Homeopathy (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
I was wondering if anyone can recommend good books on homeopathic remedies. I would like to study the subject by myself so books that are more accessible to people without any medical background would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaeika

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
I don't know any English language books so I cannot be of a lot of help here.

Still, maybe you could make clear which type you are looking for because that is an important distinction:

1. self-help, quick-finder books for laypersons to comfortably find a home remedy for you and your loved ones
2. deeper theoretical books and background on methodologies in order to really 'study' (Classical or any type of) Homeopathy to apply it (more or less professionally) - the second point would also 'include' the two types of books that are the standard tools of a homeopath, namely which Materia Medica and Repertorium you can use (although modern homeopaths like me nowadays also use software for repertorisations)

Just saying this to help the ones that can answer your question about good English books because it is really a great difference.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Any books by Miranda Castro or Dana Ullman are good for introductory level, hands-on kind of learning. I would also recommend reading case studies online (there are many available) to understand how the remedies can work for different things. Even if it isn't exactly applicable, you can learn a lot.

Any video tutorial by George Vithoulkas or anything you can find written by him will give deeper insight. He's a veritable living encyclopedia of homeopathy. This site has e-courses and tons of other resources: http://hpathy.com/online-homeopathy-course/

If you don't have a repertory handy, which is a book that has all the main remedies listed alphabetically, each broken down by symptoms of head, throat, stomach, skin, mind, etc., you can find the classic Materia Medica by Boericke online here http://homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htm. Click on different remedies to learn about them and compare symptoms. If you want to look up symptoms and see which remedies apply, you can click the "REPERTORY" link and scan through there. It's all broken down pretty systematically and is a classic way to learn. I have this site bookmarked, I use it so often ;)

I would also suggest getting a homeopathic remedy kit of basic remedies, and start using them as you learn. In general, remedies are safe and gentle when you understand how to use them, and hands-on is alway the best way to learn. You can always go to a good health-food store and get tubes of Boiron pellets (they seem to be the most widely available), but they are big and you run out fast. If you want to have something more handy (and economical), you can find little kits with small vials of tiny pellets. I have one with 50 different remedies in it, and I use it almost daily for someone in the family. Even the dog has his own little remedy kit now, with remedies just for him, and he's been doing wonderfully well with that, no vet visits in ages! Same with the cats.

My kit looks sort of like this, and it's really a handy size to grab in a hurry, or to pack for travel:

Lots of places online sell kits that have the most-used remedies for common situations. Mine is from Natural Health Supply. Other good sources are Boiron (but they might only have the bigger tubes, which gets pretty bulky), or Helios (which has an amazingly prolific list of remedies). Despite what packaging indicates, I find that you can get the job done using only one pellet at a time. No need to use 5 or 7 or whatever they say. One will do the trick, and if you need to repeat a time or two, one pellet at a time will do.

Personally, I stay away from new-agey sounding books and systems.

OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
I don't know any English language books so I cannot be of a lot of help here.

Still, maybe you could make clear which type you are looking for because that is an important distinction:

1. self-help, quick-finder books for laypersons to comfortably find a home remedy for you and your loved ones
2. deeper theoretical books and background on methodologies in order to really 'study' (Classical or any type of) Homeopathy to apply it (more or less professionally) - the second point would also 'include' the two types of books that are the standard tools of a homeopath, namely which Materia Medica and Repertorium you can use (although modern homeopaths like me nowadays also use software for repertorisations)

Just saying this to help the ones that can answer your question about good English books because it is really a great difference.
Thanks for pointing that out Sinera! I am indeed interested in the 1st type of homeopathy books you explained so well

Reactions: Sinera
OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
Any books by Miranda Castro or Dana Ullman are good for introductory level, hands-on kind of learning. I would also recommend reading case studies online (there are many available) to understand how the remedies can work for different things. Even if it isn't exactly applicable, you can learn a lot.

