Hurricane Harvey (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When I hear the name Harvey, I think about the invisible giant rabbit (old movie). However, today it is a hurricane that will make landfall on the mid-Texas coast Friday night. It won't be invisible or kindly.

I think the last big one we had was in 2005, so we are overdue. I'm guessing that quite a few of you all don't know much about them. Tropical storms build up mass and speed over warm water, which is plentiful in the Gulf of Mexico, until they reach certain speeds which are categorized as 1 - 5. Harvey is projected to be a Cat 3 by the time it hits (111-130 MPH).

They create storm surges, which means the ocean has enough power to come inland. With this one, a 12-foot surge is projected, which is why people (pets and livestock) along the coast are evacuating. Some towns are under mandatory evacuation.

When the bulk of the storm hits land, it starts to dissipate, but if you look at a weather map, you can see how wide the storm is and how far inland it will reach. This evening it changed course and is not projected to make a direct hit on Houston, but now it is pointed towards San Antonio and Austin. We've been warned about 60-80 MPH winds and as much as 2 feet of rain.

Blessings for all of us in the path will be most appreciated. I ask that people, animals, and wildlife act prudently and find a safe place to ride out the storm. I ask that first responders safely ride out the storm and have little to do.

From a larger perspective, I see it as a massive churning that is clearing and cleaning up the old. (The oil and gas industries are big business in the gulf and along the coast.) I also feel an electrifying of the atmosphere that will help with changes.

My husband grew up on the coast, so he is storm savvy. I feel amazingly calm. I know something big is going to happen (my spidey senses are going off), but I am calm.

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
Linda I'm feeling pretty calm about the storm too. Aware it's coming but it's not working me up like past storms have. Here just north of Houston I expect we'll get a good amount of rain, maybe lose power for a bit but maybe not. And feel like it is a cleansing that is needed. Should be an interesting weekend.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I was watching weather news and noticed an unusual pattern. There is a stationary front just south of us that will hold Harvey in place along the coast. Those of us north of the front will still get lots of weather, but less than expected. Those south of the front will have a tropical storm sitting on top of them for a few days. It seems like extra rinse cycles for south Texas and the coastal area.

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
It seems like extra rinse cycles for south Texas and the coastal area.
The Weather Channel and Fox are giving serious forecasts -maybe is just usual fear mongering (specially Fox), but maybe is not. Deserves watching though. Lost an aunt during Katrina when she decided to stay in New Orleans declining joining her brother and a cousin when they left to take refuge at my dad's house here in Texas. So, if the authorities say "you better leave" it is better not to take it lightly.

Last edited:
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Now a category 4 hurricane, but the eye landfall has shifted a little east of Corpus Christie into a less populous area.

I'm a fan of "most beneficial outcome" and "beneficial prayer" from Tom Moore. I like the idea because it recognizes that life paths and greater needs than what we can see have a place. Some may want to just make the hurricane go away, but I believe that earth changes are needed. So we can ask for the most beneficial outcome for the safety and security of all people, pets, and wildlife in the path of the storm, or something along those lines.

It looks like a little less for us in Austin and a bit more for those in Houston. The projections keep changing, so who knows.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
(my spidey senses are going off)
Spidey senses = intuition (yay!)

I feel the brunt of this storm will be intense, but it will be selective. Take care, everyone in the path, lock down and be patient!

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
(I'm in Houston near the hurricane) So last night had a bit of rain and over the last few hours theres been a couple of thunderstorms.

I found a couple of helpful sites last night to keep an eye on it. Let's see.... where is it....

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quicklook/view.html?name=HARVEY — has a real time type of update on the right side you can scroll down to see the important news and on the left is a helpful map. There's lots of graphs full of data below such as wind speeds.

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-harvey — This google based map shows the actual regions which are being impacted. I've done a screen shot below but on the site you can zoom in and out.

harvey.jpg

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Mainstream news is billing this as the biggest storm in a decade, which is a little misleading. In terms of strength, that is true, but in terms of size, it is not. On the other hand, this one is moving slowly and meandering through the coastal area, which is atypical.

When the eye came across land last night, it was a narrow band around Rockport and Port Lavaca. This part of the coast is less populated and the towns that are there were under mandatory evacuation. It went east of Corpus Christie, which is a good-sized town.

As HM noted earlier, the most damaging aspects of the storm have been selective.

Winds still are strong along the coast and lots of power lines are down, with large areas without power. For me, we've had a couple of inches of rain and strong winds with gusts of about 35 MPH.

I ask that people continue to be alert and act prudently.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Here is a little tidbit to give you all some additional insight.

