Only 1 TBSP of Coconut Oil Produces Powerful Health Changes, Study Confirms (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
IMG_5066.JPG
I try to use coconut oil as much as possible. I find the taste a little strong for cooking but I've gotten into the habit of just eating a tablespoon of it everyday if I'm not using it in a smoothy or some other eatable.

I love to use it as a natural sunscreen. It has an SPF 5 naturally and it's great for your skin. I don't mind smelling like fresh coconut. :)

I know there are a lot of other uses. How do you use it?

By Sayer Ji

Contributing writer for Wake Up World

A simple tablespoon daily of coconut oil could promote weight loss and improve cardiovascular health, a clinical study reveals.

This study, titled “A coconut extra virgin oil-rich diet increases HDL cholesterol and decreases waist circumference and body mass in coronary artery disease patients“, holds great promise for those suffering from overweight, obesity, and heightened cardiovascular disease risk, and against which pharmaceutical approaches often fail.

Coconut oil was once considered a “bad fat,” as it contains saturated fatty acids which conventional nutritionists did not distinguish from synthetically produced ones such as margarine. We know far better now, and increasingly, natural sources of saturated fats are gaining appreciation as not only “not-bad,” but actually beneficial, particularly for the brain. You can check out the first hand literature on coconut’s health benefits on the GreenMedInfo.com database, or read our article, 13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties of Coconut Oil.

This study evaluated the health effects of a nutritional treatment with extra virgin coconut oil, focusing primarily on how it affects HDL cholesterol and a range of anthropmetric measurements (e.g. body weight, size, circumference). The average age of the participants was 62.4 ± 7.7 years, with 70% of elderly individuals, and 63.2% of males. All of them were hypertensive and 94.5% had blood lipid profiles indicating “dyslipidemia” and on standard, cholesterol lowering drug treatment.

In the first phase, a three month period, 136 enrollees were put on a standardized diet. From the third month onward, the 116 who completed the first phase were place in two intervention groups: 22 remained on the diet, and 92 were put on the diet + 13 ml (.43 ounces) daily of extra virgin coconut oil, which is equivalent to about 14 grams, or about 1 Tablespoon (15 grams).

The results of the the three-month coconut oil intervention showed that relative to the standard diet, the coconut group saw a decrease in all six of the bodily parameters measured, including:

• Weight: -0.6 kilograms (1.322 pounds)

• Body Mass Index: -0.2 kg/m2

• Waist Circumference: -2.1 cm

• Neck Perimeter: -4.0 cm

• Systolic Blood Pressure: -3.3 points

• Diastolic Blood Pressure: -3.5 points

IMG_5067.PNG

Continue to article

Reactions: Anaeika and Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I keep a jar on the counter for use on cuts and scrapes and moisturizer for hands and face. I have another jar in the pantry for cooking. The taste does come through slightly, so think about how coconut would taste with whatever you are cooking.

I'm always putting it on injuries of anyone who comes to our home. Some of them are finally getting with it.

Reactions: Anaeika and Vickie
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I keep a jar on the counter for use on cuts and scrapes and moisturizer for hands and face. I have another jar in the pantry for cooking. The taste does come through slightly, so think about how coconut would taste with whatever you are cooking.

I'm always putting it on injuries of anyone who comes to our home. Some of them are finally getting with it.
I've never heard of using it for cuts and scrapes but I think I read a long time ago that it's a natural antibiotic. Keeping it by the sink is truely an excellent idea. My hands look like I'm one hundred with the cold dry weather up here. I'm putting mine by the sink right now. I might shop for a pretty jar to put it in. Great ideas!

Reactions: Anaeika and Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Everything heals faster with coconut oil. I've even managed to convince my husband and the 3-yr-old next door.

It works much better on dry skin than any lotion I've used. Also, lotion is hard to wash off, if you are going to handle food. With coconut oil, it does not matter if a little is left on your skin.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Everything heals faster with coconut oil. I've even managed to convince my husband and the 3-yr-old next door.

It works much better on dry skin than any lotion I've used. Also, lotion is hard to wash off, if you are going to handle food. With coconut oil, it does not matter if a little is left on your skin.
Now that's a thought - lotions are mostly all made with something you don't want to get on your food. Coconut oil doesn't hurt anything!

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I like to put a bit of essential oil in my coconut oil bowl that I keep handy for dry or otherwise unhappy skin spots. Which essential oil I use varies but frankinscence is a common one because of its skin-friendliness.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Coconut oil is amazing and one recommended by my naturpathic dr for cooking! It can withstand high heat.

Did you know that coconut oil was used by farmers to fatten up their cows? It didn't work! The cows began losing weight! It does aid in weight loss and b/c you are feeding your body the fat it needs, it stopped craving any ol' fat. It's a lot like eating avocados and salmon, which also has good fats needed by your brain.

Coconut oil is also a good carrier oil for essential oils as well. I use fractionated coconut oil b/c it doesn't stain my clothes and is absorbed by the skin and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy. The best way I can describe fractionated is that it is like 2% milk bc the longest fatty acid chains are removed.

My philosophy is if I wouldn't ingest it, then I won't put it on my skin. Skin is our largest organ and we need to use clean products for optimal health.

Also, you can oil-pull by swishing coconut oil in your mouth.

I could go on, but don't want to write a novel!

Reactions: Lila

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Costco sells a high quality tub of coconut oil at a good price. (I don't work there and am not trying to promote them. Just thought I'd share a tip.)

Reactions: Lila and Vickie
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Costco sells a high quality tub of coconut oil at a good price. (I don't work there and am not trying to promote them. Just thought I'd share a tip.)
I sure wish we had a Costco. Arkansas is a Walmart/Sams state. I need some unprocessed coconut oil. I'm using my cheaper coconut oil as a hand and body lotion as Linda suggested.

Reactions: Anaeika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)