HALLOWEEN: SHARE YOUR LOCAL GHOSTS, GOBLINS, MONSTERS, DECORATIONS, COSTUMES, STICKY SPIDER WEBS (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Photographing Halloween has been a tradition for me for quite some time now. It is especially because I have mixed feelings about the holiday and about Salem, which hosts quite the annual celebration. There is irony in this: Salem is the place of the Witch Hangings in 1692, an utter and total tragedy, yet the town has adopted Halloween quite like New Orleans hosting Mardi Gras. I can never seem to reconcile this. I don't understand why so many Wiccans would settle in this town (there are thousands) that treated witches with revulsion either. But it is a big holiday, big business, and it is fun for many. I shoot this, especially because I am perplexed, and because I am a fan of beauty, and this is a contrarian exercise.

This thread is also an invitation to post your Halloween art.

Here are my first impressions this year:

WICKED-GUY-WITH-VIGNETTE_DSC8824.jpg
He was my first encounter.

CREEPY-COUPLE_DSC8835.jpg
They were just hanging out.

FAIRY-IN-WINDOW_DSC8864.jpg
An elven princess, I think.

WOMAN-PAINTING-IN-WINDOW_DSC8867.jpg
There is quite a bit of creativity unleashed as well in window dressings.

STAR-CARRIER-1_DSC8879.jpg
The owner of the store – called Lady Irene – was a tarot and coffee reader who was welcoming to me, and she encouraged photographing the store. She was especially proud of this "star carrier" and lit it for me.

WINDOW-WITH-PALM-AND-SKULL_DSC8829.jpg
Artifacts and symbols abound of mystery, fortune telling and those who have crossed the veil.

HAT-AND-A-SPIDER_DSC8854.jpg
Of course, there are plenty of costumes and souvenirs.

SKELETON-IN-WINDOW_DSC8834.jpg
This is the season of the veil at its thinnest.

OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Further Information about Halloween

Please note that there is a fascinating explanation and discussion about Halloween in the Shamanism, Druidism & Paganism Forum in a pinned post on The Yearly Festivals: Samhain (there are different spellings of this as you will note on Ben's post). Ben has done a thoughtful analysis.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Beautiful photos, Krena! Your's is interesting too StevenScotyy! I wish I had some pics to post but it seems nobody decorates where I live now. There are no children near.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
IMG_6882.JPG

Best photo of the evening.
Pooped Pokemon.
I am relating.
Hardly any time for shooting.

Some great costumes.
Popcorn very creative.
Several emojis.
Way too many grim reapers and ninjas, though unicorns were popular.

Over 400 visitors.
We had to close.
Before 8!

Last edited:

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
View attachment 1464

Best photo of the evening.
Pooped Pokemon.
I am relating.
Hardly any time for shooting.

Some great costumes.
Popcorn very creative.
Several emojis.
Way too many grim reapers and ninjas, though unicorns were popular.

Over 400 visitors.
We had to close.
Before 8!
You said you started with 412 so with 400 visitors you have some for you!! Happy Halloween!

Reactions: Stargazer and Krena

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Around here, moms and dads dress up in costumes and go with their young children. One family was from Harry Potter - dad was Dumbledore, and we had a conversation about how to manage long hair (clips, clips, clips). The 2-yr-old twins were the screaming plants (hysterical to hear them do the "eek"), son and daughter were Harry and Hermione. Another little boy (3-yrs-old) had a space ship costume from some cartoon about kids in space and his parents had Star Wars costumes. He showed me how he could make his spaceship zoom. We had a father and son in Superman costumes. (We told them we wanted them to come back on the weekend and help with some yard work. lol)

Some of the people around here are avid golfers, and use their golf carts for all occasions. Moms get together and follow their older children through the neighborhood.

halloween moms.jpg

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Around here, moms and dads dress up in costumes and go with their young children. One family was from Harry Potter - dad was Dumbledore, and we had a conversation about how to manage long hair (clips, clips, clips). The 2-yr-old twins were the screaming plants (hysterical to hear them do the "eek"), son and daughter were Harry and Hermione. Another little boy (3-yrs-old) had a space ship costume from some cartoon about kids in space and his parents had Star Wars costumes. He showed me how he could make his spaceship zoom. We had a father and son in Superman costumes. (We told them we wanted them to come back on the weekend and help with some yard work. lol)

Some of the people around here are avid golfers, and use their golf carts for all occasions. Moms get together and follow their older children through the neighborhood.

View attachment 1465
I love how involved ppl get! I need to MOVE!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)