Texas Parks and Wildlife is alerting people that alligators are seeking refuge from the rising waters, too. They are moving inland and like to get under cars and porches. The advice is to let them be if possible, and they will return to their normal habitat once the waters go down.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Central and south-central Texas is known as flash flood alley because there are so many creeks and rivers that will come out of their banks in floods. People don't think about alligators in Texas, but they are not uncommon along the coast. The other things that can happen with rising waters are influxes of snakes and ants. Snakes are good swimmers. When ant hills flood, the ants join their little legs together and create a living raft so they can stay alive. It is a surprising site. The problem comes when they float into something and take hold - like your leg, for example. The fire ants are especially good at this. While there are several large cities, this place still is pretty wild.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Sunday morning update from your woman on the street -

For perspective, we live about 150 miles from the coast and Houston. Here we've had constant rain and strong winds, with big gusts probably in the 40-50 MPH range. The rain gauge topped out at 5 inches last night, but neither one of us was willing to out and empty it. My husband emptied it this morning. He took advantage of a lull to go out for our Sunday morning kolaches and reported low water crossings were closed, some tree branches down, and power outages affecting street lights and some businesses. These weather conditions are projected through Thursday.

In Houston things are pretty bad. Houston is flat and at sea level. There are rivers, creeks, and bayous throughout the area and many have reached flood levels. The mayor and fire chief are urging everyone to stay off the streets because of flooding. Last night 250 rescues were made for people in cars. So far, there have been 2,500 rescues from flooded homes, with 1,000 more in the cue. In addition to the first responders, neighbors are taking care of neighbors. You can see the footage of elderly people on floats being pulled to safety by civilians and others walking to drier land.

Normally tropical storms and hurricanes blow through, leaving a wake of destruction, but the emphasis is "blow through". This is not the case with this storm - it is sitting and churning. Each time the arm goes over the gulf, it picks up more moisture. One report said Houston will get a year's worth of rain in a week.

The rest of the country will feel the effects of the storm as petroleum plants and oil rigs are shut down, and gasoline production takes a dip, which means pump prices will rise.

Here is a snapshot of wind conditions from the wind map site http://hint.fm/wind/ It explains it all in just one picture.

wind map.jpg

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
We live in North Houston and are one of the "lucky" ones. Still have electricity and the water hasn't entered our home. It gets as high as the mid driveway and then recedes during a lull. Praying it stays this mild for us.
Friends who evacuated to Katy are worse off as the bayou has overflown and is creeping into houses.
I keep sending protection and prayers.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Here's some big statements about this historic storm from weather.com: (thanks to Michael Knight)

- “We’re going to be there for years."
FEMA director Brock Long to CNN

"This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced." - the National Weather Service in a tweet

- "Scale of damage not yet specifically quantifiable in Houston. Likelihood? We are facing a catastrophic multi-billion-dollar loss."
Steve Bowen, meteorologist at Aon Benfield insurance analytics, in a tweet

- "There is a national disaster unfolding in Texas right now. The scale and scope is unimaginable."
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research meteorologist Michael Lowry in a tweet.

- "It's catastrophic, unprecedented, epic – whatever adjective you want to use. It's pretty horrible right now." - National Weather Service meteorologist Patrick Blood to the Houston Chronicle about flooding in the city

- "I know for a fact this is the worst flood Houston has ever experienced. Worse than (Tropical Storm) Allison. It's so widespread." - National Weather Service meteorologist Patrick Blood to the Houston Chronicle about flooding in the city.

- "I've never seen anything like it and I'll never see anything like it for the rest of my life." - Rockport resident Robert Zbranek to The Associated Press

- "We’re suggesting if people are going to stay here, mark their arm with a Sharpie pen with their name and Social Security number. We hate to talk about things like that. It's not something we like to do but it’s the reality, people don’t listen." - Rockport Mayor Pro Tem Patrick Rios at a press conference

- "Trying not to be dramatic, but I fear epic flood catastrophe." - University of Georgia Atmospheric Science Program Director in a tweet

- "That's the strongest looking hurricane on satellite I have ever seen." - NBC Charlotte Chief Meteorologist Brad Panovich in a tweet

The daily mail has an article with some large photos portraying what's going on with the flooding: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4828968/Thousands-trapped-rooftops-flooded-Houston.html

Last edited:

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
The local news in the Dallas area indicate that some people took shelter at several locations already and one or two more shelters will open soon. Unfortunately my cousin decided to stay in Houston with her pets but as of today she is still OK. I had offered her my deceased parents house for her too stay (the house is sitting empty right now) but she can't leave now due to the road conditions. The pictures and video shown in the media are heart breaking. Terrible disaster.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It is cool enough that I've got the windows open. There was some kind of bird ruckus nearby. I could not see them, but they sure did sound like seagulls.

It is not uncommon for shore birds to either come or get blown inland, and we've had gulls here before. Several years ago, a blue-footed booby sea bird showed up in Austin after some storms. It is common in the eastern Pacific and every now and then comes west. The bird hung out in a lady's pool and liked to perch on the diving board. Local birders showed up daily so they could see it and add it to their lists.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
As this storm is being compared to Katrina I cannot help but make some comparisons.

