Temporality (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Who here has not accepted the fact that we live in a temporal reality? Which means we are transient, we are ephemeral, we are impermanent. In this life bounded by time, we grow attachment to things, people, emotions, places. We have emotional cords that are not cut when things are over. One of the conditions in being bound by time, is that we are also bound by entropy. Even as we age, wrinkle, and dissipate, our attachments grow stronger, like invisible bonds because we think a thing; we desire to possess a thing; we desire to BE something or someone we are not.

Who here does not accept that to move on, we must first lose what we thought we held dear? In fact, that is the essence of the death of the physical body.

This truth is found in nature all around us - as transformation takes place, the chrysalis is abandoned. Look at the crumbling ruins of ancient cities that once were strong in power and chi essence. In fact, those still remaining today were the strongest of all in their time of being, which is why they have held on so long in their enduring wrack and ruin.

1. tem|por¦al|ity

[ˌtɛmpəˈralɪti]

NOUN

1. the state of existing within or having some relationship with time.

"like spatial position, temporality is an intrinsic property of the object"

synonyms: impermanence · temporality · transience · ephemerality ·

https://www.bing.com/search?q=temporality&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=8D0D7CA741DA4A5D9CEC4A7C3CE9F268&pc=EUPP_

"This too shall pass" is originally a Persian adage reflecting on the evanescence, or ephemerality, of the human condition. The phrase seems to have originated in the writings of the medieval Persian Sufi poets, and is often attached to a fable of a great king who is humbled by the simple words.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

This Too Will Pass | by Ajahn Brahm | 18-05-2012

upload_2017-10-8_11-40-48.jpg

Stupas: enduring beauty from a bygone and forgotten culture.

An object my baby girl desired so much, but now forgotten.

The old and the young only have a passing reference to each other.

How long will this last?

Please share your own pictures and thoughts about what is ephemeral, temporal, and impermanent, or something you may wish to hold on to, but you know Sufi poets were right in the long run.

My strong, gut feeling and intuition, in this time of transition and transformation that we experience now, is that if we can let go of all the little and big attachments we think are so necessary to our continuing existence we will learn the sublime mastery of living in the now – what has been termed the “New Earth”, but is easier to understand as new way of being.

OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Believe me when I say I posted that video without first having listened to it... but I was following the stream of consciousness in the now. It felt right. OK, so then I just played it, and it fitted right in with the theme and left me smiling at this lovely, conscious man. And I found out that this was recorded right here in Perth, Western Australia, where I live! Which is the kind of confirmation that will keep happening, without fail, when your trust and light leads the way, over your mind and thinking consciousness.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Even as we age, wrinkle, and dissipate
I’m not aging, wrinkling, or dissipating. I’m “youthing” instead!

Someday, many, many years from now, I’m sure I’ll wish to leave this body behind. In the meantime, however, my intention is to enjoy it in perfect health. If something happens along the way that allows me to shift into some kind of lighter, more efficient body (like a light or crystalline-based body), then I’m ok with that too!

I think we’ve all been sold a false bill of goods about health, physical limitation, and “age” for far too many generations. It’s high time we start changing that, if you ask me!

:-D

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Well, as this site is called 'Transients' I guess you could say that, on some level, all of us here are on board with the idea of temporality being a thing that one does not necessarily want/need to attach to:-))
Thanks for the reminder of a lovely saying and a video I hope to have time to watch... later:bag:ROFL:;)

PS I particularly love the pic of the old+young hands holding each other<3

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Ebb and flow seem to be words that describe my experiences now. Saw some folks I've not seen in over a year, and it was as if no time passed. Met some others for the first time in the physical, and it was as if I was with my sisters. Although we were together for a fairly short time, it seemed much longer.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Please share your own pictures and thoughts about what is ephemeral, temporal, and impermanent, or something you may wish to hold on to, but you know Sufi poets were right in the long run.
What a fantastic and thought provoking post Melt. Thank you for this.

As a child I was moved everywhere, often without consultation or care. When we left Fiji, I lost most of my belongings as we came home on leave and then had to stay. So I never said goodbye to my horse, my bike, my friends (note the order of importance there)

This pattern has continued throughout my life, twice more I lost everything and now I am slowly coming to accept the impermanence of life. When I am in my soul energy, I miss nothing because somehow I am everything, now.

The worst was the last time, losing everything in Thailand. And I mean everything, photos, clothes, anything that gave me an identity. I wept. Oh how I grieved. My HS just said "It is not relevant to who you are becoming" so no hope of retrieval.

Most of my tears were focussed on my crystal Big Molly. She was a gift in 1998 and was more like a pet than a crystal. I used to take her with me when I went to stay with folk "Bring Big Molly"

Eventually, I carted her out to Thailand and there she stays. For over a year, just the thought of her would have me in floods of tears. Looking at her photo now, I am once again thrilled at her beauty. Big Molly.jpg

I do not like change, this is deep in my egoic shield. If I was a train, I would probably stay on the tracks even if I saw a train coming in the other direction rather than change course. But that is how I am today. Tomorrow I may be totally different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)