Drone-hunting: with eagles! (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This eagle took down a drone hat a farmer was using to view his crops from a 'bird's-eye' view: http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-05-24/wedge-tailed-eagle-takes-down-drone-over-wa-wheat-farm/8554120

The inset shows Dutch police doing the same on purpose for 'rogue drones'.

Raptors have been used to hunt for centuries. They can for example, find game in a desert that seems barren and provide a Bedouin family with meat that might otherwise be scarce.
Now, the eagles get modern an take their skills to tech items flying around :eek:

I bet they have fun doing it, too!
There is a reason we have a saying about the 'eagle's eye view<3

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I saw my first commercial drone flying past my private space and getting a good gawk-in, when I lived on the ocean front in a double-storey home about 7 years ago. At that time, of course I was indignant for loss of privacy. Now, I feel a word of caution coming up, in relation to a possible "eye-in-the-sky" which, if it eventuates, would be planetary overview. It would be seen from every angle. It may just be a bright light (as seen in the latest Bladerunner movie) or it may visibly appear as an eye. On this site, I don't feel I need to explain that this would be an alien intervention.

Let us hope that we shift timelines before we are subjected to anything like an eye-in-the-sky!

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I bet they have fun doing it, too!
There is a reason we have a saying about the 'eagle's eye view
Not that it is relevant to drone hunting but all birds of prey have the ability to see the ultra violet spectrum. This enables them to track the urine trail that rodents leave as the move around the ground, thereby allowing them to "see" their prey.

ABSTRACT: "The ability to perceive the near ultraviolet part of the light spectrum (the wavelength 320–400 nm) has been detected in many bird species. This ability is an important bird sense. The ecological importance of UV perception has been studied mainly in the context of intra- and inter-sexual signalling, common species communication and also in foraging. Some birds of prey use UV reflectance in their feeding strategy: e.g., the kestrel (Falco tinnunculus), but also other birds of prey are able to recognize the presence of voles by perceiving the UV reflectance of their scent urine marks"
https://www.vri.cz/docs/vetmed/54-8-351.pdf

Last edited:
OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Not that it is relevant to drone hunting but all birds of prey have the ability to see the ultra violet spectrum. This enables them to track the urine trail that rodents leave as the move around the ground, thereby allowing them to "see" their prey.
Didn't know that.
So cool:cool:

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)