Rocks from southwest Colorado (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
If you ever visit our home, you will find bowls of rocks and shells in every room. I've picked them up, or rather they picked me since I was a little girl. On one of our moves, I overheard a conversation between a packer and my husband. "Sir, this is a box of rocks." .... long sigh... "I know, just pack them up." They've gone with me everywhere, and they continue to find me. o:)s

The first group is from the place we stayed near the San Juan River in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. I was walking around the property one morning, and they called to me. The picture does not capture their colors or sparkles well. Most of them have that purple-blue color.

Lodge rocks.jpg

Then we found a local rock shop. I was in heaven because not only could I find cool local rocks, but there was someone to identify them.

This group came out of raw ore bin. We had a lot of fun digging through and finding treasures. The big piece is Rosophia, which a newly identified rock/gem. It is found only in the Rocky Mountains, and is quite inexpensive there, but very costly elsewhere. It is composed of reddish Feldspar, clear or white Quartz and black Biotite. The name comes from the Rose of Sophia, which refers to the soul of the world. The next piece is jasper from Wolf Creek. I noticed as I took the picture that it was almost glowing from being next to the rosophia. The third piece is a fantastic piece of agate, also from Wolf Creek.

Rosophia.jpg

The last group is of the polished pieces called out to me, especially the green one. It was almost yelling at me to come home and join the party of crystals in the basket at the front door. The top one is agate from Wolf Creek. The second one is travertine calcite, which is the bedrock of Pagosa Springs. This type of rock is formed as part of the activity of hot springs.

The next row is Amazonite from Wolf Creek, which is not found in the Amazon, but someone thought the color was similar to that area. It is known as the stone of truth and courage and has been used as decoration and talismans around the world including the Amazonian women and King Tut. The next one is pyrite with quartz from Wolf Creek. The last one is Creede amethyst, which is banded amethyst and milk quartz.

The young man who patiently helped me and answered my questions carefully wrapped each piece and labeled each one so I would not forget.

Polished rocks.jpg

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
On one of our moves, I overheard a conversation between a packer and my husband. "Sir, this is a box of rocks." .... long sigh... "I know, just pack them up." View attachment 2459
Your husband and mine should have a talk one day, lol!:ROFL:
If it's not baskets of rocks it's boxes of books...;)
Those pieces looks lovely. It must have been a magical vacation<3

Lois, those adderstones look cool. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Linda and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Here are a few which had a previous owner named Linda.
Hello, you all!

Rocks and crystals just pop up in my life. On our trip, as I started up an trail, a chunk of quartz appeared right at my feet. I knew I was supposed to pick it up and do something with it. So, I carried it around for awhile. As we were leaving, we saw a very old couple heading out along the trail with their little dog. The thing that impressed us was that they were still exploring the world even though they were walking with canes.

I knew I was supposed to give them the quartz, so I walked up and told them just that. The woman laughed and said "well, we probably need it". Then she handed me a quarter that her husband just found, saying that I should have it. We talked with them for a bit. I want to be as cool as they are when I am at that age.

I looked down at their dog, and it shared that it was taking all its energy to watch over those two. It was so sweet.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
On one of our moves, I overheard a conversation between a packer and my husband. "Sir, this is a box of rocks." .... long sigh... "I know, just pack them up."
Isn't it wonderful how the people who love us, put up with us?

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Thank you for sharing these beautiful specimens, especially the rosophia. Rocks have a lot to teach us in this world, as they are slow movers through time, they experience time organically, and experience change in a massive way, such as going from mountains to sands. They are the tools of master artists, who cause creation in the landscape. They are not just the result of conglomeration, yet they do accept sediments and integrate them into themselves. They experience transformation and transmutation, and sometimes cosmic space travel. I think sometimes they inspire themselves, sitting there looking at the view. Imagine being a piece of rock looking out at the Three Sisters, in the Megalong Valley, Katoomba, New South Wales. They meet their counterpart in ice formations, steam geysers and waters carving canyons. Their age cannot be foretold, as our counting systems cannot value the time they have spent in creation. And, as Linda's posts show, their souls speak without larynx or tongues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)