Dandelions are quite handy (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
J

John Swails

when you run out of toilet paper and you need a good thing to cleaning I have found that dandelions that are growing with their nice large green leaves and covered in morning dew are perfect :)

OP
J

John Swails

this is first year I have understood how brilliant they are. I made dandelion teas and harvested roots. they grow in insane abundance in my backyard and since i use no chemicals or fertilizers they are quite healthy

Reactions: Stargazer and Laron
OP
J

John Swails

I have dandelion root tea, its great for stress and anxiety relief, amongst many other things.
I get so few roots that I had to put in a chamomile garden instead. I am quite happy with how prolific my roman chamomile is. Its much stronger than german chamomile. Has worked quite well thus far. I also planted spearmint and mint to go along with the teas. Lots of dehydrating done this summer to store up the teas. More to come.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I have dandelion root tea, its great for stress and anxiety relief, amongst many other things.
Dandelion root truly is awesome. It's amazing for cleansing the liver, and really all the digestive organs. Thus, it can help with skin disorders of all kinds. Roasted dandelion root can increase uptake of organic calcium in the body. (And it smells like peanut butter. Haha).

The leaf if high in potassium, vitamins a, b, c, and d.

Truly a wonderful herb.

This year when i did a garden, i had LOADS of super healthy roots that i dug up, all proud and happy bounty. I cleaned then and dried them (as best i could. This was my first time with root harvest. )
After i moved i was going through my herb box and found an entire bag of mold. I was mortified and immediately threw it away. Clearly i didn't dry it out well enough. Haha :-D

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
when you run out of toilet paper and you need a good thing to cleaning I have found that dandelions that are growing with their nice large green leaves and covered in morning dew are perfect :)
Oh, my...I'm not so sure about our version in "sun-baked" California! Ours look rather spiky...it might make for a REALLY uncomfortable moment or two...

Unless I'm confusing it with something else. :confused:

Reactions: John Swails
C

Constantina

FYI Other toilet paper alternatives include, wooly lambs ears (the plant not the real thing), fig and persimmon leafs and corn silk..or newspaper..you know if in dire need.
Wooly lambs ears also double up as a bandage as it's very absorbent. :)

Samara

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Passau, Germany
I make salad from dandelion stalks (and/or leaves) and tomatoes and a little bit of onion... tastes lovely, just never can eat much of it because my stomach protests after half a bowlful lol seems to be too much bitter at a time but thats ok too much of any food is not good and a certain amount of dandelion is great for the liver, no matter if roots leaves or stalks...
you can make some kind of "honey" from sugar, water and the dandelion flowers, tastes almost like the real honey... and dandelion flowers in oil supposed to be good to rub it in for tensed muscles I never tried it though...

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Dandelion also attracts monarch butterflies. Monarch catepillars eat the leaves. Dandelions are very important to keep monarchs alive, so please avoid Roundup and choose to keep them alive. Also, please consider a dandelion garden.

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)