Nazi era German Anthem was sung in USA! (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lai Jumoke

Involved Wayfarer
Retired Moderator
Nazi era German Anthem sang in front of German players. How can this be a mistake, it has almost been 75+ years,,, why would that part suddenly come out? Conspiracy?

See the full news below:

[Source http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/02/use-german-fed-cup-nazi-era-national-anthem-andrea-petkovic/64138/}

German tennis players and a few of my German friends were in shock to heear this news. It has been more than 75 years that the part that was sung has been out of use. Who and why did they do it that remains the question.

Andrea Petkovic said that the blunder was the "epitome of ignorance." (AP)

Ahead of this past weekend's Fed Cup tie between Teams USA and Germany in Hawaii, fun, beach-y moments such as the Americans' Baywatch exercise made for lighthearted fare.

Then the deluge.

A singer delivered a German national anthem that included lyrics from the country's Nazi-era version.

Deutsche players including Andrea Petkovic were horrified. German tennis scribe Doris Henkel quoted Petkovic's response, and German Fed Cup captain Barbara Rittner saw the Hawaiian rain as something of a sign.

The USTA moved quickly to soften the blow of the outrage, though the German Tennis Federation noted the ongoing feeling of the slight with a terse reply on Twitter.

Petkovic later sought to provide further clarity to her remarks via a Twitter post:

Team USA won the tie, 4-0, on the strength of Alison Riske and CoCo Vandeweghe's singles play. Vandeweghe rattled off 10 straight games from a set and a break down against Petkovic to seal the victory.

Strained relations due to the musical gaffe persisted throughout the weekend, but it was the tennis that Rittner didn't find thrilling.

"It was probably the worst Fed Cup on the most beautiful island,” she said. “We didn't take our chances. That's how it is."

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Nazi era German Anthem sang in front of German players. How can this be a mistake, it has almost been 75+ years,,, why would that part suddenly come out? Conspiracy?

German tennis players and a few of my German friends were in shock to heear this news. It has been more than 75 years that the part that was sung has been out of use. Who and why did they do it that remains the question.

Andrea Petkovic said that the blunder was the "epitome of ignorance." (AP)
I wonder if it isn't just another case of all these strange energies having their effect on people. Their true colors seem to be showing through the cracks...it's like they just can't seem to help themselves!

:bag

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I think it is a case of "You can't fix stupid".

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Ah, but perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all. A way to send a message or make a statement? Maybe I'm reading too much into it (conspiracy line of thought), but the old thought that nothing really happens by mistake in this world rings in the back of my mind.

Reactions: June and Stargazer

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Ah, but perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all. A way to send a message or make a statement? Maybe I'm reading too much into it (conspiracy line of thought), but the old thought that nothing really happens by mistake in this world rings in the back of my mind.
Obama in 2013: 'America is exceptional!'
Trump in 2017: 'America first!'
Merkel & The Krauts: 'Deutschland über alles!'

:ROFL::-D:))

Sorry but ... it just makes me laugh, should I worry about this? Nah. I'm German and I would not have been horrified by it like it is said in the text of some of the German players, which I do not believe they were. (It is actually also shown on TV that some of them were laughing and as a response also singing the right stanza for themselves in return).

Really, I'd just cracked up when I would hear the 'über alles' (going ROFL so to speak). But maybe that's just me and my silly dry sense of humour. People taking things too seriously ... well, er ... seriously. :cool:;)

(By the way: Who watches Fed cup games nowadays anyway? :fp)

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Well Sinera, perhaps you are right. I feel that the point is not that it was done. It is more the why it was done? If it was to send a message (no loss of motion in some power circles) to somebody, it sure was delivered well.

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Strained relations due to the musical gaffe persisted throughout the weekend, but it was the tennis that Rittner didn't find thrilling.

"It was probably the worst Fed Cup on the most beautiful island,” she said. “We didn't take our chances. That's how it is."
Oh come on people grow up. Stop being offended by such trivialities. If you want to be offended, try looking at the weapons your government supplies to Saudi Arabia that kills children in the Yemen. Seriously. Get real!

65c43752f962eb3b3955390be11f69ed.jpg

Reactions: June and Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Perhaps there was some message intended - who knows.

However, recently having experienced jaw-dropping stupidity from several service providers and our city government, I can see how it might happen. A person was told to get the German anthem and just took it from Google without actually looking at it. So many people are accustomed to being fed info, that they've lost their ability to think and reason.

I love Fry's quote about being offended. I've always thought someone saying they were offended or bored said more about the person speaking.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Perhaps there was some message intended - who knows.

However, recently having experienced jaw-dropping stupidity from several service providers and our city government, I can see how it might happen. A person was told to get the German anthem and just took it from Google without actually looking at it. So many people are accustomed to being fed info, that they've lost their ability to think and reason.

I love Fry's quote about being offended. I've always thought someone saying they were offended or bored said more about the person speaking.
I love Fry full stop. You should hear his speech against religion
Fry Forever!

Reactions: June and Stargazer

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Nationhood has lost the war, because all wars propagate the belief that one nation is above all and better than any other. I do not put the Australian nation above aborigines. They call themselves First Nation, but that is because they are hitting out in reaction to the heavy-handed clamp of politically correct bureaucracy (something we have far too much of in this country). Aborigines spoke first, and they spoke longest - and they learned to walk in Dreamtime!

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Nazi era German Anthem san
The link you included is dead and the YT videos no longer work. (YT channel account terminated from copyright infringement it seems)

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)