Musings on Sacred Space (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I seem to have sacred space on my mind recently.
Here is a short poem I just considered.

I am sacred space.
Sacred space is in my heart, my mind, my belly, and all around me.
I live in sacred space.
I am sacred space.
I have all the sacred space I need.
Sacred space and I are one.

Sacred space is clearly vital to me in some hard-to-define way since a sacred space in a busy, chaotic, harsh city was the first view I had of what I eventually decided was my glimpse of the new earth.
And (lol! of course) engaging with sacred space is what my avatar is all about<3

What an amazing day it was when I realized that this image/concept/slowly growing space I'd seen must be this 'new earth' folks were all now talking about. When I had that first glimpse of the sacred space that became my bridge to the new earth (during a sound healing session) I'd not heard of the concept at all until months/a year later.
And, yes, there was an actual bridge visual involved; though it started as a partially completed bridge (the other end wreathed in fog so that it was not visible). The bridge was was gradually added to/completed until it crossed the stream with beautiful foliage overflowing its banks to the other side (the 'new earth' side).
Then, when I arrived and got my first glimpse of the heart of the new earth, the first thing (again) that I saw there was a new sacred space that eventually got encircled multiple times by a loooong ribbon of roses with a glowing crystalline 'presence' in its center.

It was a magical moment to realize that this beautiful place that formed from my sacred space must be what so many folks were referrring to.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
You said to me recently about holding space, and I think that is a realisation that the New Earth is actually about relationship in a level of consciousness that brings sacred space into our daily moments of interaction. No matter if it be a physical locale, or a head space, or a loving space with a beloved, or a musical space, or a fecund, tropical space, it is how we respond and interact to everything at the higher level.

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
You said to me recently about holding space, and I think that is a realisation that the New Earth is actually about relationship in a level of consciousness that brings sacred space into our daily moments of interaction. No matter if it be a physical locale, or a head space, or a loving space with a beloved, or a musical space, or a fecund, tropical space, it is how we respond and interact to everything at the higher level.
You seem to have a gift for saying these things so succinctly<3 and beautifully!

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
My sacred space I visit when I'm quiet and alone. Wooded and full of flowers on the waterfront. I've said I don't meditate but my daydreaming of a place like that prob is a form of meditating. Maybe I do it unconciously with out realizing. I Love going there to my woods in my head...

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
My sacred space I visit when I'm quiet and alone. Wooded and full of flowers on the waterfront.
When I think of a place I love it's usually some sort of wooded scene with water and flower in it. How can you not love that combination of beauty?:-D

I wonder what sacred space looks like to others?...

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
PG, I think you are surfing the Theta brain waves, when you hang out in nature. Meditation is also when your theta brain waves start to dominate the day time Beta waves because you are going deeper, becoming centred, relaxed, and chilled.

Check out what this article says about Beta and Theta (and Gamma) waves. I included a couple of commenters at the bottom of the post who had an opinion about the result when use of marijuana and then subsequent dropping of that use would occur.

5 Types Of Brain Waves Frequencies: Gamma, Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta

Share3K
Reddit
Stumble70
Email
Shares 3K
It is important to know that all humans display five different types of electrical patterns or “brain waves” across the cortex. The brain waves can be observed with an EEG (or an “electroencephalograph”) – a tool that allows researchers to note brain wave patterns. Each brain wave has a purpose and helps serve us in optimal mental functioning.

Our brain’s ability to become flexible and/or transition through various brain wave frequencies plays a large role in how successful we are at managing stress, focusing on tasks, and getting a good night’s sleep. If one of the five types of brain waves is either overproduced and/or under produced in our brain, it can cause problems. For this reason, it is important to understand that there is no single brain wave that is “better” or more “optimal” than the others.

Each serves a purpose to help us cope with various situations – whether it is to help us process and learn new information or help us calm down after a long stressful day. The five brain waves in order of highest frequency to lowest are as follows: gamma, beta, alpha, theta, and delta.

