Dogs, Large & Small — Share Your Canine Stories (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Feel free to share any story you like, about a canine, and it could be anything. It may be a friends dog. It could be a dog you met on the street. It might be your dog.

I came across this picture I posted on Facebook a while back.

That's a Caucasian Shepherd. They're a large breed of dog that's popular in Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia — extremely popular in Georgia.

I then thought to myself, "Why not create a thread to share our experiences with the canines of the world."

And here it is.

I've never owned a dog, but I have dreams to do so when the situation is right. I recall Stargazers two dogs, which I think may be huskies, if that memory of mine serves me correctly — that's unless the Mandela effect has come into play!

A husky is what I have always wanted, and perhaps a border collie.

husky dog.jpg
Huskies. Image Source: Flickr

border collie scottish.jpg
Scottish Border Collie.

I placed the thread here under the Health, Somatics & Psychological Well-being board because dogs provide not just companionship, entertainment for the kids, protection, and sniffing out bombs and drugs, but can heal in many different ways.

So let me tell you my story.

Ever since I was a child I've been coming to our family cabin, which we call a bach in New Zealand. It's situated in a national park here in New Zealand, right next to a beach with open coast. There is only one way in and it's only accessible when the tide is out. No power or plumbing, so water has to be carried from a waterfall, about a four minute walk away. Another 30 minute walk leads one to a seal colony, as well as a site where the indigenous Maori once had a settlement.

So before reaching that spot, there's a car park and then you hike in for about 30 minutes. Near there is a spiritual community where people purchase property in the same area and join together now and again, so tend to be like-minded folk. Up on the hill is a house with the head of a dragon, a kind of statue that looks out over the area.

So ever since I was a child, I saw that dragon, and still do today.

I'm getting to the point, I just had to fill in that history!

So my father used to have a dog that was named exactly the same as this community I mentioned above. She was about three or four when I saw her last. Here's a photo I took of her 3 years ago, so she would be around 6 or 7 now.

10697165_10154621793040057_5738513001536859412_o.jpg

We got on well. I would take her for walks along the beach and play fetch with her at the wharf where she would keenly jump off into the water.

Well, when she was around four or five, my father had to give her away for personal reasons. I wasn't there at the time, so I couldn't say goodbye.

I heard he had given her to someone with a mental disability, which I thought sounded like a great owner.

About six months on I learnt that the person she was now with lived in the house in that community I mentioned earlier, which had the dragons head. I was really happy and somewhat surprised to hear that.

Every time I return to the bach, I see that dragon and will be reminded of her. I may even visit one day and say hello.

It's now time to tell your story.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
What is the word limit on replies? I could write an epic story. <3

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I.... Love. Dogs.

My family has owned dogs all throughout my life. First being a border collie mix named Crash. Where there is tell of me having been dragged around the floor when i was a baby because I grabbed his tail. He was with us long enough for me to be very fond of him and I think from him I was always partial to border collies or some sort of sheep dog.
We also from there kept various cocker spaniels which are just adorable and all kinds of amazing. Haha

My husband and I were able to get two dogs who are with us now, maybe 7 and 6 years in age. Lucy and Charlie.

20171231_125041.jpg

They are so full of character.

While I could blab on about my adorable puppy babies, and yak about their personalities and how they work with each other, I'll just mention that I've at one point in time had telepathic communications with Charlie (the dog on the right.) i feel i have him in my life for a purpose. Protection and comfort. He's helped me heal in ways I didn't expect. ❤❤❤

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
See how your beauty is showing his tooth (fang)? I call that their smile. Your other one is showing her tummy, just ready for a rub.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
One of the things I love about dogs in general is that no matter what their shape or size, no matter how woolly, or straight of fur, their nose is their hard core centre of their being. It is prominent, it is made of a resistant, but no-scratch material, it is slightly flexible, and it always sports two enormous nostrils.... for scenting with. It can tell an owner whether their dog is well or sick, and it snuffles and scuffles and leads them all over the place, and makes their tail wag. Yep, a dog's nose is their rose.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Laron, having spent some time in the South Island of New Zealand, I have been lucky enough to spend a day at a sheep dog trial. Although this kind of event is televised, you really need to be there in person, to get the full flavour. The border collies are working dogs who keep their herds of sheep in neat squares, as they run them up hill and down dale on the very steep flanks of some of Canterbury's hills/mountains. This is where the canine intelligence shines, as you realise they know every trick about the ones they are protecting and herding, and then some.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Every year in a place called Prescott, Arizona, is an event called Dogtoberfest. I used to visit my sister and we’d walk our yorkies, meeting other dog-lovers. Everything was set up for dogs including bathing, vet check-ups, home-made doggie biscuits, doggie obstacle courses, and more.

This town is very dog-friendly and walkable. The restaurants and business allow dogs. Most places have patios and water bowls. There’s even a family-owned Italian restaurant that gives a large complimentary meatball to furry visitors.

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
What is the word limit on replies? I could write an epic story. <3
It's a lot! There is a setting but it's like 20,000 something if I remember right.

They are so full of character.
I love that photo! Thanks for sharing Angela.

Although this kind of event is televised, you really need to be there in person, to get the full flavour.
I grew up seeing my father watching the TV shows of the collie's rounding up the sheep. He also had a lot of dogs over the years from working on a dairy farm, so now and again I would visit and hang out with them — got to see them round up the cows a lot.

