Mindful Badge - new training for police (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
[(Laron) Thread promoted to the front page. Please continue comments here: https://www.transients.info/2017/07/mindful-badge-meditation-training-police/]

I grew up in Dallas, Texas, which is a city of over a million people and spans across 5 counties. What I'm trying to say here is that there are a lot of people from all walks of life and many different cultures. You can imagine the challenges any type of public service entails.

Last year five Dallas police officers were killed during a demonstration, and the department looked into different ways to help everyone deal with the stress and grief. An anonymous benefactor donated funds for 500 officers to attend Mindful Badge training.

The concept of mindfulness is popping up in many contexts recently. I've seen it promoted for business people as a way to work "in the zone", for others as a way to be more creative, and now for police as a way to be more calm and alert. In other words, the concepts of meditation have been repackaged for the western world. As a teacher, I know you have to start from the place your students inhabit. So, this makes sense to me.

Mindfulness changes the conversation and the experience around occupational stress and trauma. In short, this is Trauma Informed Resiliency. Training mindfulness is a preventative measure that equips police officers to perform through occupational trauma with greater capacity for awareness (self and situational), cognitive performance, and humanity (compassion, empathy, non-judgement). These ingredients are critical as we make our way forward in policing in the 21st Century.

The founder, Richard Goerling, has an impressive background in armed forces and civilian policing. As he discovered the benefits of meditation, he decided to bring them to first responders. His purpose is to bring an evolution in purpose and action to this part of our society. This is the first time I've seen this approach. When you think about the training and daily life of the military and civilian first responders, it is all about recognizing and neutralizing danger, which means that is what you look for, and what you will see.

Mr. Goerling goes on to say - We believe strongly that a warrior ethos grounded in awareness and compassion is necessary for an officer to navigate the arch of their career with positive outcomes.

Kudos to you and all the officers who are working for this outcome.

http://www.mindfulbadge.com/training/

Last edited by a moderator:

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I'm really glad to see this kind of training being made available to our first responders! I speak from experience when I say that the things they see, hear, and experience on a day-to-day basis definitely stays with them--and if they and their families are to stay healthy long-term, they need an effective way to deal with those traumas. In a society where distrust and even hatred of those who have sworn to serve and protect the public is seemingly becoming the norm, the job becomes even more difficult.

Mindfulness, meditation, and spiritual re-discovery have been "lifesavers" for me, especially over the past few years.

Now that I'm retired (YAY! I finally "pulled that pin" a couple of weeks ago...and am LOVING it), I'm much more comfortable sharing that I'm moving on from nearly 40 years as a first responder. I started as a volunteer in Search and Rescue many, many years ago, then worked as an Emergency Medical Technician for an ambulance company, and spent the last 30 years in law enforcement. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'm so grateful to have made it through such a volatile career and still have my positivity, good general health, and a strong sense of grounding.

Training like this is such a positive step--and I'm certain it will do much to help many others make it through their careers in a healthy way as well!

Thanks for sharing this, Linda!

Reactions: Carl, Lila and June

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
I'm really glad to see this kind of training being made available to our first responders! I speak from experience when I say that the things they see, hear, and experience on a day-to-day basis definitely stays with them--and if they and their families are to stay healthy long-term, they need an effective way to deal with those traumas. In a society where distrust and even hatred of those who have sworn to serve and protect the public is seemingly becoming the norm, the job becomes even more difficult.

Mindfulness, meditation, and spiritual re-discovery have been "lifesavers" for me, especially over the past few years.

Now that I'm retired (YAY! I finally "pulled that pin" a couple of weeks ago...and am LOVING it), I'm much more comfortable sharing that I'm moving on from nearly 40 years as a first responder. I started as a volunteer in Search and Rescue many, many years ago, then worked as an Emergency Medical Technician for an ambulance company, and spent the last 30 years in law enforcement. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'm so grateful to have made it through such a volatile career and still have my positivity, good general health, and a strong sense of grounding.

Training like this is such a positive step--and I'm certain it will do much to help many others make it through their careers in a healthy way as well!

Thanks for sharing this, Linda!
Sending you hugs SG, I'm sure you were a loving and positive influence on all those you helped and I wish you much joy in whatever you decide to do next.<3

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
the concepts of meditation have been repackaged for the western world.
It is so easy to zone out with irrelevant thoughts no matter what we are doing - to stay awake and aware is the result of conscious observance of your mind. So much of the eastern martial arts incorporates this in daily practice. Not only a trait for a warrior, but a good one for a warrior.

SG, with one eye firmly planted in the cosmic skies, and the other fixed on your internal view screen, you will be one to watch out for.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
[QUOTE="Stargazer, post: 20000, member: 35]

Now that I'm retired (YAY! I finally "pulled that pin" a couple of weeks ago...and am LOVING it)

Thanks for sharing this, Linda![/QUOTE]
Congratulations, Stargazer !

Reactions: Stargazer and June
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)