5 Brain Waves: Frequencies To Understand
Before I get into specifics, it is important to realize that when I refer to a certain brain wave, I am implying that a particular brain wave is “dominant.” Throughout the day in your waking state, your EEG will display all 5 types of brain waves at the same time. However, one particular brain wave will be dominant depending on the state of consciousness that you are in.

For example, if you are awake, but have really bad ADHD, you may have more slow wave (alpha and/or theta) activity than beta waves. During sleep usually there are combinations of the slower frequencies, but even gamma has been found to be involved in rapid-eye movement (REM). Below is a brief description of each brainwave state, but a more in-depth understanding can be derived from the book “Getting Started with Neurofeedback.”

Gamma Waves
These are involved in higher processing tasks as well as cognitive functioning. Gamma waves are important for learning, memory and information processing. It is thought that the 40 Hz gamma wave is important for the binding of our senses in regards to perception and are involved in learning new material. It has been found that individuals who are mentally challenged and have learning disabilities tend to have lower gamma activity than average.

• Frequency range: 40 Hz to 100 Hz (Highest)
  • Too much: Anxiety, high arousal, stress
  • Too little: ADHD, depression, learning disabilities
  • Optimal: Binding senses, cognition, information processing, learning, perception, REM sleep
  • Increase gamma waves: Meditation
Beta Waves
These are known as high frequency low amplitude brain waves that are commonly observed while we are awake. They are involved in conscious thought, logical thinking, and tend to have a stimulating affect. Having the right amount of beta waves allows us to focus and complete school or work-based tasks easily. Having too much beta may lead to us experiencing excessive stress and/or anxiety. The higher beta frequencies are associated with high levels of arousal. When you drink caffeine or have another stimulant, your beta activity will naturally increase. Think of these as being very fast brain waves that most people exhibit throughout the day in order to complete conscious tasks such as: critical thinking, writing, reading, and socialization.

• Frequency range: 12 Hz to 40 Hz (High)
  • Too much: Adrenaline, anxiety, high arousal, inability to relax, stress
  • Too little: ADHD, daydreaming, depression, poor cognition
  • Optimal: Conscious focus, memory, problem solving
  • Increase beta waves: Coffee, energy drinks, various stimulants
Alpha Waves
This frequency range bridges the gap between our conscious thinking and subconscious mind. In other words, alpha is the frequency range between beta and theta. It helps us calm down when necessary and promotes feelings of deep relaxation. If we become stressed, a phenomenon called “alpha blocking” may occur which involves excessive beta activity and very little alpha. Essentially the beta waves “block” out the production of alpha because we become too aroused.

• Frequency range: 8 Hz to 12 Hz (Moderate)
  • Too much: Daydreaming, inability to focus, too relaxed
  • Too little: Anxiety, high stress, insomnia, OCD
  • Optimal: Relaxation
  • Increase alpha waves: Alcohol, marijuana, relaxants, some antidepressants
Theta Waves
This particular frequency range is involved in daydreaming and sleep. Theta waves are connected to us experiencing and feeling deep and raw emotions. Too much theta activity may make people prone to bouts of depression and may make them “highly suggestible” based on the fact that they are in a deeply relaxed, semi-hypnotic state. Theta has its benefits of helping improve our intuition, creativity, and makes us feel more natural. It is also involved in restorative sleep. As long as theta isn’t produced in excess during our waking hours, it is a very helpful brain wave range.

• Frequency range: 4 Hz to 8 Hz (Slow)
  • Too much: ADHD, depression, hyperactivity, impulsivity, inattentiveness
  • Too little: Anxiety, poor emotional awareness, stress
  • Optimal: Creativity, emotional connection, intuition, relaxation
  • Increase theta waves: Depressants
Delta Waves
These are the slowest recorded brain waves in human beings. They are found most often in infants as well as young children. As we age, we tend to produce less delta even during deep sleep. They are associated with the deepest levels of relaxation and restorative, healing sleep. They have also been found to be involved in unconscious bodily functions such as regulating heart beat and digestion. Adequate production of delta waves helps us feel completely rejuvenated after we wake up from a good night’s sleep. If there is abnormal delta activity, an individual may experience learning disabilities or have difficulties maintaining conscious awareness (such as in cases of brain injuries).

