Cannellini Beans (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've been using these beans in my cooking because they stay firm and add substance to my traditional one-pot meals. (I am the queen of one dish cooking!)

When I use them, I can reduce the amount of or omit entirely meat from the dish. It turns out they are full of health benefits, too. They are native to the Americas and are valued for their ability to absorb spices. Some people call them white kidney beans. You might find this article about all the health benefits interesting.

The most important advantage of white kidney beans is that they help prevent the body from a lot of harmful toxins as they strengthen the immune system to a great extent. White kidney beans are abundant in protein. They also contain copious amounts of antioxidants, dietary fiber, and iron. Cannellini beans also have a lot of vitamin K. The mineral range of white kidney beans is also vast; they contain an abundance of phosphorous, copper, calcium, potassium, molybdenum and manganese. Cannellini beans are an ideal natural dietary supplement to cure cardiovascular diseases, several types of cancer, high cholesterol related complications, heightened blood sugar levels. It may also prove to be beneficial in the treatment of colorectal adenomas and prevention of wrinkles.

https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/11-benefits-cannellini-beans/

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Love that you posted about these white kidney beans. Linda, would you be willing to share your recipes? As a mom, I am always on the lookout for meals like these.
Thank you. <3

Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'm a seat of the pants cook, so there are not recipes per se. Tonight I sautéed one small onion (my next to last Vidalia), small chicken breast sliced into little pieces, and can of the beans with the juice. After 15 minutes I added one large tomato sliced into small pieces, a bunch of parsley, and some riced broccoli. I seasoned with salt and pepper only because onion and tomato were fresh and tasty.

I found something new at Natural Grocers - frozen riced broccoli and sweet potatoes. They make a nice addition to a meal. If you have someone who is not a big fan of broccoli, this is a good way to slip it in.

I also use them with spinach, tomatoes, onions and a small amount of chickpea pasta. One other thing I've done is add the beans and more veggies to left overs to make a new meal.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Nom nom. I love cannellini beans. Those and black beans are my go tos.

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I've found that when making chili, cannellini beans make it a popular dish. More than any other beans I know of. It's kind of an amazing effect. I usually use half cannellinis with half dark beans such as kidney beans, pintos or another, depending on what I've got around.

I also love to have them as a great source of protein. And it is so true about mixing well with spices. They just make everything meld together into one great taste! Love them.

Reactions: Anaeika
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Ahh - the great chili conundrum - I was contemplating whether or not write about this as I was walking through the house. Then I got my answer - I heard "Don't Rock the Jukebox" coming from the office.

Chili has all kinds of versions in all kinds of places. However, within the borders of Texas, there is only one true chili, and just as there is no crying in baseball, there are no beans in chili. :)):)):))

Reactions: Anaeika and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Lol, I can't imagine chili without beans.
But then, I'm not Texan:ROFL:

Reactions: Linda and Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I may live in Texas but that is new to me, but am not native. So is it just meat and chilli seasoning?
I make chilli w black beans bc I am allergic to pinto, navy, & kidney beans. I wonder if I am allergic to this one bc it is also called a white kidney bean? ?? Guess I can try it and find out.

Reactions: Linda and Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Oh dear, I guess that info was missing from your welcome packet - lol.

I looked on line for a chili recipe rather than search through my kitchen files and found a good one. It has a surprise ingredient - cocoa powder. It might seem strange, but chocolate and peppers go together very well. I'm going to try it next time. Using Mexican oregano is important because regular oregano will not translate.

Now, I do not go through the whole chili simmering and paste making process. I substitute ancho powder for the first 2 ingredients, use ground cumin seeds, and no one complains. I don't use lard and substitute a plain oil or butter.

But don’t look for a united Texan front when it comes to defining “authentic” (except for a near universal, almost hysterical aversion to the inclusion of beans).

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/chili-recipe-no-beans/

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I learned something new today (about no beans in chilli). Thanks Linda!

I think this recipe originally comes from Spain (maybe Andalusia?) but it is White Bean and Black Olive Soup. It's in my Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. Her recipe uses dried, raw pea beans, but I substitute canned Cannellini beans and it's quick and easy.

(makes 6 servings) Saute in 3Tbs olive oil, beginning with onions and garlic -

3 - 4 cloves of crushed garlic
1 heaping cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped pepper
1 cup zucchini chunks
1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
black pepper
1 tsp marjoram or oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil

Add to: 4 cups stock or water
3 oz tomato paste (1/2 small can)
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 cups Cannellini beans
1 cup sliced black olives
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Simmer, covered, over very low heat - about 1/2 hour. Just before serving, add 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley. Optional garnish: freshly diced tomato

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016

I think this recipe originally comes from Spain (maybe Andalusia?) but it is White Bean and Black Olive Soup. It's in my Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. Her recipe uses dried, raw pea beans, but I substitute canned Cannellini beans and it's quick and easy.

1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped pepper
1 cup zucchini chunks
black pepper
1 1/2 tsp basil

1/4 cup dry red wine
2 cups Cannellini beans
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Simmer, covered, over very low heat - about 1/2 hour. Just before serving, add 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley. Optional garnish: freshly diced tomato
I saved this recipe and will try it. Thank you! Looks healthy!

Reactions: Lila and Linda

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016

1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped pepper
1 cup zucchini chunks
black pepper
1 1/2 tsp basil

1/4 cup dry red wine
2 cups Cannellini beans
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Looks tasty! And I can use a lot of farm veggies in that. Sadly my husband wouldn't try it though, as he doesn't like olives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)