Concert Hall on top of warehouse in Hamburg, Germany (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I love to see creative reuse of existing structures, rather than wholesale demolition. Also, when combined just right, people using one venue do not interfere with those using the other. This has a positive influence on parking, traffic, and utility usage.

Sure there will be structural issues and building regulations that may drive the cost to or beyond that of a new structure. At some point, people have to be willing to see the value of the intangibles, and decide the project is worth it. I believe these are people with a view greater than the bottom line, and I support them.

This project is a concert hall on top of a 19th century masonry warehouse in Hamburg, Germany. At the same time, the project includes hi-rise condos and a Westin hotel, which suggests the concert hall may not be financially accessible to everyone. Also, the structure dominates the skyline of a mostly lo-rise area.

Have any of our German readers been there?

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/herzog-and-de-meurons-elbphilharmonie-concert-hall

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Have any of our German readers been there?
Just heard it on the radio that it opened recently and everything is very espensive there. Certainly impressive but not affordable for the average Joe and Jill it seems. :(

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Sinera I was afraid of that once I saw the Westin was there. We have a similar venue here that includes the home of Austin City Limits (music program on our public broadcasting TV station).

So, yes, it is a remarkable achievement, but it might fall into the realm of gentrification. This is a big issue here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)