• Frequency range: 0 Hz to 4 Hz (Slowest)
  • Too much: Brain injuries, learning problems, inability to think, severe ADHD
  • Too little: Inability to rejuvenate body, inability to revitalize the brain, poor sleep
  • Optimal: Immune system, natural healing, restorative / deep sleep
  • Increase delta waves: Depressants, sleep
Share3K
Reddit
Stumble70
Email
Shares 3K
Related Posts:
{ 47 comments… add one }
  • ********* July 17, 2014, 5:00 pm
    Hi,
    I would like to know what is the long term effect of using cannabis on Alpha waves?

thanks!

Golan

Reply Link
    • ****** October 14, 2014, 6:23 pm
      ******* you may be interested in this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2234454/

It basically says that alpha and beta wave activity is decreased in marijuana users, in the first month (and perhaps after, the study doesn’t go that far) after they stop smoking. You may also know that chronic users experience sleep disturbances and sometimes vivid dreaming when they stop using.

Reply Link
      • ******* January 3, 2016, 7:44 am
        It basically says that alpha and beta wave activity is decreased in marijuana users, in the first month (and perhaps after, the study doesn’t go that far) after they stop smoking. You may also know that chronic users experience sleep disturbances and sometimes vivid dreaming when they stop using.
      • Makes sense. Marijuana inhibits REM, so they are likely to have the rem rebound effect.
https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/15/5-types-of-brain-waves-frequencies-gamma-beta-alpha-theta-delta/

Last edited:

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
According to this I could well be a theta surfer. Like I said I don't meditate in the conventional way. I always thought I don't meditate at all. How ever on a closer look maybe I do. What I call daydreaming is my way of using a visualization technique to escape, problem solve, to "see" someone elses pov, etc. At work I build aircraft for a living. I get some very difficult assemblies to put together. When I'm stumped I'll picture the whole assembly in my mind , how all the pieces go together. Move them around till I get a solution then go about my work. The same goes for many situations. I can "see" (using my pineal?)how I want to do something. Do a dry run in my head using intuition and background knowledge to try to get it right. I falter when I become impulsive and rush thru something. The same goes when I picture myself around woods and water. I can watch birds and animals scurry about. That is my form of meditation. As an offshoot or extension maybe I can astral travel too. Tho I have no recollection Linda and others see me at the healing gathering. Next I need to experience first hand being and interacting with those present. That too will come as I've convinced my self that nothing is now beyond my grasp. I just need to learn the "rules of the road" which I prob intuitively know. "Learning is remembering". Interesting you touched on marijuana use. I've been a toker for a very long time. It's was mostly used to relax and slow a very busy mind that often would not stop! I've since learned recently to calm it without resorting to a smoke. However I still enjoy it and use it when I'm alone and not interacting with the outside world, except sometimes on line.lol. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
As a side bar that's one great thing about this group. Everybody seems to "know" everybody here. I/we can keep no secrets. We can see each other for what we really are to a large extent. I can exagerate a truth but not out and out lie. Many of you will see thru it. Personally I think it great.

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
According to this I could well be a theta surfer. Like I said I don't meditate in the conventional way. I always thought I don't meditate at all. How ever on a closer look maybe I do.
I've come to subscribe, increasingly, to the pov that we all meditate, hypnotize ourselves and do all kinds of other things... often without realizing it. I have myself, wondered at how people do some of these 'crazy wonderful' things and then realized, like you are writing, that, "Whoa! Cool! I do do that too:eek::D:cool:" and imagine that this phenomenon is more common than we usually consider. In fact, how can it not be when we have no context (at least in my society) in which to teach, support or even acknowledge most of this stuff. In fact, we don't even have words (perhaps some words more recently, the woo woo ones) for much of it, let alone concepts, so how could we share them?

Love your description of 'seeing' a project in your mind.
Great things can be done there and it is a very useful concept for sharing these ideas, I find, because that 'inner sight' is what we all use when we imagine things... a shared place to start a conversation:)
And, of course, having a well developed ability to do this is how we can begin to share ideas about anything, including comparing how 'my' pov compares to 'yours' (I use 'parantheses' because it seems that 'mine and 'yours' come together laughably often, once we really get down to the nitty gritty). Thus, we could make the argument that this 'inner vision' is critical for us to get along...<3
Oh, the power and beauty of the imagination!

