Is Whole Foods having financial woes (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This article in Natural News reports on the decline in revenues for Whole Foods, as well as the rise for stores like Costco.

After six consecutive quarters of same-store declines, Whole Foods was forced to close the doors of nine different stores.

Costco’s organic sales are growing so rapidly, that in 2016 the retailer announced that they would be pursuing an initiative to help their farmers purchase more land, so they can grow more organic food. CEO Craig Jelinek reportedly told investors, “We cannot get enough organics to stay in business day in and day out.”

I am an original shopper of Whole Foods, although I've not been there in some time. First, they got too darn expensive, and then there was some disturbing news about their activities on the GMO issue. That one broke my heart because it was so far from the purpose of the original store. One of the benefits of being around awhile is that you possess the long view. So, what happened here?

In the olden days, we had a few food co-ops in town, and that was where people who were interested in non-processed foods went. Then we got a little older and wanted to feed our growing families the same healthful foods. Enter Whole Foods. It was like a slice of heaven with incredible selections of produce and products. There were helpful people who could assist you in finding what you needed. However, you still needed to go to a regular store for the basics like laundry soap and toilet paper.

The people who run HEB, the most successful grocery chain in central Texas, took note and countered with Central Market, which combined the best of both worlds. I started shopping more there because it was easier. This chain watched what sold well and introduced the products into their regular stores, and the rest is history. Soon there were specialty stores like Natural Grocers and Sprouts, as well organic sections in all the major grocery stores. Organic became mainstream, and the grocers figured out how to do it at reasonable prices.

At the same time, prices at Whole Foods started rising, and they took on more of an elitist image, with prime spots in high-end shopping centers. Economically, many people were living with paychecks that did not go as far. (I could not justify spending my money there.) I don't think the leadership at Whole Foods saw the big picture because not only were they facing competition, but they were pricing themselves out of their established market base and totally missing other shoppers.

Now Costco and HEB are partnering with organic farmers, in order to get enough product for their demand. It is quite a change, which is being driven by the wants of customers. It is a quiet revolution with far-reaching effects.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-03-11-are-we-witnessing-the-fall-of-whole-foods.html

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
I used to shop there when living in California (even took my parents to the one in Dallas when visiting) and did it until we left the state, even though their prices kept going up. Their niche is basically gone with all the competition and their prices are too high sometimes to expand further their customer base. I shop at Sprouts now, not as good, but their prices are a bit more reasonable. These stores will probably have to do a good restructuring as the natural food sections at other chains are growing slowly but steadily (Kroger's for example, plus the ones mentioned in the article).

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Thank you for the history lesson. Interesting how WF became corrupted over time. I have always avoided them due to the outrageous prices and refer to them as "Whole Paycheck".

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
If you are in the US and west of the Mississippi, look for a Natural Grocers. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)