherwise feel free to sign up. Note that you will be unable to post new threads, reply to existing threads, or have access to some boards and information unless you are logged in after signing up with a forum account. By being registered you can also post comments on front page articles using your forum Account.
    Dismiss Notice

The gadet that listen to the talk of the brain

Discussion in 'The Divine Future: Innovative Projects & Concepts' started by Alain, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alain

Alain Astute Creature

A device created by MIT is beeing able to decipher the signals send by the brain to the muscles in the face.

To communicate by thoughts could soon be no longer science fiction. Searchers of the pretigious Massachuesetts Institue of Technology (MIT) have developed AlterEgo, a device able to decode what the user wants to express. He analysis the signals sent from the brain to the muscles of the face during the process of verbalization.

The portable device deploys sensors distributed over seven areas between the ear, cheek and
    the chin.

The signals pass then by techniques of automatic learning to correlate them with defined words.

"AlterEgo can recognize the numbers from 0 to 9 and has a vocabulary of about 100 words" his designer precised, Arnav Kapur. The MIT graduate welcomes for example, a rate of precision of more than 90% with a dictionary - to say the least - 20 words. "But i think we'll may manage complete conversations one day, he added. The system is also equipped with a chip linked to a programm that could interrogate Google. So no voice controls are needed to obtain informations."You talk to him. He speaks to you. But no word is said, "resume Kapur.

AlterEgo promises applications in various fields, like that of the handicap or security. He includes also earphones that work by bone conduction sound, a technology assuring the bearer of the device a listening without beeing tracked by unwanted ears.

So and for fun the google translation to gain time i changed that i gave sense

Communicating through thought
    could soon no longer
    of science fiction. of the
    prestigious researchers
    Massachusetts Institute of
    Technology (MIT) have developed
    AlterEgo, a device
    able to decode what
    wants to express his bearer. he
    analyze the signals sent
    from the brain to the muscles of the
    face during the process of
    verbalization.
    The portable device deploys
    sensors distributed over seven
    areas between the ear, cheek and
    the chin. The signals pass
    then by techniques
    machine learning
    to correlate them with words
    defined. "AlterEgo can recognize
    the numbers from 0 to 9 and
    has a vocabulary of about
    100 words, "said his
    designer, Arnav Kapur. The
    MIT graduate welcomes
    for example, a pre-
    more than 90% with a
    lexicon - to say the least -
    20 words. "But I think
    we'll get to conversations
    complete one day ",
    He added. The system is also
    with a chip connected to a
    program that can interrogate
    Google. No more so
    voice commands for
    obtain informations.
    "You talk to him. He speaks to you.
    But no word is said, "
    sume Kapur.
    AlterEgo promises applications
    in various fields,
    like that of the handicap
    or security. He understands
    also earphones that work
    by bone conduction
    sound, a technology
    assuring the bearer of the device
    listening to the ears
    indiscreet.

Attached Files:

• I'm intrigued by this! I'm intrigued by this! x 4
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Linda

Linda Sweetheart of the Rodeo Staff Member Global Moderator Administrator Board Moderator

I am curious about this idea because I have some reservations about AI. It is built to allow a person to silently communicate with devices and perhaps others using the same device, without speaking.

This might be good for someone who has had a stroke and cannot speak, which becomes very frustrating for them. However, the videos are showing it as a cool thing with young people demonstrating its use.

So, I'm back in my conundrum - seeing some positives for people with physical problems but concerned that it may end up like an invisible barrier that isolates people from each other.

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention.

I did find some more info about it. https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/alterego/overview/

• That shows wisdom. That shows wisdom. x 1
    • That's insightful. That's insightful. x 1
  3. Alain

Alain Astute Creature

I see it also so. So wating to know more in the future

• I agree with you. I agree with you. x 3