Amazon Go Stores (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Amazon is testing a new shopping idea in Seattle. It is called "just walk out". You touch your phone to a machine as you enter and it records the items you take off the shelf. Then you just leave, and the cost of the items are deducted from your bank account.

There is a certain appeal to me about this idea. How many times have we gone to the grocery store for just a few items and get caught up in the lines? The stores already track what we buy, so that ship has sailed.

I am including a link to an article about this idea that I read on Linked in. It is a thoughtful consideration of the pros and cons and is a short read. Also, I found one of the responses to the article very interesting and include it below.

This is why governments are exploring the idea of basic income, because machines will free up people from basic jobs. I don't think its fair to turn down opportunities to innovate and make our lives easier on justification that it will keep people employed, how many times have you met a happy cashier at your local store or even bothered talk to them about anything purposeful? I think the intent is the key to assessing this problem, people can easily be hired to perform other functions, e.g. customer service, offer in-store help, provide maintenance, etc. as long as the employer is not intent on maximizing profit margins rather than providing value for money. This problem goes beyond technology, its heavily compounded through politics and the financial system. By Bogdan Lazarev.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-amazongo-stores-transforming-shopping-industry-didac-hormiga

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
If these kind of stores are done with value to the customer, then staff is available to answer questions.

One of the stores in which I shop is a much smaller grocery store that sells organic foods and natural products. Here the selection is more limited, but the heads of departments are very knowledgeable and can answer questions. The surprising thing is that their prices generally are in line with those of the big store.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
With all we've learned about Amazon, FB, and the like, I'm not sure I would be a big fan today because it is likely "they" would be harvesting all the data from our phones.

Reactions: Stargazer and Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
With all we've learned about Amazon, FB, and the like, I'm not sure I would be a big fan today because it is likely "they" would be harvesting all the data from our phones.
That is the way of the future so that advertisements can change when we walk past to reflect our interests!

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)