Looking for Starman - Tesla Roadster in Space (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Did you all see the report about Elon Musk launching a Tesla Roadster into space? It has a "driver" complete with a spacesuit. The original trajectory was for a Mars orbit, but the third stage booster misfired and it is going elsewhere.

Cameras have been sending some magnificent pictures. On the dashboard you can see a sign that says "Don't Panic - a nod to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

But the real iconic image from the launch, the one most likely to stand the test of time, is of the cherry-red Tesla Roadster that Musk embedded in the capsule of the payload rocket. A gleaming convertible floating through (actual, real) space, its wheels not spinning at all, an astronaut-suited mannequin posed, unperturbed, with its arm hanging out the side. The Earth eventually looms in the background, incomprehensibly large, seen through the windshield.

One of the interesting conversations about this project is whether or not it is art. It certainly is visually catching, is not there for a specific purpose, and gets people talking. So, maybe it is. I had not thought about it in that way, but I like the idea. I like to think of "others" having a WTH moment as the roadster goes by their space ship.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/10/16997124/elon-musk-spacex-tesla-art-starman-advertising

Reactions: Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I wonder how they got the lighting in place (and surviving the launch) to take the photos in spaceO_o
Then I wonder how pockmarked it is getting from micrometerorites:eek:

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It was inside a capsule during the launch. Supposedly it has been tracked by another group and NASA has given it a name, as an object in space.

Reactions: Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)