Boss of Royal Dutch Shell Oil shopping for an electric car (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The article mentions this as a tipping point, which is an idea that interests me. When is that moment that something obscure goes mainstream? I think when the head of an oil company looks for an electric car might be one. BTW - it likely is a Mercedes, but you probably guessed that.

As I look at new ideas and trends, I think about how they will transfer into the lifestyle of the people right here in central Texas. There are many things that work well in densely developed cities that do not translate so well to the wide open spaces. Until recently, electric cars were too small for most of us driving on the highways and carrying passengers. Also, there are issues about recharging the vehicle and length of battery charge. Currently, the recharging capacity comes through the big electric plants - coal, nuclear, etc.

Another reason this article is interesting is that goes further and looks at localized energy production. Now you have my attention because I believe in local rather than central services. While the information is about solar power generated individually, I believe that once local / neighborhood stations are commonplace, they can easily be converted to another free energy source.

Ben van Beurden, the Royal Dutch Shell boss, last week delivered the clearest indication yet that the burgeoning electric vehicle industry is already hastening the decline of global oil demand. “When that will be is not certain. But that it will happen, we are certain,” he told investors.

It was not so much a foil to the group trebling second quarter profits as a statement of intent: for “Big Oil” it is time to adapt or die, and Shell intends to adapt.

The Anglo-Dutch giant is already shifting its focus from drilling for oil to natural gas, but within the next year Shell will unveil early plans for a deeper presence in renewable energy and the electrical chain to tap the boom in electric vehicles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/29/electric-jolt-roused-big-oil/

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
We know someone who has solar panels that cover the bulk of their electric uses, including their electric car. So far, the have found they also need a gas vehicle for some tips but that, too, is bound to change.

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)