Quakers and Nuns file for greater transparency on lobbying (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The Friends Fiduciary Corporation manages funds for Quaker churches and schools, as well as the Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica. After I recovered from the idea of these groups investing money in drug companies, I was heartened at their efforts to require these companies to disclose their lobbying activities.

One of their investments is with Vertex Pharmaceuticals, which manufactures several drugs, including one for cystic fibrosis. The federal filing is asking for transparency in monies spent on lobbying efforts, including payments it makes to trade groups and spending on “grassroots” communications that seek to shape public opinion on policy issues.

The basic idea is to determine the level of behind the scenes involvement this company has in getting approvals for its new drugs. Some of the contributions may be to so called tax-exempt groups that assist with writing of bills for lawmakers. In other words, this filing would shine a light on the hidden activities of these companies, who are both making drugs and effectively writing the rules about their development and use.

In an interview, Friends Fiduciary executive director Jeffery Perkins said that the measure was primarily aimed at asking Vertex to disclose payments to trade groups that engage in lobbying, such as the Biotechnology Innovation Organization, or BIO. Friends Fiduciary is pursuing similar transparency measures for nine other companies, including Pfizer (NYSE: PFE).

Of course, the drug companies are opposed because it will place an undue burden on them to make such reports. Having spent years looking at income and expense statements, I know it is not that difficult, unless some expenses are hidden. Even then, someone knows exactly where those expenses are. So, my hat is off to the Friends Fiduciary Corporation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2017/04/18/vertex-at-odds-with-religious-investors-over.html?ana=e_bost_bio&s=newsletter&ed=2017-04-20&u=16617299604ce0c56c5e6ccaa41cbf&t=1492704318&j=77987151

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Seems like a move to become part of something so as to become part of its mechanism for movement and change. Very intriguing way of going about things!

Reminds me of how a person in a book I just read, Fire Monks, said that when he was enabled to participate in the official communication channels he felt his participation had become official. In his case, this made him feel the weight of his decisions much more acutely.

I enjoyed the book, btw, and would recommend it. It talks about the response to a 2008 fire threatening the Zen Buddhist Center, called Tessajara, in the Ventana wilderness of the California coast. The subtitle is 'Zen Mind Meets Fire'. There was (is?) a blog about it too, called 'Sitting with Fire'.

Edit: Actually, I am realizing that what I liked most about the book was how deep a dive it took into the decision making processes of a group of people who ultimately each made their own unique decisions under trying circumstances, sometimes against expert advice. They did so consciously and without knowing the outcome but doing their best anyway. It included a leader who appreciated the dissenting voice in the group for the clarity that voice brought of its owner's decision being able to be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Lila, you've summed it up well. Our actions come with responsibility. While many of us may believe there is way too cozy a relationship between agencies like the FDA and EPA and the ones they are supposed to monitor, we don't have a legal standing from which to operate. I am hopeful with this situation because who can say the Quakers have a political agenda.

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Maybe consciously individualistic societies are yet alive and well?

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)