Massage and acupressure for dogs (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I know acupuncture and acupressure work for me, and I've read a lot about the benefits for our animal friends.
I found a website with good info about massage and acupressure for dogs. It was mentioned in an article on the Natural News site, as well.

Lymph drainage also is a wonderful aid to good health and well-being. A simple thing you can do for yourself and pet is get a soft brush (bath brush or baby brush) and brush downward from the jaw to the upper chest. Do the same motion on the back of the neck. My dogs have loved this - I can tell by the blissed out look on their faces. Try it on yourself and you will understand.

http://www.luckydoghealth.com/dogmessage.htm

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
When I'm sitting on the couch and my old fox terrier is sitting next to me I always massage his back absentmindedly and he loves it. He usually sits up so I can get more of his back. LOL!

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When I'm sitting on the couch and my old fox terrier is sitting next to me I always massage his back absentmindedly and he loves it. He usually sits up so I can get more of his back. LOL!
Try brushing his neck, as I described above. He will love it.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
We do something similar in our household with the humans who have long hair. We call it 'Mom, can you brush my hair?'... in that particular way, of course, with those long, slow brush strokes that get at all the particular spots, lol:-D
The blissed out looks on the humans are similar to those of animals being petted. It's just that the animals are smart enough to just present themselves in whatever position they need to get 'that itch' scratched without any embarassment at all. My favourite is probably the 'right here, scratch my butt' position (usually with the animal's butt in the human's face). Make me laugh every time:ROFL:
One of my goals for the (human) kids is to maintain their comfort level with being comfortingly touched by folks they love all the way through to (and including) adulthood. It is such a simple act of comfort and love that can be so challenged by some social situations<3

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
We do something similar in our household with the humans who have long hair. We call it 'Mom, can you brush my hair?'... in that particular way, of course, with those long, slow brush strokes that get at all the particular spots, lol:-D
The blissed out looks on the humans are similar to those of animals being petted. It's just that the animals are smart enough to just present themselves in whatever position they need to get 'that itch' scratched without any embarassment at all. My favourite is probably the 'right here, scratch my butt' position (usually with the animal's butt in the human's face). Make me laugh every time:ROFL:
One of my goals for the (human) kids is to maintain their comfort level with being comfortingly touched by folks they love all the way through to (and including) adulthood. It is such a simple act of comfort and love that can be so challenged by some social situations<3
What a sweet and kind thing to do for your kids. That loving touch is so important.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Absolutely!! When I come up behind my son or wife (usually in the kitchen, it seems), I'll either rub their shoulders a little, scratch their backs briefly, or give them a loving pat on the back in passing. They'll often do the same for me (sometimes even at family gatherings or in public).

While some loving exchanges can be seen as "weird" or "awkward" in public, I think these are quite comforting and can even elicit an "awwwww...isn't that wonderful?" response from others!

:) <3 <3 <3

Reactions: Linda and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
While some loving exchanges can be seen as "weird" or "awkward" in public, I think these are quite comforting and can even elicit an "awwwww...isn't that wonderful?" response from others!
:) <3 <3 <3
Yes, I suppose that going for "weird" or "awkward" toward "awwww...isn't that wonderful?" both within the family and from others is another goal I have. Interesting what you realize when you think about it that way...:-D

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
So, I tried that kind of neck brushing you described and my Henry melted into a pool of pure love. LOL! He was in doggone heaven.
Try it on yourself - I use a bath brush - you will be in the "pool" with Henry.
Lymph drainage is important from a health perspective, and you will look as though you had a little face lift, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)