Always read the fine print (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I came across this article today about the DNA testing from Ancestry.com. I was suspicious of this new service when it came out. Yet, at the same time, it seemed like such an interesting idea.

The upshot is that the fine print contains agreements for you to sign away all your rights to your own DNA. Also, it mentions genetic relatives, too. In other words, you and your family have no recourse against any problems caused by their actions, as well as any proceeds earned by the same.

There are three significant provisions in the AncestryDNA Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to consider on behalf of yourself and your genetic relatives: (1) the perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide license to use your DNA; (2) the warning that DNA information may be used against “you or a genetic relative”; (3) your waiver of legal rights.

https://medium.com/@MedicalReport/ancestry-com-takes-dna-ownership-rights-from-customers-and-their-relatives-dbafeed02b9e

Last edited:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hmmm, I received one of these as a gift, always meant to do it and never got around to it.
Maybe I am glad of this.
Thanks for reading the fine print 'out loud' to us!:eek:

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
I was suspicious of this new service when it came out. Yet, at the same time, it seemed like such an interesting idea.
I have the same reaction Linda. Do you get the feeling, specially after what you found, that what they are really doing is "collecting" DNA/data for a real purpose hidden to the people? Looks too a bit like a "black market" being developed -like the one that collected the phones/addresses of people that donated money to certain causes that then were sold to other "charity" enterprises -in part why we get so many unsolicited phone calls at home.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
There is a big genome project in Iceland that is collecting as much DNA as possible because it is a homogeneous population. The intent is to learn more about how DNA works. Then there is CRISPR, which is almost to the point of being able to "flip the switch" to stop hereditary diseases. Both of the projects are science based.

Then we have Ancestry, a for profit company, collecting the same kind of information. I avoid going into those negative rabbit holes, but IMO, after what I learned today, this one bears more investigation if someone wants to use this service.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
There is a big genome project in Iceland that is collecting as much DNA as possible because it is a homogeneous population. The intent is to learn more about how DNA works. Then there is CRISPR, which is almost to the point of being able to "flip the switch" to stop hereditary diseases. Both of the projects are science based.

Then we have Ancestry, a for profit company, collecting the same kind of information. I avoid going into those negative rabbit holes, but IMO, after what I learned today, this one bears more investigation if someone wants to use this service.
I've been tempted to do one of these tests, just to confirm my own feelings that I may have some Native American somewhere in my gene pool...but I've always had the bothersome feeling that this kind of testing has some hidden, negative purpose/uses behind it. For example, I can easily see where one's DNA could unknowingly be used to connect that person to a yet unsolved crime (not that that is necessarily a bad thing). It could also be used to identify certain people who, based upon their genetics, might one day be hunted down and persecuted by a future control organization.

On one hand, I try not to give too much credit to any "fear-based" thinking. I trust that I, as long as I stand strong in my sovereignty, I need no protection.

On the other, I can't seem to overcome my reluctance to take one of these tests.

At the end of the day, I suppose my genetic "lineage" doesn't really matter. I am a "cosmic citizen", an Aspect of Source, and as such, at some level am All That Is! :)

Lois

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
I've also always been interested in seeing my genetic road map for this body, just like Stargazer - but certainly not under those terms!

I'm a Brit/European and can't get back more than a few generations before everything gets lost... so I've always been curious. I know there must be an ancestor from the first human farming communities which sprung up around the Black Sea in Turkey around 10,000 years ago because I have blue eyes and this weird recessive gene trait first appeared in that same time and place... any other blue eyes out there - we're related by that common ancestor!

One of my cousins married a Maori and they have the tradition of the 'chains of me', which are all your ancestors who have lead to the creation of you. Just as you're a link in the chain for those who come.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Could there be some genetics linked to clairvoyance, ability to astral project, etc, that some are seeking?

Regardless, as Stargazer says, staying fast in my own sovereignty seems an obvious key +. as Linda points out, so does discernment.

Putting these two together, i.e. standing fast in my own sovereignty while using my discernment, seems like the place I'd like to stand, particularly in such good company. For that last, I am ever so grateful to have my feelings confirmed.

Don Hicks

Involved Wayfarer
Mar 19, 2017
Virginia
www.facebook.com
I came across this article today about the DNA testing from Ancestry.com. I was suspicious of this new service when it came out. Yet, at the same time, it seemed like such an interesting idea.

The upshot is that the fine print contains agreements for you to sign away all your rights to your own DNA. Also, it mentions genetic relatives, too. In other words, you and your family has no recourse against any problems caused by their actions, as well as any proceeds earned by the same.

There are three significant provisions in the AncestryDNA Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to consider on behalf of yourself and your genetic relatives: (1) the perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide license to use your DNA; (2) the warning that DNA information may be used against “you or a genetic relative”; (3) your waiver of legal rights.

https://medium.com/@MedicalReport/ancestry-com-takes-dna-ownership-rights-from-customers-and-their-relatives-dbafeed02b9e
I've always been a bit concerned with the amount of information Ancestry.com and other genealogy sites gather. Some people seem oblivious to the fact they're giving these sites their:

Full Name
Birthdate
Birthplace
Address
Credit Card info
Former addresses
Mother's name (and maiden name)
Parent/Siblings/children's names
And DNA...
Not to mention the site then has knowledge of all your other family members

What a wonderful resource this would be to identity thieves or the Government.

I think I'll pass... :) :)

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I ran across a new product - a 3D printer that "prints" human tissue for research studies.

It occurred to me (this is my opinion only) that if someone wanted to research how a procedure or drug would affect tissue with a specific genetic make-up, they would need the DNA sequence. If one was not readily available, then they would have to purchase it from some sort of data bank, right?

Just a thought ..........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)