1. Welcome Guest
    Welcome to the Roundtable Forum, the community boards for www.transients.info. If you have an account already, please log in, otherwise feel free to sign up. Note that you will be unable to post new threads, reply to existing threads, or have access to some boards and information unless you are logged in after signing up with a forum account. By being registered you can also post comments on front page articles using your forum Account.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Crepe Myrtles

Discussion in 'Homesteading, Horticulture, Permaculture, Prepping' started by Linda, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Linda

Linda Sweetheart of the Rodeo Staff Member Global Moderator Administrator Board Moderator

These trees put out big shows in the spring and summer of deep pink or white blooms. Sometimes ours have gone another round with blooms in the fall.

Some people "top" the trees, cutting all limbs to one height. I never liked it because it seemed so brutal. When I prune, I explain what I am doing and why to our plants and trees. Proper pruning helps a tree or shrub in most cases.

Our local gardening show put out this you tube video, which is one of the best I've seen on the subject.

• I'm intrigued by this! I'm intrigued by this! x 1
  2. Lila

Lila Realized Sentience Staff Member Global Moderator Board Moderator

Lol, I do this too:))

If I am going further and removing a tree/bush/weed/plant I spend lots of time beforehand wondering, asking and trying out the idea and all the alternatives I can think of and then give the plant (if it's big enough) a hug and an explanation before 'doing the deed'. If at all possible I just find them a new home. I have found that doing this makes me feel better about the result more than anything else does.

Sigh, sometimes it's tough being a tree hugger. I don't even know when and how I became one!:)|

The results of pruning can be really awesome if done with love and care!