Meeting with the pack leader (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When our neighborhood began development about 50 years ago, it was outside the city limits. Some of the land was too rough to develop and was left in its natural state. A few years later, adjacent land was turned into a preserve. With the network of wooded areas and creeks, some of our neighborhood is connected to the larger preserve - at least for the wildlife.

We share our space with plenty of animal, bird, and insect life and have a fairly good coexistence. With the little wooded area behind us, we are more in tune with what is going on than people a few streets away. We have a small deer herd and a coyote pack.

A few years ago, I heard a kill not far from our fence. I got so angry that I surprised myself. The next day, as I was meditating, the coyote pack leader walked into the house and all the way to the back where I was - in the astral, not physical. We had a discussion about staying out of our little woods and leaving the twin fawns alone. He was not too thrilled, but agreed. Things were quiet for about a year. I could hear the coyote in the distance, but not behind our house.

Time passed, a new pack formed, and they've been active. I know in the big picture that they help maintain a balance, but it is hard for me to listen to a kill. A couple of months ago, the neighbor two houses down told me about an awful event. He went outside that morning and found a half eaten doe in his front yard. None of us heard anything, so we concluded it was one coyote, otherwise there would have been a lot of noise. I was horrified for them and at the possibility of parents with their little children walking by. This action was way out of balance.

I asked for a meeting with the pack leader and Gaia. I was not so imperious this time. Instead, I said I honored and respected the work of the coyote, but this last incident was outside the balance of our lives together. Rather than impose my human ideas, I asked that the pack leader and Gaia work out something that is in all our best interests. They walked away together. Since that time, I've heard them twice nearby. The first time I was angry and the second, I understood that they were acting to maintain a healthy balance.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I actually love seeing and hearing the coyotes in our neighborhood, along with other predators like raptors and bobcats. I feel some sadness for their prey, of course, but the predators are just as beautiful in their own way.

There's a full documentary about this experiment out there somewhere, but this brief video captures the spirit of the idea pretty well. It's essentially about how predators (like the wolves in this story) contribute to the balance of nature. I knew that their presence was quite valuable, but I had no idea just how much until I considered this situation.

Check it out:

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I do understand the idea of balance, which is why my stance changed with this last meeting.

However, hearing a kill taking place a little ways from your fence is another story. Not long after we moved here, I heard a pack chasing something. It was a dog that got loose, and all I could do was stand there. Being that close changes you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)