Any video tutorial by George Vithoulkas or anything you can find written by him will give deeper insight. He's a veritable living encyclopedia of homeopathy. This site has e-courses and tons of other resources: http://hpathy.com/online-homeopathy-course/

If you don't have a repertory handy, which is a book that has all the main remedies listed alphabetically, each broken down by symptoms of head, throat, stomach, skin, mind, etc., you can find the classic Materia Medica by Boericke online here http://homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htm. Click on different remedies to learn about them and compare symptoms. If you want to look up symptoms and see which remedies apply, you can click the "REPERTORY" link and scan through there. It's all broken down pretty systematically and is a classic way to learn. I have this site bookmarked, I use it so often ;)

I would also suggest getting a homeopathic remedy kit of basic remedies, and start using them as you learn. In general, remedies are safe and gentle when you understand how to use them, and hands-on is alway the best way to learn. You can always go to a good health-food store and get tubes of Boiron pellets (they seem to be the most widely available), but they are big and you run out fast. If you want to have something more handy (and economical), you can find little kits with small vials of tiny pellets. I have one with 50 different remedies in it, and I use it almost daily for someone in the family. Even the dog has his own little remedy kit now, with remedies just for him, and he's been doing wonderfully well with that, no vet visits in ages! Same with the cats.

My kit looks sort of like this, and it's really a handy size to grab in a hurry, or to pack for travel:

Lots of places online sell kits that have the most-used remedies for common situations. Mine is from Natural Health Supply. Other good sources are Boiron (but they might only have the bigger tubes, which gets pretty bulky), or Helios (which has an amazingly prolific list of remedies). Despite what packaging indicates, I find that you can get the job done using only one pellet at a time. No need to use 5 or 7 or whatever they say. One will do the trick, and if you need to repeat a time or two, one pellet at a time will do.

Personally, I stay away from new-agey sounding books and systems.
This is wonderful Maryann, thank you so much! I've always preferred homeopathy over modern medicine but since my son was born 5 months ago I've been more interested in learning how to apply it myself, especially for simpler things like cramps, colds etc. I would love to be able to take care of my family like you said. Am doing a first aid course in homeopathy more specifically focused on babies and children soon so I wanted to start looking into it.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a free homeopathy booklet and I received it last Friday. Little did I know it arrived just in time as my son came down with what seems to be a stomach flue last night. So I just bought him some homeopathic drops with chamomile and he is calm and asleep now. Feels like divine intervention ;) <3

Reactions: Krena and Maryann

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Oh, it's the best for babies and children! I got my son through countless tummyaches and teething pains, fevers, and chicken pox, etc. Hyland's is the easiest to administer for babies as it just dissolves in the mouth, and they have great baby remedies. I personally wouldn't be without Belladonna, Pulsatilla, Chamomilla, or Arnica as the basics for babies.

More dramatically, perhaps, with my son is the fact that the remedies have helped pull him out of a deeper part of the autistic spectrum into a relatively mild place. For that, I worked closely with a homeopathic practitioner whom I trust very much. I can't even begin to describe the kinds of things he got us through!

OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
Oh, it's the best for babies and children! I got my son through countless tummyaches and teething pains, fevers, and chicken pox, etc. Hyland's is the easiest to administer for babies as it just dissolves in the mouth, and they have great baby remedies. I personally wouldn't be without Belladonna, Pulsatilla, Chamomilla, or Arnica as the basics for babies.

More dramatically, perhaps, with my son is the fact that the remedies have helped pull him out of a deeper part of the autistic spectrum into a relatively mild place. For that, I worked closely with a homeopathic practitioner whom I trust very much. I can't even begin to describe the kinds of things he got us through!
It is only recently that I've become more aware of all the wonders of homeopathy. It is truly amazing how it can help children with autism and various other conditions that mainstream medical doctors only subscribe drugs with nasty side effects for. Am so glad for your son Maryann. I wish more parents would know about and consider natural remedies.

As our son is unvaccinated we decided to keep him under observation with a homeopathic practitioner and this is the first time I heard of homeopathy helping with the adverse side affects of vaccines, even with adults. It was a real eyeopener for me! The more I started reading about the subject, the more I started looking at diseases in a totally different way, moving from a place of fear to having more trust in my son's body's abilities (provided it is given the right support and environment). I believe besides clean water, nutritious food and hygienic living conditions, natural remedies provide the body with the right kind of support to fight off disease. I also realised I wanted to be more self reliant and be able to help my family by knowing more about homeopathy.

