1. Welcome Guest
    Welcome to the Roundtable Forum, the community boards for www.transients.info. If you have an account already, please log in, otherwise feel free to sign up. Note that you will be unable to post new threads, reply to existing threads, or have access to some boards and information unless you are logged in after signing up with a forum account. By being registered you can also post comments on front page articles using your forum Account.
    Dismiss Notice

Dandelions are quite handy

Discussion in 'Homesteading, Horticulture, Permaculture, Prepping' started by John Swails, Jul 23, 2016.

1. John Swails

John Swails Shimmering Soul Retired Moderator

when you run out of toilet paper and you need a good thing to cleaning I have found that dandelions that are growing with their nice large green leaves and covered in morning dew are perfect :)

• I like this post. I like this post. x 1
    • That's a helpful post! That's a helpful post! x 1
    • That's funny! That's funny! x 1
  2. Laron

Laron Healing Facilitator & Consciousness Guide Staff Member Administrator Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable

There is one I use over here in NZ but I can't recall the name of it right now. It's very soft and a bit furry.

• I like this post. I like this post. x 2
  3. John Swails

this is first year I have understood how brilliant they are. I made dandelion teas and harvested roots. they grow in insane abundance in my backyard and since i use no chemicals or fertilizers they are quite healthy

4. Constantina

Constantina Shimmering Soul

Wooly lambs ears?

• That's a helpful post! That's a helpful post! x 1
  5. Vickie

Vickie Boundless Creation Retired Moderator

I would never have thought about using dandelions for that!! I hope I don't ever run out of toilet paper. LOL

• That's funny! That's funny! x 3
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Laron

Laron Healing Facilitator & Consciousness Guide Staff Member Administrator Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable

Yes that may be them based on the photo but I am not 100% confident.

lambs-ear-53664_640.jpg

• I like this post. I like this post. x 3
    • I agree with you. I agree with you. x 1
  7. Brian

Brian Resolute Spirit

• I just love this post! I just love this post! x 1
  8. Constantina

I have dandelion root tea, its great for stress and anxiety relief, amongst many other things.

• That's very informative. That's very informative. x 2
  9. John Swails

I get so few roots that I had to put in a chamomile garden instead. I am quite happy with how prolific my roman chamomile is. Its much stronger than german chamomile. Has worked quite well thus far. I also planted spearmint and mint to go along with the teas. Lots of dehydrating done this summer to store up the teas. More to come.

• That's very informative. That's very informative. x 1
  10. Angela

Angela Resolute Spirit

Dandelion root truly is awesome. It's amazing for cleansing the liver, and really all the digestive organs. Thus, it can help with skin disorders of all kinds. Roasted dandelion root can increase uptake of organic calcium in the body. (And it smells like peanut butter. Haha).

The leaf if high in potassium, vitamins a, b, c, and d.

Truly a wonderful herb.

This year when i did a garden, i had LOADS of super healthy roots that i dug up, all proud and happy bounty. I cleaned then and dried them (as best i could. This was my first time with root harvest. )
    After i moved i was going through my herb box and found an entire bag of mold. I was mortified and immediately threw it away. Clearly i didn't dry it out well enough. Haha :-D

• That's very informative. That's very informative. x 2
  11. Stargazer

Stargazer Boundless Creation Staff Member Moderator

Oh, my...I'm not so sure about our version in "sun-baked" California! Ours look rather spiky...it might make for a REALLY uncomfortable moment or two...

Unless I'm confusing it with something else. :confused:

12. Constantina

FYI Other toilet paper alternatives include, wooly lambs ears (the plant not the real thing), fig and persimmon leafs and corn silk..or newspaper..you know if in dire need.
    Wooly lambs ears also double up as a bandage as it's very absorbent. :)

• That's a helpful post! That's a helpful post! x 2
  13. Samara

Samara Steadfast Being

I make salad from dandelion stalks (and/or leaves) and tomatoes and a little bit of onion... tastes lovely, just never can eat much of it because my stomach protests after half a bowlful lol seems to be too much bitter at a time but thats ok too much of any food is not good and a certain amount of dandelion is great for the liver, no matter if roots leaves or stalks...
    you can make some kind of "honey" from sugar, water and the dandelion flowers, tastes almost like the real honey... and dandelion flowers in oil supposed to be good to rub it in for tensed muscles I never tried it though...

• I just love this post! I just love this post! x 2
    • I'm intrigued by this! I'm intrigued by this! x 1
  14. Anaeika

Anaeika Visiting Paragon Staff Member Moderator

Dandelion also attracts monarch butterflies. Monarch catepillars eat the leaves. Dandelions are very important to keep monarchs alive, so please avoid Roundup and choose to keep them alive. Also, please consider a dandelion garden.

• That sounds divine! That sounds divine! x 1
    • I'm intrigued by this! I'm intrigued by this! x 1
  15. Anaeika

I am sorry, but this thread is making me giggle so much!

• That sounds divine! That sounds divine! x 1
  16. Anaeika

Wow! The leaves are beautiful and so soft looking. I just want to reach out & touch one.

• I just love this post! I just love this post! x 2