Help for Shingles (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
A friend has been diagnosed with postherpetic neuralgia and is in quite a bit of pain. She eschews traditional medical treatment, but sure would like to find some kind of relief. Does anyone here know about this condition?

Postherpetic neuralgia is a complication of shingles and affects nerve fibers and skin, causing burning pain that lasts long after the rash and blisters of shingles disappear.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Oils: melaleuca, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, geranium, bergamot

Blend 1: Combine 10 drops lavender, 10 drops melaleuca, and 10 drops thyme with 1 Tbs. fractionated coconut oil or anything else that dilutes such as olive oil. Apply on feet and on location.

I personally tried this when I had shingles. It makes the blisters heal faster and the duration is shorter.

Acyclovir rx helps too.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Does anyone here know about this condition?
Much love and healing to your friend, Linda. Unfortunately, the only thing I know about shingles is that I constantly see advertisements that more or less assure us that we’ll “get it one day”.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
My sons’ pediatrician says he sees more shingles in children now that they vaccinate for chickpox, which is caused by the same virus manifesting differently. First infection is chickenpox and second is shingles. It is no longer common in just elderly and immune compromised.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
First infection is chickenpox and second is shingles.
and third is postherpetic neuralgia.

I sent the info from Anaeika to my friend, and she wrote back that her guidance was that it would be beneficial for her. She sends her heartfelt thanks.

This has got to be an awful twist on the virus, so I'm glad there may be some relief for her.

Thanks to everyone.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
What does this generation of kids have to look forward to if they’re already getting shingles earlier than what was common!
Apparently this third manifestation is very painful and lasts for a long time. This is where people who are healers will come in because western medicine is not much help.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Here’s some useful information from Dr. Axe:

Geranium essential oil has been studied and shown to actually reduce pain due to post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) following a shingles outbreak. With topical application, essential oil of geranium has been shown to relieve painful sensations within mere minutes. It even outperformed topical capsaicin, which is often recommended for shingles pain, but can take weeks to improve the pain. (7)”

CBDDDE68-4597-49AD-93CF-11C26F31CC7F.jpeg

https://draxe.com/5-shingles-natural-treatments/

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Apparently this third manifestation is very painful and lasts for a long time. This is where people who are healers will come in because western medicine is not much help.
Or it just created an “opportunity” for big pharma to make more money! :mad:

Reactions: Stargazer and Linda

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
My sons’ pediatrician says he sees more shingles in children now that they vaccinate for chickpox, which is caused by the same virus manifesting differently. First infection is chickenpox and second is shingles. It is no longer common in just elderly and immune compromised.
For me, that comes as no surprise. Unfortunately, "Big Pharma" is only out for itself. The more people they can make sick, the better for them and their systems. :(

Reactions: Anaeika

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'm unsure if you're still dealing with the virus when it progresses that far. If you let me know I can give some good immune boosting herb, things to build up a body that has had some hard times, which allow such difficult diseases to surface.

In dealing with the nerves, you can do a simple nervine like oatstraw, avena sativa (similar to oatmeal), which you could also use as a poultice. It's super nutritive too and helps strengthen nerves. You could also eat some oatmeal for a similar affect.

My initial, strong thought was passionflower, passiflora incarnata, which is a nervine and sedative. One of my books says directly that it "can be used in part of a formula to relieve the pain of shingles."
Passionflower is a particularly gross tasting herb, so i would opt for a tincture of that.

In looking up herbs in relation to postherpetic neuralgia, livestrong suggested meadowsweet, filipendula ulmaria, which it had this to say:

"Meadowsweet is one herbal remedy that may be useful in treating postherpetic neuralgia. The primary constituents in this herb are salicylates, which are compounds that possess a chemical structure similar to aspirin. Meadowsweet has anti-inflammatory and analgesic, or pain-reducing, action. It is a plant indigenous to certain regions of Europe and Western Asia. The leaves and flower tops of the meadowsweet plant are used in herbal preparations."

You could also do something like kava kava, piper methysticum, which is quite the nerve relaxant. If you are getting it whole herb, make sure you get the inner bark. It's an analgesic sedative for relieving pain. It's a great herb for fibromyalgia, so I can see well why I would be good in your case.
If you do get the whole herb, (I can't speak for commercial tea bags), do a cold water or lukewarm water steep. And from personal experience, be ready for your mouth to go numb. Haha
Also from personal experience, kava is one of those herbs where a small percentage of people (myself included) have a slightly negative reaction in that it brought about a bit of depression for me. Use your intuition, or just be aware when you take it that it is the herb and not you.

Let me know if you want to dig in more.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I was going to mention capiscaicin as Anaeika mentions above. It can now be bought as a cream which I do not think requires a prescription. For some it seems to work very well; not so much for others, so might be something to try.

Love all the suggestions above. Will bookmark these for sure.

Also, I would emphasize a good general immune booster in the form of lots of sleep (plus any of the other great herbal suggestions above that generally boost immunity). I believe it is more common than generally perceived that there is a general body component to shingles, so taking care of one's self is vital. Less stress, more sleep and such.

Then, a favorite cream over the lesions to keep the skin generally in good shape. I am currently a great fan of creams with a beeswax base plus essential oils such as lavender; though I do not know what she has available locally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)