I feel am only at the beginning of this journey and I still have a lot to learn but there has been a massive shift in my perspective when it comes to diseases, vaccines and remedies.

Reactions: Angela and Maryann
OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Oh, I agree, I wish more parents especially knew about homeopathy. I'm grateful I learned when I did, and I sure wish my parents knew at least something about it when I was little! Regarding our family's experience, the autism wasn't an effect of vaccines, just how he is, highly sensitive. Same sort of behaviors, I suppose. But regarding vaccination ill-effects, many homeopaths recommend Thuja as a post-immunization remedy for counteracting the toxicity. Homeopathic immunizations are another option that some practitioners use. Basically, immunization is based on the same fundamental science, just that the pharmaceutical kind are filled with all kinds of adjuvants that are highly toxic. Homeopathic immunizations can stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies... in theory, I've never used them, either.

Reactions: Golmona

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
I wouldn't be without Homoeopathic remedies in my home, My little handbook is called. ' Homoeopathy for the family ' its years old, published in 1981. These remedies have helped so much over the years, I can't recommend them enough.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
This is a very helpful thread. I've wanted to at least have a cursory knowledge of homeopathic remedies. I've used them before.
At one point i got 'vaccine free prevention and treatment of infectious contagious disease with homeopathy' by kate birch. because my son is also unvaccinated. We went to a highly recommended homeopathic doctor and she actually supported vaccines and found it weird that we weren't giving them to our son. She said she could help but not do too much and it kind of confused me given the little I've read from the ebook.

So thank you. I'll hopefully get through some of this to put together a stash.

OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
Here is a book my homeopath had me read. You can read it for free online; & it's really great!

http://www.drdooley.net/Book.pdf

It is called Beyond Flat Earth Medicine by Dr. Dooley. He is an MD who also took extra training in homeopathy. This is a must read for all interested in homeopathy.
That's great Anaeika! I've added your suggestion to the list. It seems like a concise, yet informative book

OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
I wouldn't be without Homoeopathic remedies in my home, My little handbook is called. ' Homoeopathy for the family ' its years old, published in 1981. These remedies have helped so much over the years, I can't recommend them enough.
I feel the same way June about having homeopathic remedies around, especially since my son was born. I feel long term health (at all levels) is in line with nature and healing should be holistic.

Homeopathy for the Family sounds like a great book to add to the list of resources. Do you have the author's name?

OP
G

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
This is a very helpful thread. I've wanted to at least have a cursory knowledge of homeopathic remedies. I've used them before.
At one point i got 'vaccine free prevention and treatment of infectious contagious disease with homeopathy' by kate birch. because my son is also unvaccinated. We went to a highly recommended homeopathic doctor and she actually supported vaccines and found it weird that we weren't giving them to our son. She said she could help but not do too much and it kind of confused me given the little I've read from the ebook.

So thank you. I'll hopefully get through some of this to put together a stash.

Thanks for your reply Angela! Children are true blessings in many ways :) My son was the impetus for me to wanting to know more about homeopathy than that it's a natural way of treating illness ;)

That seems like a great book so I added it to the list of resources. I've just picked up The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by M. Castro and just skimming through the pages it seems like a great book to refer to. Am going to pick up a kit soon so that I can start putting the information into practice when the time is right. I just find it difficult as there are so many different options out there.

My husband and I also visited a homeopathic practitioner after we decided not to vaccinate our son. She was very supportive of our decision and we ended up having a great conversation with her for an hour and halve, which left us feeling confident in our decision. She also told us about the vaccination detoxes she does to treat adverse effects. All in all it was a very good visit and am happy we have someone who is supportive and we can go to should something happen. Perhaps it's worth finding a different homeopathic doctor who is more aligned with your decision? I know from experience this can be a huge relief.

Also, am looking forward to read more about your research on this topic! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)