Get the bikes out... + make everyone always wear a helmet? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike?

• Total voters

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
We used one of the original jogger strollers for children. Compared to current versions it was huge, simplistic and had no space for diapers, sippy cups nor drink trays. We went through at least 5 different systems of taking our children with us on our adult bicycles... in seats in front of us or behind and in various types of carriers that attached to the bike. I was so good at testing the limits of each of these systems that I perfected the 'Honey, umm, I broke the bicycle carrier but I think I can get a better system' speech. Our children went with us everyplace; either in a carrier on our backs or on our bikes, until they learned to ride or hike on their own. Once, when I was very pregnant, tired, had misjudged how far my 2 year old could walk comfortably and knew that I didn't have it in me to carry her the rest of the way home I suggested, out of desperation, that instead of walking the rest of the home, she fly. I demonstrated, arms out, making a happy whirring noise. It worked! For a while, our neighbours used us as a clock alternativesince they knew they were running late if they were still eating breakfast when our bicycle group rolled down the street toward school. As you have probably guessed, we love the great outdoors, even if it comes in the form of a bike ride to preschool.
image courtesy Wikepedia

Have we learned anything about what gets people on bikes? Oh, yeah. One spring, all the kids on our street suddenly got interested in learning to ride a bike. Everybody else was doing it, so each child wanted in on the action. Different ages, different abilities, different fears and handicaps. The kids who already knew how to ride puffed with pride as they gave tips. The parents on the block all got together, traded notes on safety, where was the best slight downhill, how-tos, where can we get a working bike for cheap, what size bike does my kids need, 'rules of the road' that we'd all insist on... and how to most effectively communicate it all to each other and the kids. It was all ad hoc, made up on the spot as best we could and then modified as needed but we figured out which parents had which skills, which kids needed extra help and all the rest of it. Having lots of experience, our family in demand. One of the biggest questions that came up? Helmets. All the adults had grown up without them. All the adults knew that their kids would wear a helmet every time they got on their bikes. Yes, this did create issues.

Some kids loved helmets. Some hated them. As I've seen demonstrated repeatedly, if you put a helmet on too loosely, a kid can just peel it off whenever they like without even undoing the straps. My confidence in that helmet-wearing style being protective in case of accident? Very close to zero. Sometimes it seems that that helmet was mostly there to demonstrate that the parents had done their parental duty to insist on helmet-wearing. Conversely, a helmet that is too tight or ill-fitting in any way seems to guarantee a universal hatred of helmets. Turns out, if a small child's tender under-the-chin skin is pinched into the helmet clasp by a well-meaning adult, that child often becomes really difficult to convince to put on a helmet ever again.

Why is this important? In an article taking a close look at some unintended public health implications of legislating that everyone must wear a helmet each time they get on their bicycle or face a fine, Larry Huston points out the difference between promoting and legislating bike helmets. Cycling became less popular in Western Australia with enforcement of a mandatory bicycle helmet law and the roads became more dangerous for both car and bicycle drivers. Oops!:oops: In Denmark last year, a country where cycling is a way of life, 26 people died in bicycling accidents; Lars Bo Anderson, PhD of the university of Copenhagen calculated that over 6000 lives were saved by the health benefits of cycling. One can focus on the 26 accidents or on the 6000 lives saved from the activity of cycling.

Huston, in an article written from the cardiology perspective, argues that too much focus on enforcing helmets and too little on the health benefits of getting on our bikes can hurt us. He'd rather spend our money, efforts and messaging resources on getting people on bikes, especially in his native US where cycle commuting is much less popular than elsewhere. He makes a distinction between legislation in countries where it commuter cycling is already very popular versus in places where it is not. He brings up the feeling of freedom that cycling down the street to work can bring, as a factor that significantly weighs in for himself personally. He thinks that anybody who gets in a bike race or goes races down a mountain bike trail is crazy. And he makes an argument that, in order to promote bicycling in places where it is not popular, it needs to be thought of as routine, like getting on a bus, train or car is now. You can read his article here: http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/CardioBrief/65801?xid=nl_mpt_International_2017-06-16&eun=g883822d0r.

What do I think?
I think our experience matters.

It matters that, as a lifelong bicycling promoter, I and others agree with Huston on the importance of making the mental transition toward cycling being routine or 'normal'. It matters a lot. I saw this happen on our block. It was astounding.

It matters that a child's first cycling experiences are fun. If you want them to wear a helmet, it matters that their experiences in one are positive. Make every effort to not pinch that soft skin under the chin (and don't kick yourself too much if you do. It happens:fp) Get an experienced person to adjust that spider's web of straps that keeps your child's helmet strapped on and/or take the time to learn it yourself. Learning how to adjust helmet straps for comfort and safety and my gung-ho cycling attitude are probably the most positive things I personally have done to promote biking.

I think that statistics can be made to support just about any point of view... depending on what point you'd like to make. Just as you can focus on the 26 cycling deaths in Denmark last year, you can also focus on the estimated 6000 lives saved by cycling that same year. You can, further, look into how many people were injured in cycling accidents with head injuries that left them debilitated. Equally, you can look into how many people were saved from other chronic debilitating illnesses by routinely commuting on their bicycle. My experience tells me that you'll have to dig deeper to get that last statistic and that you'd need considerably more determination to find them, as our current system is not built to track measures of things like prevention.

So, dust off your old bike and take it for a ride. See how you like it. See what local trails you like, what weather conditions you enjoy riding in, the works. Doing so, you'll learn something that nobody else can tell you.

