China picks Tibet / Mongolia for simulated Mars colony (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I like keeping an eye on the mars missions and upcoming projects. It's always been a fascination of mine, anything related to colonizing other worlds. I recall reading a great series about mars by Kim Stanley Robinson when I was younger — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy.

mars.jpg
Image credit: NASA

So now an agreement is in place to build a village, based around how a village would be on Mars, in the Tibet Plateau, specifically the Haixi Mongolian and Tibetan autonomous Prefecture.

It has a desert that occupies three fourths of the entire province, which is north west of China, and which has been established for thousands of years based on erosion and wind. It's therefore very similar to the conditions of Mars.

There's going to be a Mars community and camp. It will not only help plan missions to Mars, but is meant to boost tourism in the area.

Last year NASA finished a year-long survival mission in a mock Mars colony, in Hawaii. A similar experiment in the USA — the Utah desert — lasted 80 days.

Russia also hosted an isolation experiment called “Mars 500” that lasted more than 500 days. That length of time was required based on how long it took a spaceship to fly from Earth to Mars.

Humans are likely already on Mars based on the secret space programs using alien technology, but still, all this is fascinating stuff what they get up to.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/397574-china-desert-mars-village/

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
That is soon for a planned Chinese humanned Mars landing: 2020!
Only 3 years away...

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
BTW, I think the Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs was my first set of sci fi books.
I also enjoyed Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series... much more updated, lol!

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I wonder why I have such a interest in Mars. Perhaps because it's really the only planet that can sustain life properly in one form or another. I guess if there were other planets similar to Earth and/or Mars close by that were so well researched, I would love them too!

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Reactions: Stargazer and Laron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)