Opportunities just pop up (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I had to take my brand new computer back to the Apple store because I got the flashing "?" of death (equivalent of the blue screen of death). The support person said she could talk me through figuring out what happened, but I said no, thanks. This is a brand new computer that is not supposed to have this problems, and I want someone else to fix it. (It was not me - some problem with software update.)

I knew as I got ready this morning that something important was going to happen. I think all the people who work in the store are in their 20s and don't have much regard for older people. So, I began with an explanation that I was not an idiot and that my computer experience goes back to the days of key punching and comp centers. They cannot comprehend this.

As the young woman figured out it was a problem caused by the software update, which older computers are experiencing, we decide on a complete restore with a fresh download from Apple. It would take about 30 minutes.

Our conversation turned to dogs, then the importance of spending time outdoors, then the importance of doing things in moderation. She says she knows some older people who think computers are evil, and I counter with it is all in the use, and she agrees.

The most important part of the conversation was about taking time to reflect, consider, and choose for yourself what you want to do. I went on to explain that when I find myself reacting to something, I take time to reflect on why I jumped to that place.

This was the part that floored me - she'd never thought about doing that - it had never come up in her life. In other words, she did not know she had the tools to make decisions about living her life. I noticed that the upload had finished, but she kept talking to me. I could see a light of understanding flick on in her eyes.

I've made several posts about this subject, and I continue so each of us will remember that we have opportunities every day to make a difference. I'm not sure why it was so important that I connect with this young woman, but just that it was. I got an image of a branch on a tree sprouting out with new life.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for posting this, Linda. I agree that the some of the things that happen as an every-day topic are exactly the things that are being highlighted now, or illuminated, if you like. You ask other people to ponder other aspects of a situation, and that opens chords within them.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Just another bit of everyday beauty in the life of Linda! Love it<3

Reactions: Stargazer and Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)