Food Deserts, Mirages, and just plain bad food (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Food deserts are places where fresh foods are in limited supply, which usually are associated with lower income and smaller communities. We briefly lived in a small town, and I learned all about "second tier" markets. These are places to which the stock from "top tier" markets are moved.

Food mirages are places where the quality food is too expensive for most people (like Whole Foods). In our area, I've seen the local grocery store counter that with sourcing products from local producers, which means the prices are in line with the questionable stuff from national food lines.

So what happens when all places have access to quality and affordable foods? This article suggests that food choices come down to culture. You eat what you know. This makes sense to me. How do you know how to cook spaghetti squash unless you see someone do it?

However, I disagree with the premise that it is a phenomenon associated with lower incomes. My grandparents were not wealthy people, but I learned how to cook from scratch from my grandmother. I suggest it has more to do with big business and promoting what is cool. If you watch TV, nothing is cooler than highly processed food, right?

One conclusion with which I do agree, is promoting and teaching cooking. I'm an adventurous person and will try new things. Often in the check-out line, I'm asked if something is good. The other thing that goes hand-in-hand is gardening. Nothing is better than a tomato fresh off the vine.

PS - I found that cooking with your children is a time when topics and questions easily arise. So, if you have younger ones, plan ahead for those teenage years and get them into the kitchen now.

https://www.treehugger.com/health/whats-prevents-american-households-eating-better.html

Reactions: Laron and Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
This health nut loves your post Linda !
One of the things that I learned, is very simple, & do with my family is having a veggie tray. It reduces overeating at dinner time and encourages my littles to eat more of the good stuff.
Dr. Sears, pediatrician, recommends having a veggie tray out all day to promote healthy snacking.

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)