Self-healing concrete + fungi (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When I came across this article, I had to read through it a few times. A special fungi that feeds on the elements of crumbling concrete could create a repair. Basically, they are saying that fungi poop could fix deteriorating concrete.

This is an interesting idea; however, I would want the possibility of unintended consequences investigated thoroughly. There are plenty examples of one fix creating a whole new problem, but if this works, then it could be a big help until we develop a new material to replace concrete.

The research team led by Jin explored a number of different fungi as potential candidates for inclusion into concrete as a dormant self-healing feature, and found at least one that shows great promise for knitting cracked concrete back together again.

A fungus called Trichoderma reesei was found to germinate and grow well in the high pH environment produced by the dissolving of the calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) from the concrete, and to precipitate calcite crystals on its hyphae. This natural process could enable the fungus to fill in the cracks in concrete with calcium carbonate, essentially knitting it back together again by functioning as a bio-based self-healing agent.

https://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/fungi-could-help-concrete-heal-its-own-cracks.html

Reactions: Anaeika and Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
How would they decide where to excrete their calcite crystals?
Would there be a way to entice them to stay within the cracks, and then become dormant after finishing?
Now that would be something if we could get 'on a level' with fungi so as to be able to communicate such things to each otherO.o:D:cool:

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Gee when I opened the article I was looking for singing mushrooms.:):-D:ROFL:. All i got was fungus shitting concrete.:(:p. Ya gotta change the title. Spell check wins again:)|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)