The first is that only five people are currently being reported dead, though that toll will likely rise once clean up starts. The estimate was close to 2000 deaths after Katrina.
Another real eyeopener is that authorities are calling for locals with boats to help with rescue efforts. One group from (ironically) Lousiana is calling themselves the Cajun Navy. This seems a start contrast to conditions described in the book 'Zeitoun' written after Katrina. In the book the description of not only lack of coordination but outright conflict between authorities and folks needing rescue but also between authorities and rescuers is stunning. This included armed compounds in which the author, Abdulrahman Zeitoun, was imprisoned after encountering authorities while rescuing neighbours.
Particularly poignant for myself is to compare what I heard from an eyewitness who traveled to Katrina to help with rescue efforts: a description of nursing home residents who'd drowned without being rescued, some still tied to their beds in an attempt to manage their behavioural issues. This time, instead, I see that a picture of a nursing home full of residents goes viral and results in rescue of the residents.
Another is that Houston's mayor did not order an evacuation, citing even worse social issues arising from clogged roadways and mass evacuation from Houston hindering efforts from towns in more acute danger. In New Orleans during Katrina, the mayor ordered an evacuation. Governor Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency in Florida while his brother, President GW Bush, did the same for Lousiana, Mississipi and Alabama.

Anybody have any ideas on what is so different this time?
Clearly social media played a role. Rescue requests were posted and acted upon. Successful rescues were then posted, with pictures.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
After Katrina every state and local official was busy making new, coordinated plans. Watching updates from our governor and the Houston mayor shows well-considered and informed choices. The other thing I noticed was that no one was jockeying for position - the people who were in charge of specific areas were the ones speaking. The other thing I noticed was that officials were explaining the whys behind their actions, such as why you should stay on the line with 911 and not hang up or why they were having to release water into Buffalo Bayou. When people are involved in the process they have more confidence.

An evacuation of Harris County, which includes Houston would have created more problems because of the sheer number of residents who really did not have anywhere to go. San Antonio and Austin already were receiving evacuees from Corpus Christi. The roads already were clogged and gas and food along the way were iffy. My husband grew up on the coast and knows first hand how it works. If you do not leave early on, you might as well stay and do the best you can because you will get caught out on the roads.

Finally, we have the cultural differences. As one who has lived most of her life in Texas, I understand the people. Although there are some people in the cities who do not have great life skills, once you are in the smaller towns, you have people who know about farming and ranching. They have been through all kinds of weather, just know how to do things, and always show up to help each other. We've never forgotten that we once were a republic. I don't know how else to explain it - it is just the way we are.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Anybody have any ideas on what is so different this time?
Clearly social media played a role. Rescue requests were posted and acted upon. Successful rescues were then posted, with pictures.
I agree with Linda as per the cultural differences. I wanna throw another hat in the ring. Maybe it's the new energies afoot leading towards "ascension" I'm thinking folks now are more compassionate and caring for their fellow man. According to some energy readings things really are underway towards that change. and the efforts in Texas are illustrating this. Just my 2 cents worth...

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
After Katrina every state and local official was busy making new, coordinated plans. Watching updates from our governor and the Houston mayor shows well-considered and informed choices. The other thing I noticed was that no one was jockeying for position - the people who were in charge of specific areas were the ones speaking. The other thing I noticed was that officials were explaining the whys behind their actions, such as why you should stay on the line with 911 and not hang up or why they were having to release water into Buffalo Bayou. When people are involved in the process they have more confidence.
I agree with Linda as per the cultural differences. I wanna throw another hat in the ring. Maybe it's the new energies afoot leading towards "ascension" I'm thinking folks now are more compassionate and caring for their fellow man. According to some energy readings things really are underway towards that change. and the efforts in Texas are illustrating this. Just my 2 cents worth...
...so I am not the only one wondering about this connection. Hmmm.
That is, that officials are doing a better job and handing off to 'common' folk, who are more adept than sometimes given credit for... and that the o9ccurrence of this may be linked to the bigger picture.
My impression of Katrina's handling was that it was not just passively, but actively mis-handled officially, i.e., that some things done authoritatively would have been better left alone. This event seems, from what I am hearing from you locals, to be actively well handled?

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'm on the periphery, but from here it looks like reasonable and responsible decisions are being made. For example, in Aransas Pass, only people with a local address on their driver's license and over the age of 18 are being allowed in. It is tough enough to return to what is left of your home without lookie-loos wandering around (and looters, too). We've heard no complaints from our family about how things are being handled - mainly they are just glad they and their homes are in one piece and still have utilities.

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
According to some energy readings things really are underway towards that change. and the efforts in Texas are illustrating this.
Nailed it Pucksterguy. I believe this is actually the biggest difference. We are showing ourselves that there are different ways to deal with challenges than what has been the norm in the past. This storm is much more significant for us collectively than just the local impacts we are feeling here where it is happening.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Just listened to the Houston mayor who said they are opening more large emergency centers. He noted that they also were sheltering people from outside the city, and no one was being turned away. When you look at Houston and the surrounding areas, we are talking about a population of millions of people. He said that Houston will act as a hub, providing emergency services for anyone who needs it. Additionally, he reiterated that this was time for neighbors to help neighbors - to take care of those around them.

I think this is in line with what Bill and Pucksterguy are saying - we are seeing people dropping all preconceptions and just joining together. This is a feeling that always will stay with the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)