This town is very dog-friendly and walkable. The restaurants and business allow dogs. Most places have patios and water bowls. There’s even a family-owned Italian restaurant that gives a large complimentary meatball to furry visitors.
I remember in Austin when I was visiting admin Linda, how one coffee place did the drive through and handed out a dog treat.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
One of the dogs I grew up with had the sweetest personality. We knew whenever he'd done something he 'wasn't supposed to' as he'd greet us with his tail between his legs, head down, eyes pleading (classic "Oops, I'm sorry but it was good/fun' posture).

A few things I recall having happened that lead to this greeting:
- eating the steak mom put to marinade; then forgot on the counter (she hadn't the heart to really scold him for that one)
- playing ball with one of the round Christmas ornaments that rolled off when he brushed past the tree (which was placed where he wasn't supposed to go). Lots of chew marks gave that one away.
- knocking down said Christmas tree
- chewing any and all available slippers (mmm, so smelly and tasty)
- getting past his 'don't go past this' barrier in innumerable creative ways
- sleeping in our rooms, where our scent was strong and things were cozy

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Every year in a place called Prescott, Arizona, is an event called Dogtoberfest. I used to visit my sister and we’d walk our yorkies, meeting other dog-lovers. Everything was set up for dogs including bathing, vet check-ups, home-made doggie biscuits, doggie obstacle courses, and more.

I lived in mesa for 5 years. If I had known about this we totally would've gone to it!

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I've never owned a dog, but I have dreams to do so when the situation is right. I recall Stargazers two dogs, which I think may be huskies, if that memory of mine serves me correctly — that's unless the Mandela effect has come into play!
Yes, they are indeed Huskies! :)

As a wee lad, I grew up with dogs off and on. While we lived in an apartment in the city and couldn't have dogs, my nearby family always had them--and I LOVED them. I think one of the most special things about dogs is that they make the very best friends. They're always happy, joyful, and so awfully glad to see you! Few things say "love" as much as the unpretentious, furry beast that leans into your leg, tail wagging, for a rub between the ears. :)

I'm especially fond of the larger breeds--especially German Shepherds, Bernese Mountain Dogs, and Huskies. One day I hope to have a few acres where we can have a half dozen or so dogs without having to worry about being buried in dog poop!

IMG_6234.JPG

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Many dogs (and a few cats) have invited us to be part of their lives. Some were with us for a short time, and others, stayed until the end of the party. Here are few that I've not written about before.

A Heinz 57 who saved my life by jumping and barking to wake me up - flame went out on stove and house was filling with gas.

A gentle giant who would let toddlers pull up on him and then take tiny steps so they could walk.

Another giant who preferred men, but came to me when he needed something. He had a habit of walking by and bumping me, which usually made me lose my balance. It was our little joke. After he passed, I continued to feel his bumping me for several days.

The many "lost" ones who ended up here -

Little fluff ball who was so excited to be part of our big dog pack. The big ones were a little confused about whether or not this was a dog, but let him join the group. When the owner came for him, he started backing away from the door, and our big ones walked up and stood on either side of him. All I could think was bleep, bleep, bleep - do I shut the door in the owner's face? Then he decided to go with his owner, and all was well. Whew - that was a close one.

Another gentle giant who walked all the way down to our house. As I was walking her back, the mailman stopped because he knew she belonged at another address. He said he would take her home, and she hopped in his truck.

I always feel graced by their presence.

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
And some of them come back to us after they pass. They may look a bit different the second time around, but their old personalities are still there. I was honored once by a cat with such event. She has passed already and her grave is my yard. The cross has her name on top and below it reads "the kitty that came back."

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
And some of them come back to us after they pass. They may look a bit different the second time around, but their old personalities are still there. I was honored once by a cat with such event. She has passed already and her grave is my yard. The cross has her name on top and below it reads "the kitty that came back."
You remind me now of the movie, A Dogs Purpose, which really touched me. I loved it. I understand the book is great as well.

a-dogs-purpose-crop.jpg maxresdefault.jpg A-Dogs-Purpose.jpg

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Another giant who preferred men, but came to me when he needed something. He had a habit of walking by and bumping me, which usually made me lose my balance. It was our little joke. After he passed, I continued to feel his bumping me for several days.
LOL...that's AWESOME!!! :)

You remind me now of the movie, A Dogs Purpose, which really touched me. I loved it. I understand the book is great as well.
That movie is in the stack of DVDs I've yet to watch...one of these days! ;)

Reactions: Laron and Lila

AmandaPanda17

Involved Wayfarer
Nov 13, 2017
Oklahoma
My dog has superpowers.... jk.
she my best friend. Shera. My 9 year old has ADHD, it's been rough on her being able to make friends and this beautiful angel loves her to the moon and back. She will lay by her chair till she gets home from school. Dogs rock.

20180123_192605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
View attachment 3499

This pooch poohed the mat inside my front door (in a bit of a dark niche), and yes, I stepped full on it as I opened the front door and sunlight streamed in to reveal the evidence. We are still looking warily at each other from across the room.
Ah, nonverbal communication, doggie style! Stinky but clear:rolleyes::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)