House Concerts (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
There are Meet-up groups around the world that promote this idea of local or visiting musicians playing in living rooms or backyards for small audiences.
https://www.meetup.com/topics/house-concerts/?_cookie-check=m42NwGY8nhcjz7uF

We looked into a local group and when asked why we were interested in joining, I said we loved live music but not a crowded club and going all the way downtown and finding a place to park.

When a concert is scheduled, it is announced to the group members, and they usually show up with snacks. There is an architect with a really cool house who hosts quite a few of them. With only group members, who are screened, attending, you don't have to worry about who comes to your home.

Concerts often are scheduled on weekends during the day or early evening. As I thought about it, I realized that I would happily donate $20 to the musicians, which is comparable to costs of cover-charge and a drink. However, in this case, the musician would get it all and not a cut from the club proceeds.

Have you all heard of house concerts? Has anyone attended one?

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Sounds cool. In my late teens to early twenties most of my friends were musicians. Outside of playing the clarinet in a high school concert band I din't play. We would get together in garages or rented halls. My favorite one was upstairs of an auto body shop in an industrial area where we could be as loud as we wanted. Partially deaf from those years but well worth it. I'd man the bar and roll spliffs for the guys as they jammed. What great times they were.
What you just mentioned sounds intriguing and something I can get into as I get ready to retire. My sister in law is an accomplished musician and holds such meetings in her spacious abode. She sends me E-mails all the time about upcoming "shows". Tho I'm not crazy about her choice of music. A slow lazy jazz sound. I may just attend a show or two and maybe create some contacts in the industry.
After all there's got to be more to retiring then hanging around my wilderness cottage and going fishing.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
There are Meet-up groups around the world that promote this idea of local or visiting musicians playing in living rooms or backyards for small audiences.
I love this idea.

But just imagine what else could be done in this regard (and backyard).
  • Crystal Bowl Healers
  • Stage Storytellers
  • Street Artists (those that paint/draw)
  • Magicians
I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)