Promoted Hamburger and a soft drink - even worse than we thought (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Burger, fries, and a Coke/Pepsi/Dr. Pepper - a traditional meal for many. In recent times, there are more restaurants offering the traditional meal made with quality ingredients. After a football game where do kids go - for a burger and soft drink. What is a fun family meal - a burger and soft drink. Even SNL had a classic piece with John Belushi serving hamburgers with Pepsi - no Coke.

Most of us know the pitfalls of high-fructose corn syrup and high sugar content beverages, but they are such an integral part of our lives in the US that most people don't even think about it. When I was a child, having sodas at home was unusual - they began mass marketing to households when I was a child. Dr. Pepper had a slogan of 10-2-4, which were the times when you could drink one for a little pick me up. One of my relatives created a small scandal in the early 1960s because she was observed drinking a coke while she watered her front yard plants early in the morning (it was a southern lady thing).

So what has happened with this American staple? A small study suggests a correlation between a slow down in metabolism when sugary drinks are combined with protein. I think you can just look around at the growing corpulence of the American population for confirmation. What shall we do - make water the cool thing to drink. Advertising ideas anyone??

Not only were these meals typically calorie-rich, but the combination also slowed down the fat-burning process all the while not adding anything to satiety. In essence, the typical American diet makes us fatter because we feel hungry easier while not burning anything off.

This small study, published in BMC Nutrition, concluded that around a third of the additional calories found in sugary drinks were not spent while reducing metabolism. This, the study’s authors said, “primed” the body to store more fat. The effect was particularly evident when the drinks were paired with a protein-rich meal. On average, metabolism was slowed by eight percent when a sugar-sweetened drink was taken with a meal that was 15 percent protein. This rate was further exacerbated when protein content was increased. Taking a 30 percent protein meal with a sugary drink, for example, decreased metabolism by 12.6 percent. The researchers also noted that while sugary drinks increased the amount of energy used to metabolize meals, the increase was not enough to even out the additional calories found in the drink.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-08-04-combining-sugary-drinks-with-protein-found-to-accelerate-the-bodys-storage-of-fat.html

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I have about 6 tins of coke a year. I just can't handle the sweetness anymore. I cut back on my beer intake for similar reasons but still have several most evenings. Water is now the beveridge of choice with meals now.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I do find I drink more water (on hot days when one needs to stay hydrated) with something in it.
My favourite is a bit of lemon or other citrus, or a bit of wine, which I don't mind having very diluted. Also a favourite, (a good quality) essential oil in water... lots of flavour possibilities there!
BTW, the liver loves that lemon + water combo<3

And, as you say, Pucksterguy, our tastes can and do change... which can be used to develop tastebuds that work in favour or one's metabolism. The mind is a powerful tool for change. If used with awareness, magic happens:cool:

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I used to love a coke when I came back on the boat after a dive, something about the sweetness combating the sea water.

As a child, a coke was a treat because it cost sixpence.

Now I can' stand them. Too sweet.

Great article Linda. Thank you for reminding me how sensible my parents were.

Reactions: Stargazer and Linda

Glo

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 24, 2017
Arkansas
Great article, I quit drinking pop years ago...actually anything carbonated as I found out carbonic acid (hence another chemical - carbon dioxide) will eat the enamel off the teeth and get into the cracks and crevices to form cavities, not to mention what it will do to the esophagus and stomach. So, I drink a lot of water and some tea.

Reactions: Stargazer and Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)