Furniture Bank (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
There is a volunteer group in Austin that works with other agencies to provide furniture for homeless people who are getting back on their feet. Originally, they worked with homeless veterans, but expanded to all homeless people.

Imagine what it is like to go from existing in a car or tent to having a job and a place to live. It is great to cross those hurdles, but what about a bed to sleep in, a table and chairs, as well as pots and pans and dishes. A couple of people in our neighborhood work with this group and constantly remind us that we can donate our gently used household items.

Check to see if there is a similar group in your area and encourage friends and family to donate. It is a great way to make sure these items go directly to the ones who need them.

http://www.texvet.org/afb

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I've been on the receiving end of such services as this in the past, through a parent — I haven't dealt directly with them. It's very important for people.

I just saw this notice on their website:

December 19, 2017

Much like a bear does when food is in short supply, Austin Furniture Bank is going into “hibernation.”

We’re no longer taking orders. We vacated our warehouse on December 31st, 2017.

We sincerely appreciate working with each and every one of you. It’s been a privilege to support you and your organization’s mission to help the central Texas community.

We’re going to take some time to get our bearings and figure out where to go from here. When we “wake up” again, we’ll be sure to let you know!​

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)