Avocados - More good reasons to add them to your diet (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Those of us who are a bit older may recall the ads featuring Angie Dickinson telling us to eat avocados, and who could argue with her. Years later, we have even more reasons to make them a frequent part of our diets.

BTW, I will share my neighbor's excellent recipe for guacamole. Chop the avocado into small chunks, add a little fresh lime juice, and a touch of sea salt. Once you taste this, you will never go back to versions with mayo or cream.

A number of studies have documented the possible health benefits of avocado. A study reported by Medical News Today in 2014, for example, found that eating half an avocado with lunch may aid weight loss, while more recent research linked the fruit to reduced levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, known as "bad" cholesterol.

These benefits have been attributed to the bioactive components of avocados, which include carotenoids, fatty acids, minerals such as calcium, iron, and zinc, and vitamins A, B, C, and E.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316885.php

It comes as no surprise that 23% of American adults have metabolic syndrome, which means a person may have several risk factors for Type 2 diabetes, heart attack, or stroke. The lovely avocado may help by decreasing belly fat, bad cholesterol, and high blood sugar.

The next time you are the grocery store, pick up some avocados and fresh limes. They might be a little pricey, but a lot cheaper than medication.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
They might be a little pricey, but a lot cheaper than medication.
That would encapsulate my personal philosophy on eating good food wherever I can find it. Plus, who wants to become sick if you can build foundation by making a habit of eating quality food that tastes good?

Mayo or cream in guacamole?!?o_Os:p
I do like to add a bit of cilantro and mango for a treat.
Makes a nice simple shared meal in a bowl (for good friends or family) once you add chips or something to spoon it into your mouth withO.o:D

Avocados are just one of those complete foods that comes individually prewrapped, each in its own skin.
Great with tomatoes.
Just handle with care so they don't bruiseo:)

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Avocados also reduce prostaglandins, which reduces pain and inflammation associated w the menstrual cycle, arthritis, & back/spinal pain.

Reactions: Stargazer and Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)