Tips Don't use chemicals; instead try these (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
Have you ever wanted to remove those weeds without breaking your back or using harmful chemicals?

Many of us love to garden, grow our own food, and just keep a green space to relax. Well that also means weeds. Some people don't mind them but most would rather them not take over.

Pulling weeds is by far the most earth friendly when it comes to the natural way of doing things, but many of us don't have the time or the back like we used too; I know this to be true in my case on many levels. And with so many harmful chemicals added to the environment who wants to be "that person."

There are a few other ways to get rid of those pesky weeds without damaging our beautiful planet. And I will talk about the one I use and I will share a link that has a few others.

White vinegar. It's not just for cooking or pickeling. Using at full strength in a sprayer or even a spray bottle this miracle worker has helped me on so many occasions. It takes longer than a harmful chemical but it does work.

I find it best to spray on a sunny day in the morning after any moisture has dried. Also check that weather forecast and make sure there is no rain that day. Depending on how weedy the space is you may need to spray it a few times for it to kill everything.

Try to avoid spraying anything you want to keep. If by chance you happen to accidentally spray the wrong thing, rinse it with water or just remove that pet of the plant. I find using food coloring in the tank or bottle will help you to see where you have sprayed-blue works best.

So give it a try. If you have any other suggestions feel free to share. I am sharing a link to an article by Derek Markham from treehugger.com on 6 Homamade Herbicides. I have reviewed the article and find his information very accurate. I will say this, if you use salt/sodium be careful because if too much gets into the soil it will cause many issues and you will not be able to plant in that spot again unless you do a major overhaul and soil amendment. ENJOY!

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/homemade-herbicide-kill-weeds-without-killing-earth.html

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
something other than weeds... is there a natural way to get rid of plant lice? especially those that hide under a shield (sorry dont know the word in english)? i have a case, an anthurium plant and i would really rather use something more natural than the pesticides from the store...
for the regular light green ones outside i used an extract of stinging nettle and it worked, but it is useless for those with a shield.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
something other than weeds... is there a natural way to get rid of plant lice? especially those that hide under a shield (sorry dont know the word in english)? i have a case, an anthurium plant and i would really rather use something more natural than the pesticides from the store...
for the regular light green ones outside i used an extract of stinging nettle and it worked, but it is useless for those with a shield.

Lilia is there a way you can find a picture of what you are talking about. That way I can correctly identify the creature in English and can give you the best advice.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
yes sure:

thanks Kristy :)

edit: i found it on wikipedia, its supposed to be called just "scale insect"

Hi Lilia

Yes that is a type of Scale (what we call it here) and the best thing you can use is a horticultural oil/neem oil. Which is mostly pertoleum jelly or vegetable oil based. You can find it online or most garden shops or place that sells chemicals will have it and other natural products especially since many people have been going more natural.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I use Neem oil. For a smaller plant, I apply it directly to those little suckers with a Q-tip. For larger shrubs, I use a spray, but only after the bees have retired for the evening so their little wings won't get coated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)