Coffee machine/maker and tea kettle (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Which is better?

I mean if you used/converted to it.

I for one love both of them. Now, I'm in the middle road with this and especially we are moving. I have no whatsoever clue as to which one I should use. Since I'm pretty much going to be the one whom drinks more then my sister and her bf.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
We have a regular "drip" style coffee maker (pretty much always have) at home and it's just fine if you like plain coffee. We had a Keurig at work that was pretty nice, as you can make one cup at a time and easily swap between types and flavors of coffee with the individual brewing cups. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care as much for the Keurig style coffees as much as the "drip" type. If I want something flavored, I can add a flavored creamer or go to any number of local coffee houses!

There's also something to be said for the "old school" way my grandfather used to make his coffee. He'd make a pot of boiling water on the stove, dump a small measuring cup full of ground coffee in the pot, let it boil for awhile, then strain it out into his cup. It certainly wasn't fancy, but it sure made for a nice, strong cup o' joe!

:)

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'm the only coffee drinker, so I use a french press with fair trade coffee beans. My favorite is from the side of the Momotambo volcano in Nicaragua, which amazingly I can buy at the local grocery.

I also figured out how to make cold brew coffee without buying the special machine. It does take some planning because it has to steep in the fridge for 12 hours. I made a post about it. https://www.transients.info/roundtable/threads/cold-brew-coffee.316/

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
On the subject of heating water, this year for economy reasons I switched from an electric kettle (plugged in at the wall) to the old-fashioned water kettle with a spout on the gas jet on the hub of the stove. Now the kettle whistles at me to come and turn the gas jet off when it is boiling. I converted to this because I found out it is quite a lot cheaper to heat water by gas, rather than by electricity. Those electric kettles have quite a powerful electrical draw, which costs you!

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Growing up at home we used to make coffee in a stove top espresso coffee coffee maker. https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker/dp/B000CNY6UK?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000CNY6UK I had one as well as a french press for my camping trips. At home and up north I use a drip coffee maker. Planning on getting the above machine as well. Some friends brought their own lol. I too use a kettle the same as Melts for teas left over from my camping days.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Pucksterguy, you and I are on the same wave length. I also bought a Baccarat Italico stove-top coffee maker (get 2-3 cups out of it - you can buy larger) and it makes very good, strong coffee over the gas jet. Of course, it doesn't froth the milk, but I have a handy little saucepan with a pouring lip that froths (and overboils if not watching) the milk just right. I didn't research any of this - we had the old fashioned Baccarat style coffee maker when I was growing up in the 1960's - and I remember my mother using it for making after dinner coffees at dinner parties.

Of course, it's not plug-in and push-button, one touch does all, and it does take a little extra work, but it's very easy to keep clean, and basically reliable as all hell.

160_324764207.jpg

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Note for the serious hot drink lovers: you can also froth your hot milk for a midnight hot chocolate! (Something I do for my daughter, if she comes home late. Alas, diabetes has put the stopper on some of the sweet things of life for me).

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'll put in a vote for the kettle.

The main reason is that you can boil water for whatever you like in it, and as I drink tea rather than coffee, this fits. Actually, I've recently found a brand of ground dried mushroom extracts that I like too. Reishi, lion's mane and chaga types of mushrooms are available as well as one of those 3 (I forget which) added to coffee.
The other reason is that I love the singing of the kettle, even if I do often tell it to be quiet:D

Oh, and I am all for gas stoves for ease of boiling water and cooking (or burning:bag) all things on the stovetop.

Reactions: Stargazer
Which is better?

I mean if you used/converted to it.

I for one love both of them. Now, I'm in the middle road with this and especially we are moving. I have no whatsoever clue as to which one I should use. Since I'm pretty much going to be the one whom drinks more then my sister and her bf.
I am back with what I haven chosen to get. Basically, I chose keurig because I figured that’s much easier in the long run. In which I will also use this for tea as well.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
After using a tea kettle, drip coffee maker, and K cup coffee maker I prefer the tea kettle or just a pot to boil water in, then I don't have so many gadgets. I use a pour-over system for any kind of tea or coffee and I can make as many cups as I like, or just one cup. I also use coffee filters to hold popcorn too, for a snack.

I really need to have a "nearly free" sale to get rid of some of my stuff. ;)

EDIT: There are many pour over systems to choose from. Amazon link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laron and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I've also had 2 Keurig-type machines die after only using them 2 years each. So that's another reason why I don't use K-cup machines.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila

Sam Vause

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
This thread reminds me of the phrase "Better living through chemistry....!"

I, too, must have coffee - lots of it - to function. Kcups are my preferred "quick" coffee / hot chocolate method, but the French Press is my all-time favorite coffee, hands-down.

(Wow - that couple of sentences was loaded with idioms - nothing like beating up a translation service, eh? :))

• Cool Post
Reactions: Snowmelt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)