1. image of bicycle titled "Bicycle in Plymouth at the start of the 20th century" from Wikepedia, History of the Bicycle, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_bicycle
2. Larry Huston, The Unintended Consequences Of Bicycle Helmets; We should encourage people to cycle, not scare them away. , Medpage Today OpEd, June 5, 2017, http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/CardioBrief/65801?xid=nl_mpt_International_2017-06-16&eun=g883822d0r

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Fantastic article, Lila!

I've been a bike lover since I was a kid and have even ridden one professionally for several years. Although I never wore a helmet as a kid (it was in the 70's and well before helmets were readily available to the public) I ALWAYS do now--and I always insisted my son do so as well.

Wearing a helmet has likely saved my life on at least two occasions, and I've seen firsthand the tragedy that can occur when someone doesn't take wise precautions.

Definitely wear a helmet folks, I don't care how good of a rider you may think you are! Lots of things happen that are completely out of our control (like the dog that ran out in front of me and caused me to crash). I struck the pavement headfirst and was lucky to walk away with only a broken collarbone and a short-term neck injury. Helmets are an inexpensive and simple way to keep yourself out of the hospital--or a pine box.

Oh, and merely hanging it on ones handlebars (as so many people seem to like to do) is just a fool's game. To do someone any good at all, it must be worn--and worn properly. Every time!

Reactions: Tania and Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Cycling became less popular in Western Australia with enforcement of a mandatory bicycle helmet law
Well, I knew I was in tune with you, Lila, anyway, but this very subject of not wearing bike helmets when out cycling has come up for me 2 or 3 times this week when, as a motorist, I have seen cyclists on roads not wearing them (shared bike/road traffic - and yes, that means, buses, trucks, double articulated haulage trucks, everything). As you mention, it is mandatory in Western Australia. I've been noticing that laws that were put in place for everybody's benefit are being flagrantly broken by all and sundry - perhaps it is the "me" generation showing this disregard?

As a driver, I am very aware of cyclists, who are mostly in designated cycle ways, but this is only delineated by a line on the left hand side of the road. When I see one ahead who is also not wearing a helmet - I go onto double alert.

I agree that the pinching chin-strap is one to watch out for!

One purpose I used my child's helmet for (when it was on her head) was to attach a large drawing of two black and white eyes staring up from the top of the helmet. This stopped the magpie parents swooping on my 3 to 4 year old as she wobbled precariously along the bike tracks near our home.

Reactions: Tania and Stargazer

Tania

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Happy eclipse. The amount of bike traffic and the different levels of peoples biking capeabilities - especially in the tourist dense month in the Danish Capital - wearing a helmet is the sensibel thing. Force leads nowhere - encouragement does and it does change becoming a parent as you have a greater responsibility to stay alive since you gave life. We all make the mistake of telling others and our kids what to do - when in actuality what matters is what they see us doing. I support the freedom of adult choices so if adults wants to kill themselves slowly or rather feel alive by being "bad" smoking cigarettes - they choose to do so (The Danish queen smokes unapologetically) but but but expect your kids to potentially pick up the same bad habits. We can not control eachother after all as parents we are here to help our kids become independent adults - but for me the years of skateboarding or biking without a helmet was about feeling alive close to death, and now it has changed into the nuance of not being a hypocrite adult - who says one thing, then and does another. It is hard though growing from someone who could fit everything in their jeans back pocket - to carrying around a helmet and a bag and a raincoat and snacks and...I discovered it's not exactly (or as much) a vanity issue it is the feeling of society caving in on me and comprimising my anarcistic goals. Being all geared up in safety pads is not in actuality going to shield me /us from reality - but it will make you look like a fool who into the structures that you are fighting against ...then again the reality is that if you hit your head because some less capeable cycklist veers out to avoid a 4 year old biking with their parent in rush hour (yes and that is not illegal ) then all of a sudden you could end up on the sideline of the free life you wanted. Hope no offense is taking for my opinions i try to be honest and balance out the complexity of the for and against - and yes looking free and feeling free is a grey zone and you could be more free in a wheel chair than walking to your job on wall street - depends on how you integrate your experiences, reflect and live. cheers.

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Some great points there, Tania! Especially about how our perception of what it means to wear a helmet can and does for many of us, change over time and especially when we become parents.
...and also about what freedom means. So true<3

Tania

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Some great points there, Tania! Especially about how our perception of what it means to wear a helmet can and does for many of us, change over time and especially when we become parents.
...and also about what freedom means. So true<3
Biking is such a relatively easy way to experience a sense of freedom - and sometimes the wind in your hair I guess you gauge the situation and maybe the rush hour commute in Manhatten you wear your helmet and biking to the remote beach on vacation you feel the breeze and take it slow ....

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Yes, I was just traveling to a place where helmets are very much socially optional... but then, the roads and driving habits are totally different than at home too.
Adaptability and a dose of discrimination are our friends here, I believe<3

Reactions: Tania and Snowmelt

Tania

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Yes, I was just traveling to a place where helmets are very much socially optional... but then, the roads and driving habits are totally different than at home too.
Adaptability and a dose of discrimination are our friends here, I believe<3
Yes I did not even write how in Copenhagen there are actual bike lanes slightly elevated from the road and the seperate sidewalks slightly elevated from the bike lanes. Also on major intersections bikes have their own lights so they get to go ahead of the cars. All of this is something we take for granted but also very encourageing for knowing your rights as a cyclist and getting your children started early. We also have 3 wheeled bikes with big boxes in front for transporting things and people and can fit a child or two napping - so yes helping promote this type of lifestyle. Cars here are also extremely expensive because of taxation and the sidewalks doesn't just all of a sudden stop like in America - so you could walk / bike or run anywhere although you'll have to catch a boat or ferry at some point cause we are surrounded by water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)