Moonlight Gardens (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I was watching our local gardening show, and the topic was plants that look wonderful in the moonlight, as well as smell great. The speaker noted that most of us are gone during the day, so why not plant things that we can enjoy at night. I never thought about it in this way and am intrigued. I do have a night blooming orchid cactus that produces big flowers with the most intoxicating scent. If it was bottled as a perfume, I would buy it!!

I live in central Texas, so heat and drought tolerant are the watch words for us. Also, we get only a few really cold days, so these suggestions might not work for everyone; however, many work well as potted plants. In general, variegated leaves and white blooms yield the best effects. At the very least, I thought it would give you all something new to think about.

Cyclamen with white blooms

Dusty Miller

Alyssum - sweet alyssum has a wonderful scent

Moonflower - relative of Morning Glory - some people plant vines together for purple flowers in the day and white flowers at night

Hymenocallis (Peruvian Daffodil) - lovely fragrance

Four o'clocks - flowers with a variety of colors that open in late afternoon

Lady of the Night - night blooming orchid that is tough and easy to grow

Culinary sage - fuzzy leaves look nice at night

Artemisia and Silver Thyme - also look nice in moonlight.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Well, my climate won't support most of the wonderful suggestions, but I love the night planning.
I also love the idea of a white garden.
A friend of mine used to do this....so stunning in design.
Thank you!

I have a huge amount of wisteria (which can grow like crazy), and I can tell you that has more fragrance in the evening.
I have the purple variety, but I bet the white variety would be great for the evening.

I am a bit surprised at Dusty Miller, as I don't remember them flowering or having any fragrance, though they do show up more in the evening.

Oh, I do wish we could grow orchids.
We have them indoors only.
My husband just bought some cyclamen for us, but they are red....so far no fragrance.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I don't think all of them have a scent, just the ones I noted.
You might have success with that orchid because the speaker kept it outside, which means it has to be tough.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Thank you for the correction, as my imagination had drifted to an old desire of a garden filled with different fragrances. We bought our home when the wisteria was in ultra-fragrant bloom, and it was more than a little persuader: an intoxicating message from the universe.

Not sure Massachusetts climate can support an outdoor orchid even in summer, but I will look into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)