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I get some very difficult assemblies to put together. When I'm stumped I'll picture the whole assembly in my mind , how all the pieces go together. Move them around till I get a solution then go about my work. The same goes for many situations. I can "see" (using my pineal?)how I want to do something.
That's really awesome, PG!!! Nichola Tesla was said to be able to visualize his inventions--actually seeing in his mind how all the pieces looked, fit together, and worked. I'm pretty sure that Leonardo DaVinci was able to do the same. Einstein is also famous for his use of meditative "mind experiments". Looks to me like you're "tuned in" to some pretty powerful abilities--in fact, one might even call them a form of genius! :)

I've come to recognize "meditation" as encompassing a GREAT MANY things. I've come to understand that we are in some form of meditation anytime we become lost in a blissful moment and time ceases to have any meaning. For me, states of meditation include moments when I am immersed in a deep appreciation of nature, enjoying the sights and sounds of music while driving, and during times when I feel a deep connection to "Higher Self"/"Realms". We can meditate when we are in prayer, relaxation, anticipation, joy, and even when we are under great stress.

A week or so ago, for example, I was feeling really strange and wound up going to the Emergency Room due to an extremely high blood pressure reading. I'd had a pretty bad bout of flu the week before and even though I had almost recovered, despite any attempts to try and feel "grounded" or "connect to Universe", I felt strangely "not completely present" in my body and nothing seemed to help. I was picking up my prescription at the pharmacy and happened to ask them to check my blood pressure. When they saw how high it was (190 over 109--and the synchronicity of the numbers didn't occur to me until just now), they suggested I get checked at the Emergency Room. Once I got there, after the nurses hooked me up to all kinds of stuff and tested everything, they left me hooked up to an EKG in a quiet room. While I was stretched out on the gurney, I intentionally entered a deep state of meditation for nearly an hour. I imagined myself as a brilliant light, giving and receiving love to All That Is--and especially everyone in and around the hospital.

The doctor seemed rather amazed when he came back in after an hour or so and found that my blood pressure and other vital signs had dropped significantly. Prior to that, he had felt certain that they would need to give me something (i.e., drugs) to "medically intervene". It turns out that my meditative state actually allowed me to self-correct whatever was going on. Shortly after, I went home with everything (tests and all) looking normal!

I've only been consciously "meditating" for a few years--and actually never really considered myself much of a meditator because I never seem to have the really cool and unusual experiences so many others have. But the more I learn about meditation, the more I think we ALL do it--and many of us without even really realizing it!

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
That's really awesome, PG!!! Nichola Tesla was said to be able to visualize his inventions--actually seeing in his mind how all the pieces looked, fit together, and worked. I'm pretty sure that Leonardo DaVinci was able to do the same. Einstein is also famous for his use of meditative "mind experiments".
I think Pucksterguy should stop wearing socks;) (apparently that was an 'Einstein thing' and I believe every genius needs their eccentricity:))
After all, who needs something to warm your ankles when you are ice fishing?o_O:confused::D

While I was stretched out on the gurney, I intentionally entered a deep state of meditation for nearly an hour. I imagined myself as a brilliant light, giving and receiving love to All That Is--and especially everyone in and around the hospital.

The doctor seemed rather amazed when he came back in after an hour or so and found that my blood pressure and other vital signs had dropped significantly.
Seems like you should be hired at your nearest hospital as Chief Meditation Teacher or some such silly title. It'd be fun. You could be paid to bliss out. What a way to spend a second career!
Really, though, can you imagine all the nasty stuff that would disappear if we all did this all the time?!:fp If we took the data on this stuff seriouslyO.o:D
... or dare I say it... if we did all we could to put all the lifestyle things that have been shown to work into action on a daily basis:eek:
I know, craziness, isn't it?:bag:-D:cool:

Good to have you back, SG<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)